Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50  All

Author Topic: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Game over)  (Read 120462 times)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
Re: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2018, 08:49:17 am »

End of conversation about massclaiming.

You listed six "no" votes in a game of 14 players.. that's not even a majority! :-)

I mean, I agree we absolutely definitely shouldn't massclaim, but I disagree with your presumption that you get to have the authority to close down a whole conversation that is useful in working out who has what understanding of the game. It's a habit you have overall, and it's not one I think is very alignment-indicative for you, but it is quite unhelpful for town when you end up scumreading people who get something out of a conversation you're bored of.

Plus, you end your post with a question to Eevee on the the massclaim topic anyway... so you're not even ending the conversation!

PPE: more massclaiming conversation posts! :-P
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2018, 09:06:54 am »

Awaclus, would you say the same "better to it random so scum cant influence us"  argument works for lynching? Having people do things that either help or hurt us and then keeping them accountable for their actions is the essence of the game!

Mcmc, who is scummy?

Galzria, any reads?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2018, 09:34:08 am »

Awaclus, would you say the same "better to it random so scum cant influence us"  argument works for lynching? Having people do things that either help or hurt us and then keeping them accountable for their actions is the essence of the game!

That would be true if we couldn't get better than a full random chance of figuring out who's scum.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2018, 11:56:54 am »

Mcmc, who is scummy?

Galzria, any reads?

You
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2018, 12:22:31 pm »

Caught up. Only thing that stuck out to me was this post by Space:

Presumably, the main things governing whether people want to claim are how much they like solving setups (rather that just trying to catch people out for "sounding scummy"), and how much extra information they feel their role gives them compared to what they think the average role will have.

Scum is clearly at an advantage for the latter point, because they get to know what the roles of themselves and their three buddies are, assuming they're all in a faction QT. Though 4/14 scums seems pretty strong, especially when they can essentially eat the roles of the rest of us, so I wonder whether any of them start out with nerfs. Still, with them able to eat our roles, I don't think letting on the relative strengths of our powers is a good idea even if we have a decent level of protection available to help us keep strong town roles in alive townies' hands, because I don't think faust would design a game that could be easily solved by town just by revealing stuff.

I bolded the suspicious part. I mean, this is a valid theory, but it's a possibility that wouldn't really have immediately occurred to me. I think a scum who does indeed have a nerf , or is on a team with a nerf'd scum, is likely to think of it, though!

Vote: Space
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2018, 12:29:32 pm »

Vote: Robz

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2018, 12:40:29 pm »

I mean, this is a valid theory, but it's a possibility that wouldn't really have immediately occurred to me. I think a scum who does indeed have a nerf , or is on a team with a nerf'd scum, is likely to think of it, though!

My Space Alert game (RMM42) was a 14-person 4-scum set-up. That felt like a lot of scums, but silver had suggested those number for balance after we'd talked over possible game configurations.

It's definitely a higher scum ratio than normal, so it's worth town being aware of that. LL has already tried scumreading me for having read that part of the setup ;-)

Four scums here feels like a lot, too, but I trust faust to have put an appropriate level of thought into balancing it. Almost all the useful conversation so far in-thread seem to have been about what roles might be in the game, so it's hardly surprising that I'm contemplating how it's all set up and balanced.
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2018, 12:59:39 pm »

The Awaclus vote doesn't really make sense to me. Is it because you think Awaclus is scum and cluttering the thread to distract us, or more of a emotional or policy vote? It sounds like the latter. I think scum often does these votes where they have a plausible explanation they can hide behind, even if it's not really related to alignment.
My Awaclus vote was for both reasons. I have other scumreads but I'm keeping them to myself for now.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2018, 06:20:56 pm »

Nobody likes my Space case, huh? (Harlan Band is sad.)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2018, 06:29:53 pm »

I'm off work tomorrow and Monday without any real plans, so I'll be back in the action then.

Request prod on Galz.

Some of us are at the end of Monday already, and he's barely said anything all game...

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2018, 06:31:26 pm »

I'll be happier if you make cases on scums, really :-P

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2018, 06:41:42 pm »

I don't know it's scummy for Eevee to vote me--presumably over my case--offer no explanation, and vanish, but it sure is annoying!

