Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  All

Author Topic: Kudasai's Random Dominion Cards  (Read 59917 times)

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: Kudasai's Random Dominion Cards
« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2018, 04:29:14 am »

Maybe using $3's would make it more interesting, as there's a lot more variety among them than $2's, mostly due to number available. It would probably need to cost a good bit more then, though. Maybe each player could get one $2 and one $3? That would get pretty wordy, I would think.
Anyway, I really like the concept, and think it's actually more interesting using lower-cost cards rather than $4+.

Yeah, I feel like I might be missing an opportunity here by limiting Bannerman to just $2 cost cards, but for my taste the $2 cost cards offer enough diversity to create some fun and interesting combinations without making the choice overwhelming.

This whole premise is based off of a card LastFootnote made called Offering (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18448.msg752924#msg752924). It believe it ultimately had some issues with swingyness, but I think there's a chance the drafting of $2 cost cards could make it a little more viable in competitive games.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 14, 2018, 02:15:21 pm »
+1

I like the change to Bannermen as it it introduces asymmetry (before the card was arguably "just" a Governor variant). At best this is something that is slightly better than a double Lab (Patrician+Courtyard).
This is something you should never do but, guess what, a cantrip that yields a VP token is something you never should do either. I also think that this is roughly balanced (this is just a hunch, crazy stuff like this does of course require testing), except perhaps for Colony games.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 03, 2019, 01:54:21 pm »

One of my play groups is a bit new to Dominion and they seem to really enjoy Throne Room (and variants), but don't quite get the chaining them together aspect for big hands. So my thought was to make a TR variant that rewards payload versus engine play, but could work with both if needed. This is a rough version of where I'd like to go with it:

Thoughts?
-What would you make this cost?
-Is this potentially too strong on some Kingdoms; too weak on others?

Thanks for looking and for any feedback!

[Version_0.2] Swapped the instructions text order so the +$1 check happens before the throning. This should reel in random buy power spikes and make tracking much easier.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:19:43 pm by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2019, 04:02:00 am »

Does anything know roughly what a Silver that may trash should cost? A Silver that is a forced trash? I'd imagine the latter would be somewhere around $4.5, but I'm less sure about the former. Is it worth $5? Should something like the following cost more than $5?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:03:09 am by Kudasai »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2019, 10:26:35 am »
+1

I'm not sure about what a good cost would be, but I would compare to Sauna to find one.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2019, 10:39:10 am »
+1

I was thinking Junk Dealer would be the place to look. Basically instead of and 1 card. And then the various differences between action and treasure, which I think tend overall slightly favor treasure due to not being able to draw dead.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2019, 10:50:33 am »
+1

Counterfeit seems like the obvious point of comparison to me. Loses the Buy, gives less money for trashing treasures, but gains the ability to trash non-treasures. I'd guess it ends up being a bit worse than Counterfeit overall but still seems like a solid $5 to me.

The other comparison I'd make is Priest, being a treasure seems significantly better than Priest's extra ability.

Edit: I somehow didn't see Ox when I wrote that and was just talking about a regular Silver that can trash.

I think Ox is fine at $5, have you tried it with a mandatory trash to make gaining a bunch early a little worse? Not really for power level reasons but it might make it play more interestingly.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:57:33 am by Gazbag »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:07 am »
+2

Oh yeah, Junk dealer might be a bit better. There's also the reaction to factor in, though. It's definitely at least a $5. The question is whether it's too powerful and needs to be a $6. I don't think so personally, but I could be wrong.

Plus, Junk Dealer to Ox is a similar comparison to the one between Bazaar and Festival.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2019, 06:24:37 pm »

Thanks for all the analysis. I was intially comparing this to Junk Dealer, but you all brought up many other good cards to consider for comparision. I wonder if Amulet should be thrown into the mix. I agree with Gazbag that this would be more interesting as a forced trasher. I haven't played any games with this yet, but this seems like a good place to start.

Also, I forgot to include that the Reaction can only occur during your Clean-up phase, so the window to gain an Ox is much smaller. This is mainly to counteract bottom decking your $5 cost trasher. Beyond that the added value is probably limited and this should be fine at $5. If it proves too weak, maybe I'll make it a conditional trasher.

Here's Ox with the correct wording:

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2019, 03:12:56 am »

Found this old card in my card files. Seems interesting, but probably broken. Any thoughts?

