Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Mixed bag of cards

(1/5) > >>

Gazbag:
Here's a small collection of random cards I felt like sharing.

A very old idea, I don't think it has aged very well, especially after Empires in particular. An Event like Annex but not terrible seems like a better way to modify the Duchy pile now, or why not just include an extra pile and keep Duchies around? The top is still cute, although maybe it looks a little sad next to Shepherd these days.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? It seems like a simple classic thing to me, a nice solution to pulling things from the discard being so shuffle dependent. I've never tested it so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just not that interesting to play with.

So this is a more recent idea, kind of inspired by the interaction between Cursed Gold and Monastery where you "downgrade" a Copper into a Curse in exchange for playing the Cursed Gold and buying a better card. So this card downgrades something in exchange for a cheap expand. Again never played with this so wouldn't be surprised if it isn't very fun/interesting.

A Potion card, I think it's quite charming but perhaps the random nature of the cursing just isn't fun. This does skip past Curses though so they aren't quite so bad in games with this.

Urchin and Develop had a baby and it looks a little like Catapult! I'm weary that this is potentially busted if you can set up the targeted discard consistently and it's also totally untested. I would like to try this one out though if I get the chance, I like the idea of it and it's even quite thematic I think.

Big scary spider! It wraps things in web but they can get out after a shuffle or so, unless the spider finds the web wrapped prey first and eats it! (Webbing costs $3 not $0 so the spider can eat it). I've had the idea of a Spider card that webbed things spinning around for ages but never really got it to work nicely, I tried setting cards aside with tokens then realised I'd basically just made Yeti from Ice Age, using a mat and silly things like that was never satisfying. Then I realised I could just use the trash and that seemed good enough. It does mean that people can "steal" their opponent's cards with Webbing if both are playing with Spiders but that seems okay to me. What do people think?

GendoIkari:
I feel like Giant Spider is too much like Dame Sylvia. Except for the trashed by other Knights part, it's just a weaker version, as it generally will allow the player to get their card back (or get a different card back if they want).

Gazbag:

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on May 15, 2018, 09:36:31 am ---I feel like Giant Spider is too much like Dame Sylvia. Except for the trashed by other Knights part, it's just a weaker version, as it generally will allow the player to get their card back (or get a different card back if they want).

--- End quote ---

Don't forget that Webbing is a stop card, so it's kind of like a -1 card token attack too.

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: Gazbag on May 15, 2018, 09:51:54 am ---
--- Quote from: GendoIkari on May 15, 2018, 09:36:31 am ---I feel like Giant Spider is too much like Dame Sylvia. Except for the trashed by other Knights part, it's just a weaker version, as it generally will allow the player to get their card back (or get a different card back if they want).

--- End quote ---

Don't forget that Webbing is a stop card, so it's kind of like a -1 card token attack too.

--- End quote ---

True; but assuming the trashed card is something you want, it's probably better to be able to take your -1 card token to get the card back; vs never being able to get it back.

Gazbag:

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on May 15, 2018, 09:53:38 am ---
--- Quote from: Gazbag on May 15, 2018, 09:51:54 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

True; but assuming the trashed card is something you want, it's probably better to be able to take your -1 card token to get the card back; vs never being able to get it back.

--- End quote ---

But isn't "just weaker" than Dame Sylvia, it has the Webbing aspect and doesn't die if it hits another Spider. Also knights are stupid and being weaker than them is 100% not a bad thing  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version