Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50  All

Author Topic: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Game over)  (Read 120858 times)

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
Re: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2018, 06:36:24 pm »

So I am catching up now, but just because it somehow seems to be a topic - I don't really get how Mass Claim in a closed set up like this could be beneficial for us. I mean... Skum can just like make up.... whatever they want right? It's not like they are going to "claim VT" or something.

It also then makes them choosing a NK like shooting power role fish in a barrel.

I think Space is towny. Driving the game well at this point. 

I think Awaclus' theory on random claim is bad, but not necessarily skummy (mainly because I  don't see how skum in this game would ever think they have a chance at pushing a claim through).

Not really a super lot more to comment on at this point. Probably due to the holiday weekend in the states.

Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2018, 06:52:05 pm »

That's the question you still haven't answered.

What information do you think I have that makes it most beneficial for me to have a 50/50 random chance?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2018, 06:57:29 pm »

So I am catching up now, but just because it somehow seems to be a topic - I don't really get how Mass Claim in a closed set up like this could be beneficial for us. I mean... Skum can just like make up.... whatever they want right? It's not like they are going to "claim VT" or something.

No, they can't claim whatever they want. They have to claim something that will be indistinguishable from their actual role as far as town can tell, which can get quite tricky especially because their actual role can suddenly change to something unpredictable.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2018, 07:17:56 pm »

The more I think about this, the more I feel like it might be really fun. I'm in for Awaclus's plan.

I think I need you to show your working on that one. Maybe start by explaining what your understanding of Awaclus's plan is, then say why it's not a terrible idea...
An early massclaim would make for a different kind of day 1, certainly create a lot of action. Very tough to say what the odds of it helping/hurting us are, but you could easily see it just auto-losing the game for us.. so probably not such a fun idea after all.

Certainly would make more sense in some other game than this. The statistic about the number of scum is a hopeful one indeed!

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2018, 08:00:15 pm »

No, they can't claim whatever they want. They have to claim something that will be indistinguishable from their actual role as far as town can tell, which can get quite tricky especially because their actual role can suddenly change to something unpredictable.

You make it sound like a scum player can expect to wake up with a totally unexpected role at the start of the day! That's not it at all. The way I understand it, their roles only change if they perform the NK. Now, given that massclaim means that scums know exactly what all the townie roles are (except if we lie, which I don't think is something you're suggesting), they would just need to pick one of their group to wake up with a known role they can plan in advance.

I realise I'm getting perilously close to offering advice to the scumteam, but I feel we're still in pretty obvious territory here. And advice for town: until we have useful PR-derived game information that we can all share and act upon, I think going into any significant detail about our roles isn't a good idea. Of course, I have no idea what other roles are out there, so maybe some of you do have reasons to want to share.. I'm not stopping you, but I'm not going to make my own role easy or convenient for scum to take.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2018, 08:17:23 pm »

right which kind of brings me to my second point which is - to do a mass claim successfully in this set up wouldn't we need to agree to mass claim like... every day? Or at least every day that follows a NK?
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2018, 08:17:41 pm »

which, I believe is ridiculous.

right which kind of brings me to my second point which is - to do a mass claim successfully in this set up wouldn't we need to agree to mass claim like... every day? Or at least every day that follows a NK?
real good. That’s how

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2018, 09:30:07 pm »

Why the vote on Awaclus, EFHW?

Cluttering the thread.  IDPTG is equally guilty, but Awaclus knows better.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2018, 09:48:01 pm »

Hydrad seems towny. His contemplation reads genuine to me.

Also, I'm back!

Welcome back. I have a town read on you since you find me towny
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2018, 09:49:24 pm »

Awaclus seems normal. But that goes for both town and scum.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2018, 09:50:15 pm »

I don’t support a mass claim.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2018, 11:53:26 pm »

That's the question you still haven't answered.

What information do you think I have that makes it most beneficial for me to have a 50/50 random chance?

You asking what information I think you have does not tell me how I know that you're not scum.

Although enough people have stated they're against claiming that I'm pretty done with that conversation.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2018, 02:05:45 am »

Vote Count 1.2

Robz888 (2): Robz888, gkrieg13
Eevee (2): SpaceAnemone, LaLight
gkrieg13 (1): Hydrad
Awaclus (2): Jimmmmm, EFHW
mcmcsalot (1): iguanaiguana
LaLight (1): Eevee
Hydrad (2): IDontPlayThisGame, mcmcsalot

Not Voting (3): Awaclus, DatSwan, Galzria

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch. Day 1 ends May 31, 2018, 06:00:00 am
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2018, 04:36:38 am »

I am against mass claiming for now. Scum will know who to kill to get a cool role.