Anyone else have any Hero card (i.e. a card with the text "Gain a Treasure") ideas?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:52:27 am by Kudasai »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2019, 06:37:41 am »
+2

Seem rather weak to me. In an engine you are likely to have a $5 in play so it seems only good for money decks. You will probably get one or two but that's it, you will stop buying them earlier than you would stop buying Harems (Harem is a Silver on play whereas the benefit of Epic Hero comes one shuffle later).

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2019, 02:26:00 pm »

Seem rather weak to me. In an engine you are likely to have a $5 in play so it seems only good for money decks. You will probably get one or two but that's it, you will stop buying them earlier than you would stop buying Harems (Harem is a Silver on play whereas the benefit of Epic Hero comes one shuffle later).

Thanks for the input. These are probably some of the reasons I scrapped it years ago. It does seem rather weak. Although I like the decision making aspect of what Treasures to gain. Silvers won't collide with Epic Hero; Golds will but provide more income; and Epic Heros give 2VP but also collide. Maybe dropping it to $4 would make it more competitive. I guess I should think more on what I'd like this cards ultimate goal to be and go from there.

Anyways, I've got a few more if anyone is interested.

The first two I made awhile back, but Tejayes' Morning cards (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.1900) for the Weekly Design Contest inspired me to share. A current problem is they can technically create infinite loops, although to no real effect. Doing this does not generate any coin, it just spins the wheels forever. I could write something in to avoid this, but for now it seems unnecessary.

This last one is a more recent attempt at a Laboratory variant. It has the draw back of not being able to draw through a reshuffle, but has two benefits of adding coin if you've overdrawn and not forcing unwanted reshuffles. I'm unsure if this equals out to a $5 cost card. I have a feeling a card that is non-terminal and can draw and add coin might be too strong. Although early game you have little control over which you get. Any thoughts are appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:29:50 pm by Kudasai »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2019, 02:37:54 pm »
+1

This last one is a more recent attempt at a Laboratory variant. It has the draw back of not being able to draw through a reshuffle, but has two benefits of adding coin if you've overdrawn and not forcing unwanted reshuffles. I'm unsure if this equals out to a $5 cost card. I have a feeling a card that is non-terminal and can draw and add coin might be too strong. Although early game you have little control over which you get. Any thoughts are appreciated.

It definitely doesn't seem worth $5 to me. The most common effect by far is a Lab, but the other possible effects are either +1 Action and +$2 (which is worse than Silver since it can be drawn dead) or +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1, which is between Poacher and Market. Unfortunately, while I don't think it's quite strong enough for $5, I think it's also too strong for $4, since the "worse" effects rarely trigger anyways. I think it needs to be either nerfed or buffed.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2019, 07:23:35 am »

+1 Action and +$2 (which is worse than Silver since it can be drawn dead)
There are threads on this forum about the difference between Ducat and Candlestick Maker which show why the opposite is true. Action Silver is most definitely better than Silver. If Patron did not exist, Action Silver would be a $4.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2019, 05:55:45 pm »

There are threads on this forum about the difference between Ducat and Candlestick Maker which show why the opposite is true. Action Silver is most definitely better than Silver. If Patron did not exist, Action Silver would be a $4.

How so? Throne Room variants and Storyteller are too fringe-case to really say that Actions are better than Treasures because of those combos. (And even if Action Silver is between $3 and $4 worthy, that still doesn't change Vanguard being generally worse than Laboratory.)
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2019, 07:50:34 pm »
+1

How so? Throne Room variants and Storyteller are too fringe-case to really say that Actions are better than Treasures because of those combos. (And even if Action Silver is between $3 and $4 worthy, that still doesn't change Vanguard being generally worse than Laboratory.)

Are you missing the fact that Vanguard gives +$2 when you've drawn your deck and a Lab would do nothing? I know Vanguard can get messed up by mid turn reshuffles but that shouldn't happen too often if you play carefully - and if you're drawing your deck every turn that just won't really happen. It seems better than lab generally to me (not strictly better).

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2019, 09:30:11 pm »

Are you missing the fact that Vanguard gives +$2 when you've drawn your deck and a Lab would do nothing?

I didn't think about that situation, but the fact that it can't trigger a reshuffle makes that far harder to trigger. I'd say it's around the same strength as a Lab, though.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2019, 10:35:48 pm »

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

I think this is relevant because it sets the low-bar for what value Vanguard has if it were played 100% incorrectly (i.e. +1 Action and +$2 every play).

Are you missing the fact that Vanguard gives +$2 when you've drawn your deck and a Lab would do nothing? I know Vanguard can get messed up by mid turn reshuffles but that shouldn't happen too often if you play carefully - and if you're drawing your deck every turn that just won't really happen. It seems better than lab generally to me (not strictly better).

