Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Creating new cards for alchemy 8 to be exact.  (Read 6263 times)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Creating new cards for alchemy 8 to be exact.
« on: May 19, 2018, 03:38:08 pm »

Since alchemy is so small and it doesn’t look like Donald will ever make another expansion with potions I thought I’d add 8 more since there’s like 8 empty inserts. Now since it’s harder to buy most of the cards in alchemy, there’s a lot of uniqueness to it. So I added some own uniqueness to it. As well as made it easier to get some of the lower potion cards. And there’s even some durations.

Here’s my favorite addition.

Secret market

+3💵 reveal the top 3 cards of the secret
Market deck. Pay any number of treasures
From your hand. To buy one of those cards
If you want. Put the rest of them on the
Bottom of the secret market deck In any order
Setup: make a secret market deck out of
Unused kingdom cards.
Cost 3⚗️ Action

This⚗️ Means potion so it will be a little harder to buy than black market. And if somehow both special markets ended up in the same game then you would have 2 deck of kingdom cards. Which should be fine cause I’ve noticed online the black market never seems to have every kingdom card in it anyway. It’s just some random from each expansion. And I have black market anyway. So it will help me from having to buy black market myself. Which is hard to find. Sometimes my friends and I just pretend the regular market it black market. I also did this because black market is my most favorite card. So why not make my own variation of it. And make it a little harder to buy so what. It will just make it so you can’t get it as often unlike black market. That’s why I added an extra💵 so that way you can always get a 3 if it’s in there.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
Re: Creating new cards for alchemy 8 to be exact.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 04:48:43 pm »

Uhm.

What else other than the cost is different from Black market..? Just 3$ instead of 2 is not enough to justify a potion cost I believe.
S

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 05:15:28 pm »

I didn’t want it to be too powerful. Would 4 be better than 3?

For the cost of 3 and a potion

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 05:17:37 pm »

The other 7 cards are:

Village idiot, panacea, magnifying glass, mortar and pestle, potter, mad scientist, and wine cellar

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 05:21:10 pm »

Or what if I left is as 3💵 but let pay treasure to buy up to 2 cards. Cause sometimes the most frustrating thing is there is more than one card you want but can’t buy more than one with black market at a time

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 05:28:36 pm »

I didn’t want it to be too powerful. Would 4 be better than 3?

For the cost of 3 and a potion

Hm. It's very much what you want the card to be. I get from your post that you really like BM and just want another card pretty much like it. Thats fine for your use of the card, but for everyone else your version is likely to not give anything new to the table. Why add Secret market at all if it just have a different cost and give an extra dollar? To be frank, it's not exciting at all. 

And another thing, potion-cost is expensive. Really expensive. Seriously, I would suggest to laborate with allowing to gaining from the market without having to pay - with some kind of nerf attached to it probably but that would be more adjust to the cost of 3P in my mind. Look at the alchemy cards, they all do craycray things but it's possible due to that potion makes the cards so much slower to get in to gear. You have to make it worthwile to do so. In my mind an extra dollar would never be enough for me to choose SM over BM if they are in the same kingdom. 
S

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 11:08:38 pm »

The potion cost may seem to be hard to get however mortar and pestle let’s you instantly gain a secret market ect. And once you get mad scientist even getting possession would be a piece of cake. I know that these cards wouldn’t be in the same game every time. But at least that does give you some options to get potion cards easier. Plus i want it to be the same as black market. Cause I can’t find black market at a reasonable price. And you can only buy it online which is stupid. They should sell all the promos at my favorite table top game place, like they do the rest of the dominion expansions. So that’s why don’t want to make it any special. And I want to make more use of potion cards. Whenever I play online and there’s like only one potion card most players just ignore it. Alchemy is about in the middle from favorite to bottom of the barrel for me. So I want to make alchemy more special for me and my friends to enjoy.

So if mortal and pestle is in the game. It’s even better than black market and just as easy to gain.