I lean scum on EFHW for voting for Awaclus, I don't think he's scum. And whether he's cluttering the thread or not, if he's town we shouldn't vote him. Also, @SA, how exactly do we know 31% of people are scums? Maybe here's only one scum and the setup is still balanced? Looks like a scumslip to me
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
Re: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Signups open!)
« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2018, 04:59:31 am »

Setup Info

This game has exactly 2 factions, mafia and town. The mafia consists of 4 players.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2018, 05:27:00 am »

You make it sound like a scum player can expect to wake up with a totally unexpected role at the start of the day! That's not it at all. The way I understand it, their roles only change if they perform the NK. Now, given that massclaim means that scums know exactly what all the townie roles are (except if we lie, which I don't think is something you're suggesting), they would just need to pick one of their group to wake up with a known role they can plan in advance.

That's assuming scum gets to claim last, which might not be the case, and they can't just pick one of their group because they don't have daytalk so they can't coordinate that. And I'm not suggesting that town shouldn't lie under any circumstances, people have fakeclaimed as town before and it has worked out.

No, why? If we redo the massclaim after a NK, scum will just claim the same roles again because claiming a different role would be outing yourself as scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2018, 05:27:43 am »

You asking what information I think you have does not tell me how I know that you're not scum.

It's not supposed to do that, it's supposed to demonstrate to everyone else that your argument is wrong and ridiculous.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2018, 07:15:04 am »

god why is it like every time I read the setup it lacks some info that is added later so I always don't know something about it

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2018, 07:17:29 am »

SA feels more assertive and leader-y than I remember (it's appreciated!). While someone being "different" is always cause for some alertness, this feels towny to me, because it's useful and generally high quality posting.

The Awaclus vote doesn't really make sense to me. Is it because you think Awaclus is scum and cluttering the thread to distract us, or more of a emotional or policy vote? It sounds like the latter. I think scum often does these votes where they have a plausible explanation they can hide behind, even if it's not really related to alignment.

Fwiw, I thought Awaclus was scummier before he started "cluttering the thread". I'm not any sort of authority in reading Awaclus though, you guys have played more with him than I have.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2018, 07:24:14 am »

I'm not any sort of authority in reading Awaclus though, you guys have played more with him than I have.

No one is actually.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2018, 07:26:19 am »

For Massclaim:
Awaclus
Eevee for a hot sec

Against Massclaim:
IDP
Space
Mcmc
Datswan
Gkrieg
Lalaight

End of conversation about massclaiming.

I get what you are saying awaclus where a 50/50 is better than anything potentially influenced by scum because scum has more info. But I think you are not taking into account the "more" info they have is just a few roles, we have our info and there are more town then scum so a mutually agreed upon thing is more beneficial to town then a random thing.

Also the whole proposed claim by awaclus is null because his style creates a frustratingly awful meta to read.

Eevee did you really think through the claim and think it was good or just fun?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2018, 07:37:16 am »

Just fun.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2018, 08:25:45 am »

I get what you are saying awaclus where a 50/50 is better than anything potentially influenced by scum because scum has more info. But I think you are not taking into account the "more" info they have is just a few roles, we have our info and there are more town then scum so a mutually agreed upon thing is more beneficial to town then a random thing.

Each townie has so little info that it's practically just a 50/50 anyway, and scum's influence makes it worse. A mutually agreed upon thing can't possibly be better than a random thing.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:01 am »

Each townie has so little info that it's practically just a 50/50 anyway, and scum's influence makes it worse. A mutually agreed upon thing can't possibly be better than a random thing.
But currently we've massclaimed a grand total of 0 times. Clearly at least our collective thinking is that it isn't a 50-50 shot, or we'd be doing it day 1 at least sometimes.

Worth noting: This is essentially just a discussion of the timing of our mass claim. Surely we'd do it when we reach lylo the latest. Shouldn't the eqution be the benefits of doing it now vs the benefits of doing it later?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2018, 08:46:26 am »

But currently we've massclaimed a grand total of 0 times. Clearly at least our collective thinking is that it isn't a 50-50 shot, or we'd be doing it day 1 at least sometimes.

Yeah, but that's based on playing WIFOM against the mod, which I think is a bad idea.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.