Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

Would you give a new player 1st edition cards?

(1/7) > >>

MattLee:
I'm buying my brother Dominion for his birthday. I can buy him the 2nd edition or for about the same price I can buy him the 1st edition and give him the update pack (I have an extra one i'll never use). So the decision is kind of whether or not to give him the old cards for free. The extra variety would be nice but are they so bad that it would be better to not give them to a new player at all?

dz:
Well if you're gonna be spending irl money anyway, you might as well just buy 2E for him. He's not gonna be missing much if he can't play with 6 cards that aren't even that stellar.

Cave-o-sapien:

--- Quote from: MattLee on May 17, 2018, 12:11:31 am ---I'm buying my brother Dominion for his birthday. I can buy him the 2nd edition or for about the same price I can buy him the 1st edition and give him the update pack (I have an extra one i'll never use). So the decision is kind of whether or not to give him the old cards for free. The extra variety would be nice but are they so bad that it would be better to not give them to a new player at all?

--- End quote ---

It might be worth it for the 2nd edition rules and maybe a few of the cards, like Moneylender and Throne Room, that were changed slightly.

teamlyle:
The wording is so much clearer in 2nd edition, much more beginner friendly. Also, it might not matter if new players play with things like Woodcutter, but it might take them a while to realize that Thief sucks if they start playing with it.

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: MattLee on May 17, 2018, 12:11:31 am ---I'm buying my brother Dominion for his birthday. I can buy him the 2nd edition or for about the same price I can buy him the 1st edition and give him the update pack (I have an extra one i'll never use). So the decision is kind of whether or not to give him the old cards for free. The extra variety would be nice but are they so bad that it would be better to not give them to a new player at all?

--- End quote ---
I recommend 2E!

Note that you also get more readable cards (bigger font, better layout, better wordings), and better versions of the base cards, e.g. instead of

you get

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version