And most of my friends don’t like to play random games anyway. So I’m sure at least one of those 2 will be with secret market. Cause each choose the ones we want to play.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:10:59 pm by ClouduHieh »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 11:19:57 pm »

Mortar and pestle

Gain a copper and silver to your hand

At the start of your next turn gain an
Action costing up to 3💵 with or
Without⚗️ In its cost to your hand.
Cost 5 Action-Duration

So on your next turn after playing this you could not only gain a secret market but play it right then and there. And since there’s no potion in its cost you can skip buying a potion. However if you want golem, possession, mad scientist, and wine cellar you will still need to buy a potion for those. And at least one of those are very sought after. And expect mad scientist to be both powerful and insane.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:24:40 pm by ClouduHieh »

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 02:50:22 pm »

Mortar and pestle

Gain a copper and silver to your hand

At the start of your next turn gain an
Action costing up to 3💵 with or
Without⚗️ In its cost to your hand.
Cost 5 Action-Duration

So on your next turn after playing this you could not only gain a secret market but play it right then and there. And since there’s no potion in its cost you can skip buying a potion. However if you want golem, possession, mad scientist, and wine cellar you will still need to buy a potion for those. And at least one of those are very sought after. And expect mad scientist to be both powerful and insane.

Rules quibble:
"Costing up to $3P" covers both $3 and $3P, since $3 costs P less than $3P.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 03:04:07 pm »
+1

Check out my F.DS browser extension; then you won’t have to use random different icons for coin and potion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 08:15:44 am »

Well, all of these are fine if they are supposed to only be there for your own play group, but as you are posting them online, I'm going to assume you have some intend of making them worthwhile for everybody.

That said, you really shouldn't make an argument for an overpriced card saying "it's easy to get with card X". Yes, it may, but most players choose their kingdom at random, meaning that the only cards you can expect to be in any given kingdom are the base cards. So what Mortar and pestle does is entirely irrelevant to determine whether Secret Market is aptly priced.

Keep in mind that Potion costs more than Silver, and so everytime you have one you could have had a Silver instead,just cheaper and more flexible. This in return means that a card with a Potion in its cost is even harder to get than a card costing the same coin cost plus 2.

Therefore, your Secret Market is harder to get than a card costing 5. Making it a terminal Gold with an advantage akin to Legionaire may be fine, but as others have pointed out, it's not all that interesting.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 08:48:36 am »
+1

My first visit to the forum was with a similar idea of making an "alchemy part deux" that didn't go over very well either. Making custom cards when you're new is usually hit or miss, so don't get discouraged by the negative feedback, that's bound to happen when you don't know what you're doing quite yet. I'd suggest looking at the fan card creation guide stickied at the top of this board, and Violet CM's card image generator here: https://shemitz.net/static/dominion3/

Edit: spelling
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 04:31:44 pm »

Thanks doom shark. I have been using the card generator. I’ve made 48 differently named cards 8 of them for alchemy, 1 for guilds, and the rest for my own fan based expansion called snowline. I just seem to figure out how to put them on the forum. At least I can email them to my relative to do the rest of the work. Secret market has been tweaked. You now can buy 2 of the 3 cards if you can afford too. Also it gives you 3 treasure instead of 2 (like black market). Yes it is mostly just for my friends. I only post them to give you guys inspiration. Because even if the card may be hard to buy or too powerful maybe at least it will give the rest of you ideas for own fan based expansions. And if you like some of the cards you can add them to your own fan based expansions. And for anyone who reads this I have shown my cards to 2 almost hard core dominion players. Who are also my friends. And they loved every card they saw.

So even if some of you guys think my cards aren’t that great. I know I have good friends who support my creativity. I hope you guys do too. And thanks again doom shark for your earlier reply. Let me know if there are any cards from alchemy that I’ve come up with that I mentioned earlier that interests you. Also if your interested in snowline let me know and I’ll make a new thing for that.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:34:26 pm by ClouduHieh »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 04:34:24 pm »
+3

As a matter of fact, we critizise your cards BECAUSE we support you. One does not simply start out as a grandmaster of fan card design.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 04:39:15 pm »

Yeah I know that asper. Criticism is hard to take sometimes though. But after thinking about the criticism I usually tweak the cards to make them more interesting. Or less powerful. One card such card called blizzard didn’t let anyone buy actions while it was in play. However I changed it so now you can’t buy high costing action cards instead. So I do take your criticism to heart. I just need time to think it over.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 05:35:29 pm »
+2

Let me tell you that I'm working on a game prototype of my own right now, and I'm scared shirtless that everybody may hate my work. But unless I subject it to people who are willing to frankly tell me where I need to improve, it's going to stay subpar forever. So I feel you - critizism isn't pleasant, but it's invaluable if you want to improve.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:40:05 pm by Asper »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 12:10:33 am »

Now I have my alchemy cards in the template format. If I print them out onto paper and glue them on cards will they be the exact measurements of the real cards? If not how do I make them the exact measurements?

