Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50  All

Author Topic: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Game over)  (Read 120711 times)

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
Re: RMM48: Cancer Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2018, 04:14:45 pm »

I would very much like to vote: Eevee

Call it gut
More survivor references!
So if town wins, does Alex survive?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2018, 04:34:54 pm »

I wonder if Alex is a boy or a girl? 

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2018, 04:36:13 pm »

Alex might not be either.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2018, 04:39:04 pm »

Very true!

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2018, 04:42:01 pm »

On that note, does anyone know why when specifying which pronouns a person uses why they say both the subjective and the objective pronoun?  Like why use he/him, or she/her, or they/them instead of just saying he, or she, or they?  This came up in Gloomhaven the other day where one of the classes is genderless and uses it as a pronoun, which in the form people usually give their pronouns in is it/it, which doesn't seem right.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2018, 04:55:13 pm »

On that note, does anyone know why when specifying which pronouns a person uses why they say both the subjective and the objective pronoun?  Like why use he/him, or she/her, or they/them instead of just saying he, or she, or they?  This came up in Gloomhaven the other day where one of the classes is genderless and uses it as a pronoun, which in the form people usually give their pronouns in is it/it, which doesn't seem right.

I don't think this is really the place for a prolonged discussion on this, but in my experience part of it is making life easier for people ("here are my pronouns" rather than "this is one of my pronouns, you know the others") when you're asking them to respect your identity and sometimes people don't use the "standard" three (i.e. he/him/theirs). For example, I use he/him/his but dislike being called Mr. (although I don't ask that people use Ms.). Also, stating the full three explicitly tells people what you would like them to use so there isn't any doubt ("oh, I used he but Alex asked me to use her, does that apply to the other pronouns as well?").

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2018, 05:09:35 pm »

wait what if we claimed VT or not VT.

Do we thing VT's even exist in this RMM game?

I don't know but either way most people will probably have a role right? So its not like scum can really pick the powerful role by us claiming. Plus that means if we do get to claiming scum can't back out of a claim by saying they are VT if they can't think of a good fakeclaim. (I know I suck at fakeclaiming).
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2018, 05:11:17 pm »

I think that was left purposely ambiguous. They could be neither.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »

I don't know but either way most people will probably have a role right? So its not like scum can really pick the powerful role by us claiming. Plus that means if we do get to claiming scum can't back out of a claim by saying they are VT if they can't think of a good fakeclaim. (I know I suck at fakeclaiming).
What would the benefit be?

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2018, 05:15:13 pm »

vote: Hydrad I don't see how claiming anything helps town.

I think that was left purposely ambiguous. They could be neither.

Definitely.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2018, 05:33:50 pm »

VT/not VT would tell scum where to direct their kills, we don’t want that. Bad plans come from town more often than not though.

Long live Alex.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2018, 05:36:59 pm »

Bad plans come from town more often than not though.

....which makes proposing bad plans great for scum.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2018, 07:53:51 pm »

I'm not that high level.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2018, 07:54:35 pm »

Although I still think its a fine plan. But I guess I didn't really expect it to go through.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:03 pm »

I have no idea what is happening in this game.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2018, 10:09:28 pm »

I have no idea what is happening in this game.

nothing really yet.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2018, 11:13:11 pm »

VT/not VT would tell scum where to direct their kills, we don’t want that. Bad plans come from town more often than not though.

Long live Alex.
I'm developing a pet peeve about "town does this" statements. I find it odd that anyone!Hydrad would suggest this.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2018, 11:19:41 pm »

I'm not that high level.

Please show me a grouping of three people in this game (not including yourself, obviously) where none of the players are at whatever level you think is sufficient for coming up with the idea to push a bad plan.

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2018, 11:21:53 pm »

Although I still think its a fine plan. But I guess I didn't really expect it to go through.

If you think it's a good plan, why wouldn't you expect people to recognize that it's a good plan and make it happen? Do you have that little faith in us? Which is odd considering you're claiming not to be, "that high level".

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2018, 11:45:02 pm »

If you think it's a good plan, why wouldn't you expect people to recognize that it's a good plan and make it happen? Do you have that little faith in us? Which is odd considering you're claiming not to be, "that high level".

Because I'm usually pro claim many times. But it almost always gets shot down. So while I am always fine with it I realize that most other people aren't willing to do it.

But I still like to ask and see if people will do it.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2018, 08:11:31 am »

Because I'm usually pro claim many times. But it almost always gets shot down. So while I am always fine with it I realize that most other people aren't willing to do it.

But I still like to ask and see if people will do it.
You still haven't said what benefits you see in the plan.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2018, 08:54:54 am »

On that note, does anyone know why when specifying which pronouns a person uses why they say both the subjective and the objective pronoun?

Not sure, though I'd guess it's to help people understand how the cases go. There are some spivak-type pronouns that differ in the possessive part, but I don't know of ones where the objective case isn't uniquely defined by the subjective.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2018, 09:03:36 am »

Presumably, the main things governing whether people want to claim are how much they like solving setups (rather that just trying to catch people out for "sounding scummy"), and how much extra information they feel their role gives them compared to what they think the average role will have.

Scum is clearly at an advantage for the latter point, because they get to know what the roles of themselves and their three buddies are, assuming they're all in a faction QT. Though 4/14 scums seems pretty strong, especially when they can essentially eat the roles of the rest of us, so I wonder whether any of them start out with nerfs. Still, with them able to eat our roles, I don't think letting on the relative strengths of our powers is a good idea even if we have a decent level of protection available to help us keep strong town roles in alive townies' hands, because I don't think faust would design a game that could be easily solved by town just by revealing stuff.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2018, 10:08:30 am »

I agree with Space. Any kind of claiming is just giving scum more direction.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2018, 10:45:23 am »

Presumably, the main things governing whether people want to claim are how much they like solving setups (rather that just trying to catch people out for "sounding scummy"), and how much extra information they feel their role gives them compared to what they think the average role will have.

Scum is clearly at an advantage for the latter point, because they get to know what the roles of themselves and their three buddies are, assuming they're all in a faction QT. Though 4/14 scums seems pretty strong, especially when they can essentially eat the roles of the rest of us, so I wonder whether any of them start out with nerfs. Still, with them able to eat our roles, I don't think letting on the relative strengths of our powers is a good idea even if we have a decent level of protection available to help us keep strong town roles in alive townies' hands, because I don't think faust would design a game that could be easily solved by town just by revealing stuff.
Good post, this is my thoughts on claiming as well.

I’m out of access for the next 36-48 hours.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.