Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  All

Author Topic: Kudasai's Random Dominion Cards  (Read 59892 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Kudasai's Random Dominion Cards
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2019, 10:29:44 am »

Is this supposed to be a reflex game, like you have to put your hand down on the table as soon as someone plays this? And how long does the "after" last? When is it safe to pick your cards back up? And can you avoid the attack entirely by just leaving your hand on the table until it's your turn?

Either way, the name is awesome.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 25, 2019, 02:28:19 pm »

Is this supposed to be a reflex game, like you have to put your hand down on the table as soon as someone plays this? And how long does the "after" last? When is it safe to pick your cards back up? And can you avoid the attack entirely by just leaving your hand on the table until it's your turn?

Either way, the name is awesome.

Answers in the order that you asked them:
(1) Yes
(2) Until the player that played Drunken Witch follows the +1 Card instruction and draws a card.
(3) Probably the same as above, but Curses should only really go out the very instant the token hits the Villager mat. Is there room to argue this? Certainly.
(4) Yes, but as the name implies this card is best used if people are a bit inebriated. Simple things like this become much harder.

I've updated this to make the Cursing window more clear and to remove the Attack card type. Now those poor suckers who try and React with a Moat in hand will get a Curse instead! Muh-hahaha. Also, this now has a strange interaction with the -1 Card token in that it makes the Cursing window much larger.

Can anyone else this of fun physical elements to bring into Dominion? I'm sure there are some great Duration and "While this is in play" things that could be used to great effect.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 27, 2019, 03:06:18 pm »
+1

Drunken Witch is merely meant to be for fun, but I can't help but try and solve the issue of player's merely not holding their cards when it is not their turn. With some excellent help from my girlfriend this is the next iteration.

Split Pile - Drunken Witch (5 cards on top) / Brewer (5 cards on bottom):

Brewer - Besides being a pretty strong Coffers gainer, it now creates an incentive for players to have their cards in their hand. Paired with Drunken Witch though you just never know what a player is going to play. Naturally reflexive players may not need to worry though!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:35:32 am by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 28, 2019, 11:19:13 pm »

Messing around with some wacky trashers. They are both a bit of a stretch, but I wanted to get a sense of what people think.

Head Hunters - A different take on Masquerade. The idea is to have a powerful trasher that can hurt players if decks get too thin. Having a Head Hunter in play initially helps opponents trash by accelerating trashers. Even playing a Head Hunter with another players Head Hunter in play will make you trash. But in the end you could end up chunking your engine components or worse.

Cleric - This is a pretty strong trasher on its own, but it can only be played if you're behind on VP tokens. Occasionally playing Cleric is not great, so its real power comes when you can play multiple Clerics during a turn. Probably too swingy.

(Note: I borrowed the name Cleric and it's image from Udzu's card of the same name)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 28, 2019, 11:43:25 pm »
+1

Doesn't the -1 Card token break Drunk Witch? It's very difficult to track and people can't exactly play cards without physically holding any cards. (The -1 Card token would prevent the Drunken Witch from drawing, so "until you draw your next card" would last longer than intended.) I would prevent this situation with "until this card is resolved." That way, losing the -1 Card token would be the call for when you're allowed to hold your cards without getting Cursed.

I assume that if you're tied for having the most VP tokens, you don't do the latter part. If that's the case, isn't Cleric just an Action-Copper if there's no other source of VP tokens? Also, why trash it at the end of your turn instead of immediately?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:44:36 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 28, 2019, 11:49:44 pm »
+1

Doesn't the -1 Card token break Drunk Witch? It's very difficult to track and people can't exactly play cards without physically holding any cards. (The -1 Card token would prevent the Drunken Witch from drawing, so "until you draw your next card" would last longer than intended.)

Also, this now has a strange interaction with the -1 Card token in that it makes the Cursing window much larger.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 29, 2019, 12:57:10 am »

Doesn't the -1 Card token break Drunk Witch? It's very difficult to track and people can't exactly play cards without physically holding any cards. (The -1 Card token would prevent the Drunken Witch from drawing, so "until you draw your next card" would last longer than intended.) I would prevent this situation with "until this card is resolved." That way, losing the -1 Card token would be the call for when you're allowed to hold your cards without getting Cursed.

This was an oversight, but I kind of like this niche strategy. It will likely prove too wonky, but for now I'm going to see how it plays out. As rare as the combination would be, I'd like to try it out first before cutting.

I assume that if you're tied for having the most VP tokens, you don't do the latter part. If that's the case, isn't Cleric just an Action-Copper if there's no other source of VP tokens? Also, why trash it at the end of your turn instead of immediately?