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 02:54:52 am »

Now I have my alchemy cards in the template format. If I print them out onto paper and glue them on cards will they be the exact measurements of the real cards? If not how do I make them the exact measurements?

What program are you using to edit/print your cards? Photoshop has resizing options for printing. I'm sure most programs will too. But is gluing them onto blank cards really going to give you a great result? Probably not. I'd wait to see if someone on here can offer a better solution. Like maybe an online print shop that does this sort of thing.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:55 am »

Secret Market should probably have Peddler vanilla bonuses if you want it to be as close to Black Market as possible.   

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 09:01:46 pm »

My relative is going to have to do it. I don’t have the means or the skills to do it. And since my relative lives far away I can only do so much. We’re only going to be able glue them onto regular cards. I don’t have any extra blank cards. And my card doesn’t work on the website that sells blank cards. So they won’t be like the real thing. But it’s going to be better than nothing. Unless someone wants to offer me a better solution that is completely free. Cause like I said I don’t have the means. And it’s not like you can go and buy a pack of real dominion blank cards like you would candy.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 09:28:34 pm »
+1

Since I sleeve my cards, making fan-made variant cards is easy.

I use extra dominion cards from duplicate expansions that I've bought used for cheap (much much cheaper than buying blanks, and with this method the cards need not be blank).

I print out the cards in color using a color laser printer on regular paper. I cut the variant card printouts with a papercutter, being sure to crop them so that they are slightly smaller than the size of an actual card.

Then I sleeve each variant printout with a regular dominion card behind it (no glue needed, as the sleeve keeps it aligned just fine and since the paper card image is cropped smaller than the card size, there is nothing hanging over the edge even if it is slightly misaligned).

Aside from a slight thickness issue (which isn't noticeable with the eye) it is indistinguishable from a regular card. The black borders around the cards make it pretty seamless.

To save time, I put 8 or 9 cards on one page (arranged in 2x4 Landscape on Letter size paper or 3x3 Portrait on Legal size paper, depending on how I edited them together) and overlap the card images slightly, so that when I cut with the papercutter, single cuts between the overlapping cards makes them all just the right smaller size.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:56:57 pm by Thanar »

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:21 pm »

For example, here's a (scaled down) image I edited together in GIMP for the first 9 cards from the Mini Set Design Contest (printed on legal sized paper):

Card images width x height in pixels: 696x1074
Page image size: 2060x3200
Coordinates for upper left corners of each card image:
(0, 0)   (681, 0)   (1362, 0)
(0, 1057)   (681, 1057)   (1362, 1057)
(0, 2114)   (681, 2114)   (1362, 2114)

This gives a Horiz 14 pixel overlap and a Vert 16 pixel overlap.

To get the cards printed out the right size in GIMP, use Print-->Image Settings and adjust preferences to
X Resolution = [width of card image in pixels]/59 = 11.8 pixels/mm 
Y Resolution = [height of card image in pixels]/91 = 11.8 pixels/mm
(since Dominion cards are 59mm wide and 91mm high)

In my example above with images 696x1074, X and Y Resolution end up being ~11.8 pixels/mm.

Another option for editing is to use the montage operation of Image Magick (command line utility):
https://www.imagemagick.org/script/montage.php

To overlap card images in a 4x2 layout with Horiz 14 pixel overlap and Vert 16 pixel overlap:

magick montage *.jpg -tile 4x2 -geometry 696x1074-14-16 montage.png

This could then be printed out in Landscape mode on Letter sized paper.
You can adjust the parameters as needed, based on the image size of your cards (provided it is consistent from card to card).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:19:41 pm by Thanar »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 03:06:14 am »

Dominion cards are Euro size, i.e. 59x92.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 04:31:10 pm »

Hey ClouduHieh,

Was thinking about your needs for a bigger and better Black Market and I came up with this. Not meant to replace what you've come up with, it was just inspired by your conversation so I wanted to share.

It allows 2 cards to be gained, you take debt now so you no longer have to miss buy opportunities, and it skips Potion cost altogether!

Hope the card printing is going well!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 06:27:43 pm »

Hey ClouduHieh,

Was thinking about your needs for a bigger and better Black Market and I came up with this. Not meant to replace what you've come up with, it was just inspired by your conversation so I wanted to share.

It allows 2 cards to be gained, you take debt now so you no longer have to miss buy opportunities, and it skips Potion cost altogether!

Hope the card printing is going well!

The gaining needs to be optional; otherwise you can be forced to take a bunch of debt for cards you wouldn’t ever want to buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.