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2018, 06:48:22 pm »

I guess for me I don't like it because I also kinda considered that option. So it doesn't seem that scummy to me.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2018, 08:14:45 pm »

When I get to reading this maybe I will skip over every post with mass claim in it.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:20 pm »

When I get to reading this maybe I will skip over every post with mass claim in it.

But thats like half the game :P
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2018, 08:46:03 pm »

I'll keep note of it for future days, but the part you bolded is a natural progression from thinking about the power-absorbing bit of the set-up which I think is fairly NAI for Space.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2018, 10:46:27 pm »

Caught up. Only thing that stuck out to me was this post by Space:

Presumably, the main things governing whether people want to claim are how much they like solving setups (rather that just trying to catch people out for "sounding scummy"), and how much extra information they feel their role gives them compared to what they think the average role will have.

Scum is clearly at an advantage for the latter point, because they get to know what the roles of themselves and their three buddies are, assuming they're all in a faction QT. Though 4/14 scums seems pretty strong, especially when they can essentially eat the roles of the rest of us, so I wonder whether any of them start out with nerfs. Still, with them able to eat our roles, I don't think letting on the relative strengths of our powers is a good idea even if we have a decent level of protection available to help us keep strong town roles in alive townies' hands, because I don't think faust would design a game that could be easily solved by town just by revealing stuff.

I bolded the suspicious part. I mean, this is a valid theory, but it's a possibility that wouldn't really have immediately occurred to me. I think a scum who does indeed have a nerf , or is on a team with a nerf'd scum, is likely to think of it, though!

Makes sense to me!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2018, 11:34:01 pm »

As for the time, I'm glad someone brought it up because I missed it (people tend to use forum time which is also my timezone). Hopefully it won't cause issues now that everyone knows about it.

I actually think this post is super scummy. Why would you care about the timezone thing if forum time is your timezone anyway? This sounds like a fake "Go Town!" post.

Vote: IDPTG

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2018, 11:46:26 pm »

Also, @SA, how exactly do we know 31% of people are scums? Maybe here's only one scum and the setup is still balanced? Looks like a scumslip to me

Not knowing the setup is scummy.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2018, 12:03:38 am »

As for the time, I'm glad someone brought it up because I missed it (people tend to use forum time which is also my timezone). Hopefully it won't cause issues now that everyone knows about it.

I actually think this post is super scummy. Why would you care about the timezone thing if forum time is your timezone anyway? This sounds like a fake "Go Town!" post.

Vote: IDPTG

I care because deadlines are important and it's good if people aren't confused about when they are. I don't understand how my time and forum time being the same means I shouldn't care about potential confusion for other players. I'd rather have a fair game (as either alignment) where everyone knows when the deadline is than get a cheap win because a tag threw someone off and they weren't around to coordinate/defend themself/whatever.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2018, 12:41:26 am »

I'm off work tomorrow and Monday without any real plans, so I'll be back in the action then.

Request prod on Galz.

Some of us are at the end of Monday already, and he's barely said anything all game...
Prod sent.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2018, 01:50:58 am »

Holiday weekend, sorry. Been reading, if not contributing.

The nonsense about claiming was pointless and cluttered the thread while providing almost less content than I have been. Not only has my time been limited for the weekend, I simply have had no desire to participate in such drivel. It's a closed setup for all intents and purposes - scum has no basis of an idea for who to kill to a) hurt town and b) steal their powers. Why the heck would we want to tell them?

As for what little else there's been since I last posted, Robz' point on Space is the only thing that's carried merit, albeit not much.

Mcmc hasn't been pushing the way I'm used to him pushing - via words, cases, questions, interrogations etc - he's seemed to be casting his vote wherever the wind has been blowing, and doing little individual thinking and constructing of his own.

Everything else thusfar... meh.

vote: mcmc

Gotta go check our deadline to see if I can try to get votes here, or if we should be looking to consolidate.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2018, 01:53:25 am »

Looks like there's still time, so I'm content with that vote for now.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2018, 06:34:13 am »

I like that Galzria post.

@Robz
Space is the kind of analytical person who would think that. Also scum self-censors things like that, certainly doesn’t tend to tip their hand off. I could buy it if it was someone less experienced, but not when you’re talking about Space.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2018, 07:11:59 am »

FWIW I joined the game thinking that the point is that town have roles that are negative utility for scum, and then scum has to receive those whenever they kill someone.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50  All

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 20 queries.