Yes, being tied is not having the most so you can still trash. This probably will lead to a back and forth on Estate trashing without much wonkiness. The delayed trashing is there to allow multiple Clerics to be played for their trashing effect during the same turn without putting you over on your VP token limit. The whole idea is to chain multiple Clerics in a single turn for huge VP token gains, then having to suffer with it just being a weak Action Copper.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 29, 2019, 01:29:51 am »
+1

This was an oversight, but I kind of like this niche strategy. It will likely prove too wonky, but for now I'm going to see how it plays out. As rare as the combination would be, I'd like to try it out first before cutting.

Yes, being tied is not having the most so you can still trash. This probably will lead to a back and forth on Estate trashing without much wonkiness. The delayed trashing is there to allow multiple Clerics to be played for their trashing effect during the same turn without putting you over on your VP token limit. The whole idea is to chain multiple Clerics in a single turn for huge VP token gains, then having to suffer with it just being a weak Action Copper.

I think the wording for Cleric would make most people assume that tied for having the most is considered having the most. I would consider the wording "If you don't have the most VP tokens (or are tied for having the most)..."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 29, 2019, 05:40:19 am »
+1

I think the wording for Cleric would make most people assume that tied for having the most is considered having the most.
Most is indeed ambiguous but not the most isn't. The former can mean > as well as ≥ but not the most always means ≤.

Cleric is a pretty cool card. You can simply gain none and block the opponent in a 2P game but in multiplayer you are pretty much forced to buy at least one and then there might be some endgame shenanigans like playing several copies while piling out.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 29, 2019, 05:42:09 am »
+1

Finally Dame Anna isn't the only Knight that can trash your junk anymore! 

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 29, 2019, 10:03:22 am »
+1

Typo: It should say "any other player," not "any another player."

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 29, 2019, 10:57:48 am »
+1

The new promo card is also a 3-cost Duration which is possibly (based on the name) a trasher!
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 29, 2019, 07:03:38 pm »

The new promo card is also a 3-cost Duration which is possibly (based on the name) a trasher!

Very true! My bet is on a duration Salvager.

+1 Action
+1 Buy
At the start of your next turn, trash a card from your hand. +$1 per $1 it cost.

Cost: $3

Not very exciting for a promo, but it could be quite risky and fun to play. I'm not sure if this is what a Duration Salvager would look like, but something along these lines.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:08:12 pm by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2019, 06:00:26 pm »

A card that didn't make the cut for this weeks competition. Base-line testing shows this is fairly balanced, but ultimately I wanted to submit something with more pop. The idea is you want a little bit of trashing to play these more often, but not enough so that you don't get the VP tokens. Otherwise, you're paying $6 for what is a $4.5 value.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 08, 2019, 10:10:55 pm »
+2

A card that didn't make the cut for this weeks competition. Base-line testing shows this is fairly balanced, but ultimately I wanted to submit something with more pop. The idea is you want a little bit of trashing to play these more often, but not enough so that you don't get the VP tokens. Otherwise, you're paying $6 for what is a $4.5 value.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

It seems way too easy to get the +VP to just cost . It seems like you'd be getting the VP more often than not, unlike with Gardener, which doesn't give and only costs less.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 09, 2019, 08:23:40 am »
+1

I think that this is a pretty good shot at a VP cantrip as it disables any pure VP engine.
The problem are in my opinion not un-thinned decks, here Blasphemer probably cannot compete with Gold for BM.
But in a Kingdom with enough engine pieces, such that you trashed most of your junk but still have a relatively thick deck, Blasphemer could be too good.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2019, 03:02:23 pm »

I think this version of Blasphemer is too problematic for some of the reasons you both mentioned and others as well. After taking another look at the data I collect, this does seem too strong. It easily outscores BM and Chapel BM. Even at $7 it achieves all of this. Well it was worth a shot, but this doesn't seem like it can be balanced.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2019, 01:58:56 pm »
+1

Has anyone messed around with global effects that happen when a card is in the trash? This probably isn't the best idea, but here's a rough example:

The overall concept seems interesting but tough to balance. Anyone have any other card ideas like this?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2019, 02:08:51 pm »
+1

Has anyone messed around with global effects that happen when a card is in the trash? This probably isn't the best idea, but here's a rough example:

The overall concept seems interesting but tough to balance. Anyone have any other card ideas like this?

For this specific example:
You'd probably want to include a track that tells the +$ value for copper (kinda like what I did with Commodity/the Market Demand track), lest someone trash three of these and all the sudden coppers are worth $4 each.

