Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Expansions for expansions  (Read 4002 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
Expansions for expansions
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:59:30 am »
+1

Could someone think of a practical case for this?  This could be expansions that require another expansion, or could also make use of an expansion for further gameplay options.  IIRC, Rio Grande Games is generally not too keen on this sort of thing due to too many prerequisites imposed on gamers (although there have been exceptions). Whether it was due to this, or by design anyways, many mechanics and components ended up being compartmentalized anyways, while also being modular.  Things that are just cards could be more easily reprinted (e.g. more Durations)

Closest thing we have is how Empires added more VP tokens, which was first introduced in Prosperity.  On one hand, it was nice having a new set of metal tokens, especially the '2' denomination.  OTOH, this would add to the price of the game of someone who already had the required set.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Expansions for expansions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:28:32 am »
+3

For some people, the Intrigue Update pack was an expansion to an expansion.

RGG is not too interested in expanding expansions, and I'm not either. Adventures was kind of a Seaside sequel, and Empires kind of a Prosperity sequel, but of course they don't require the older sets, and it doesn't make sense to.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:59:36 am »

I’d rather revisit old mechanics in new standalone expansions than have expansions which require expansions to work. Too niche.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Update Packs to a few of the older expansions in several years, I guess, but most of the problem cards are out and the rest are fun.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 07:16:10 pm »
+4

I know I'm in the minority, but I would love an Alchemy II. Honestly, I just want more use for the potions, since as the card pool continues to expand, the potion is worth less and less. The value of debt cards won't change because the value of is intrinsically tied to , which is obv. in every set. The value of coin tokens won't change, because they basically ARE . But the more the card pool expands without adding new potion cards, the more likely it is that buying a potion will just be you going out of your way to get that one -cost card in the kingdom. You wouldn't even necessarily require having Alchemy I, because you can easily use the card slots that went to things like Hexes and Boons and States and Heirlooms to just give people an extra set of potions.

Something more likely to happen that I would like to see is a Guilds sequel. I love the coin tokens (+Coffers now I guess? I never new about the change until I saw it on variants and fan cards.) and I would love to see it put together with some durations (since those are evergreen now?) or other newer concepts
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 04:41:28 am »

I know I'm in the minority, but I would love an Alchemy II.

You may not even be, but Donald has repeatedly stated that there'll be no more potion cost cards.

Honestly, I just want more use for the potions, since as the card pool continues to expand, the potion is worth less and less.

This is a feature of the randomisation mechanism in ShuffleIT. In real life, we choose two or three expansions and randomise cards out of those. Everything else would be too much of a hassle. This allows for more situations for shelters or colonies as well. Choosig clustered sampling would be one of my feature requests for Shuffle IT.

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 05:02:54 am »

In real life, we choose two or three expansions and randomise cards out of those. Everything else would be too much of a hassle. This allows for more situations for shelters or colonies as well.

Actually, I own seven sets and I still usually play full random. It helps that I have all of my cards stored in maps instead of the original boxes.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 05:37:09 am »

I have them sorted by expansion, then alphabet. Has something to do with that the dividers i used to download and print were organised that way (with left-right alternating tabs). But indeed also with the fact that some cards from same expansion tend to synergize with each other. To pick up an Overlord with a City Quarter because you have Charm in play feels good, being able to turn down the traveller token with Giant, then turn it up with Pilgrimage is a nice tactical twist.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 12:44:31 pm »

Choosing clustered sampling would be one of my feature requests for Shuffle IT.

You know you can just choose to play with a certain subset of the expansions, right?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 01:32:01 pm »

I haven't done the math, but have we not already passed the point where it's not reasonable to expect more than 1 Potion-cost card in the same Kingdom with full-random?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 01:45:44 pm »

Choosing clustered sampling would be one of my feature requests for Shuffle IT.

You know you can just choose to play with a certain subset of the expansions, right?

With automatch?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 02:10:24 pm »

In real life, we choose two or three expansions and randomise cards out of those. Everything else would be too much of a hassle. This allows for more situations for shelters or colonies as well.

Actually, I own seven sets and I still usually play full random. It helps that I have all of my cards stored in maps instead of the original boxes.

I’ve been doing this, but my case is getting wayyyy too heavy to bring anywhere now. Pretty soon i’m going to make / print? custom boxes for each expansion that nest into a bigger box (or two) - that way, I can grab the base cards and two sets on the go to bring to a friend’s house or whatever. Full Random is also a lot harder for players who don’t know everything already.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 02:20:30 pm »

I’ve been doing this, but my case is getting wayyyy too heavy to bring anywhere now. Pretty soon i’m going to make / print? custom boxes for each expansion that nest into a bigger box (or two) - that way, I can grab the base cards and two sets on the go to bring to a friend’s house or whatever. Full Random is also a lot harder for players who don’t know everything already.

This is what I do, except I keep the boxes in a duffel-style bag rather than another box. I find it works really well. Except that Dominion has become too large to fit inside the bag, so I have to keep a couple of the boxes elsewhere. And when I do want to bring all of Dominion somewhere, I have to transport those other boxes separately.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 06:06:08 am »

Full Random is also a lot harder for players who don’t know everything already.

True. If I play with newer players, I usually play Base the first 2-3 games and then maybe add 1 or 2 expansions if they want.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:47 pm »

This is what I do, except I keep the boxes in a duffel-style bag rather than another box. I find it works really well. Except that Dominion has become too large to fit inside the bag, so I have to keep a couple of the boxes elsewhere. And when I do want to bring all of Dominion somewhere, I have to transport those other boxes separately.

Consider only bringing a subset of cards.  If your group is "less hardcore", than you probably won't play more than 4 games in a gaming meet up, so you can bring everything you need at a fraction of the weight and volume.  240 start and "always on" cards, plus 30 to 100 Kingdom cards provide sufficient variety (1 medium box, or several "Magic tuck boxes"), as opposed to having to bring base game + 11 expansions (and counting :p) worth of the game.

Otherwise, I've seen folks bring 10 expansions worth of cards, but it's on a wheeled cart :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:40:06 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.