It seems we are all now in somewhat agreement that a card that can both draw and provide coin afterwards has value beyond $5, but how much value is what I hope to understand. This probably depends on the average value, which cannot be figured out without knowing what the value of Vanguard is if it is played 100% correctly every time. Something like:

"Choose one: +2 Cards and +1 Actions; or +1 Card, +1 Action and +$1; or +1 Action and +$2."

I have to assume this might be around a weak $6 cost, or maybe a very strong $5 cost. All in all, I feel good playtesting this at $5.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2019, 11:51:41 pm »
+1

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

I think this is relevant because it sets the low-bar for what value Vanguard has if it were played 100% incorrectly (i.e. +1 Action and +$2 every play).

It seems we are all now in somewhat agreement that a card that can both draw and provide coin afterwards has value beyond $5, but how much value is what I hope to understand. This probably depends on the average value, which cannot be figured out without knowing what the value of Vanguard is if it is played 100% correctly every time. Something like:

"Choose one: +2 Cards and +1 Actions; or +1 Card, +1 Action and +$1; or +1 Action and +$2."

I have to assume this might be around a weak $6 cost, or maybe a very strong $5 cost. All in all, I feel good playtesting this at $5.

The option where you get to choose between the three effects is strictly better than Lab. I think it would actually be a fairly strong $6 cost, anyway; versatility is very valuable and underrated imo.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2019, 02:11:31 am »
+1

TR variants (7), draw-to-X (5 cards), Actions that want Actions in your deck like Ghost, Golem, Herald, Vassal and Scrying are 17 Kingdom (yeah, Ghost is not but you can gain it two different ways) cards. That does not constitute a fringe case. Not to mention that sideway cards like Academy, Piazza, Innovation, Citadel also like Actions. Among the Landmarks we have 4 that like Actions (Colonnade, Obelisk, Orchard, Triumphal Arch) and one that likes Treasures (Keep).

Again, just read the threads about Candlestick Maker vs. Ducat. If your argument were true, Ducat would be better than Candlestick Maker in two respects (on-gain ability plus Treasure>Action). But in fact, a Coin yielding non-terminal Action is on average preferable to the Treasure equivalent which is why Ducat is a fine design, its on-gain bonus is compensated via being weaker on play than Candlestick Maker.

Not being able to triggle reshuffles could be a serious liability but I tend to agree with you. The card is overall similar to Minion which also does two things, drawing and providing Coins.
Even without discard for benefit you do often enough want to overdraw (e.g. because you intend to green soon and then your engine must be able to handle the extra cards) and Vanguard reduces the opportunity cost (you could have gotten payload instead of draw power into your deck instead) of overdrawing.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 24, 2019, 02:24:04 pm »
+1

Some ideas I had for the current Debt Card Weekly Design Contest, but ultimately I didn't pursue. I'm thinking about trying them with my play group so I'm hoping for some feedback/thoughts on here.

Mountain Fort: Not a lot of fancy stuff going on so it should be roughly balanced. Guarantees access to $5 cost cards, but the more debt you incur the more liable playing Mountain Forts become.

Sellsword: This one is a bit wonky and probably tedious to play. The idea is you get a very strong card for cheap, but your opponents may be able to take it for some Debt. So all of this is pretty weak for the initial player buying it, but I'd like some high level strategies to exist where a player may opt to hang on to their debt in order to make stealing their Sellswords very unattractive. Players could even cooperative with other players to hang on to their debt so they can keep them longer (ugh!). Ultimately I think this might just be a fun mess around card, but I'd like to try and get it balanced for competitive play. This is probably a long way off from that, so any suggestions are appreciated!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:19:17 pm by Kudasai »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 24, 2019, 04:18:38 pm »
+1

I think this should be 4 Debt. It feels pretty strictly better than Vanillage as it is now.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 24, 2019, 04:24:56 pm »

Vanillage

That is a great word. I am going to start using it from now on.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 24, 2019, 10:04:18 pm »
+1

I like Mountain fort. I think you should go ahead and enter it into the weekly contest. (maybe at 4 debt)

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 25, 2019, 01:47:50 am »

I like Mountain fort. I think you should go ahead and enter it into the weekly contest. (maybe at 4 debt)

Thanks! Although I've had this card for some time, I don't want to post it there as other people have posted cards with similar mechanics. Switching Coin to Debt, negative on-play effects if you have Debt, etc.

Here's a quick one I'm going to try with my play group. Just for the fun of it.

And in the probably ever changing saga of Sellsword this is what's new.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:05:11 am by Kudasai »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.