For benefit-for-everyone/global effects:
There's a little of this with my "Causes" card type; I'm working on a couple helps-everyone-but-doubly-helps-you cards with my newest set

but I haven't messed with too much in terms of cards that modify base cards

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2019, 02:47:01 pm »
+1

I really like this idea, I might steal this concept :) . Though it's a bit difficult to work around the fact that this card is almost useless without trashing, though the +1 buy here counters it pretty well.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2019, 05:26:05 pm »
+1

I don't think that Ore is useless, you do often enough use Charm as a non-terminal Woodcutter. The way I read it, Kudasai picked a fairly vanilla-ish card in order to focus on this cool, innovative idea. And the extra Buy is potentially useful to more easily "reload" Ores, after having trashed them.

I guess that it will matter most in Kingdoms with Remodel variants. If there is Copper trashing (OK, if there are $2s you can also use Remodel to get rid of Coppers), the tempo advantage of trashing Coppers likely dominates keeping Coppers and later "converting" them into Silvers/Golds/...

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2019, 03:05:00 pm »
+1

For this specific example:
You'd probably want to include a track that tells the +$ value for copper (kinda like what I did with Commodity/the Market Demand track), lest someone trash three of these and all the sudden coppers are worth $4 each.

For benefit-for-everyone/global effects:
There's a little of this with my "Causes" card type; I'm working on a couple helps-everyone-but-doubly-helps-you cards with my newest set

but I haven't messed with too much in terms of cards that modify base cards

Trashing that occurs during your Buy phase can lead to some interesting tracking issues (i.e. Counterfeit), but mostly I think it should be fine. The trash pile can be organized in a way that the number of Ores in the trash can easily be counted.

As for your cards, I really like the feel of them! They have a nice level of complexity, but not to the point where it's hard to track what's going on. Would like to hear how playtesting goes if that's in the near future.

I don't think that Ore is useless, you do often enough use Charm as a non-terminal Woodcutter. The way I read it, Kudasai picked a fairly vanilla-ish card in order to focus on this cool, innovative idea. And the extra Buy is potentially useful to more easily "reload" Ores, after having trashed them.

I guess that it will matter most in Kingdoms with Remodel variants. If there is Copper trashing (OK, if there are $2s you can also use Remodel to get rid of Coppers), the tempo advantage of trashing Coppers likely dominates keeping Coppers and later "converting" them into Silvers/Golds/...

Yes, I added the +$2 and +1 Buy as a sort of placeholder, but the more I look at it the more I think I'll keep it that way. Funny you mention Charm as I just played a game with that and used it mostly for +$2 and +1 Buy to great effect.

I'll have to see how hanging on to Coppers plays against trashing them. I hope both to be useful about 50% of the time.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2019, 04:57:46 pm »

Have you ever had to play with a person that just takes way too long with their turns? What if there were cards that used time as a mechanic? This would encourage faster play without someone having to be a jerk and ask others to get on with it. :) I also think fast and concise play is the mark of a good player. This may get newer players into the mindset of only buying and playing what they need to win.

I can think of two ways of tracking time:
(1) With a Stopwatch app on a phone. Easy to use and very accessible.
(2) With a series of hourglasses that increase in time. Requires a lot of hourglasses, may not be as accurate at tracking time, may not even have hourglasses that track lower times like 10 and 20 seconds, allows for more complex time mechanics.

Here are some basic cards to highlight the concept (using hourglasses):

Factory: A Lost City or Village depending on how fast you are. Will always be a LC on first play so having just one in your deck is good.

Clocktower: A way to apply a little pressure on others to take fast turns. You basically gamble on how long you think they will take. I'm not sure what time denominations should be available, but I think 10, 20, and 30 seconds is a good place to start. So gambling 30 seconds will reward you with 3 cards, but will give them a lot of time to take their turn. If they finish their turn before the 30 seconds is out, you get no cards.

Any thoughts? I get that this is a wonky idea. It kind of started out as a joke, but now I think it has some potential. 8)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:59:04 pm by Kudasai »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2019, 11:19:07 pm »
+1

it's an interesting direction to go, for sure - i think phone app is the way to go on these; idk if you keep up with other board games at all but Kitchen Rush had problems standardizing their hourglasses - some would be drastically longer/shorter than others. I think it'd be interesting to put together the equivalent of a mtg Un-set for Dominion, and timed cards would be really interesting avenue to go down.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2019, 01:14:07 pm »

I can say right away that Factory is too good. It doesn't take much thought to play a string of Lost Cities.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.