Card idea: Errand Boy

(1/2) > >>

ConMan:
Errand Boy
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
---
Setup: Each player secretly chooses their +1 Action, +1 Buy or +$1 token to place on this pile. (When you play a card from this pile, you first get that bonus.)

Should be balanced enough at $4? Gives you what you need (as long as what you need isn't draw or trashing - the first makes the card hard to price, and the second makes it harder to describe succintly). I suppose you could also have the players choose in turn order, if that makes much of a difference?

Commodore Chuckles:
How does the "secret" part work? Does everyone hold their chosen token in their fist and then reveal them all at the same time? Eventually they'll have to actually put the tokens on the pile, right?

I like the idea of secret choices being made at the beginning that are only revealed when the game starts, but this seems like a weird and convoluted way to do it. My idea is for each player to secretly choose an Heirloom-like card to replace one of their starting Coppers and that's only revealed when they play it (or when they have to reveal their hand for Bureaucrat etc.)

ConMan:

--- Quote from: Commodore Chuckles on May 09, 2018, 08:16:40 pm ---How does the "secret" part work? Does everyone hold their chosen token in their fist and then reveal them all at the same time? Eventually they'll have to actually put the tokens on the pile, right?

I like the idea of secret choices being made at the beginning that are only revealed when the game starts, but this seems like a weird and convoluted way to do it. My idea is for each player to secretly choose an Heirloom-like card to replace one of their starting Coppers and that's only revealed when they play it (or when they have to reveal their hand for Bureaucrat etc.)

--- End quote ---
Yeah, the reveal (and putting the token on the pile) would happen after the Kingdom is set up, before everyone shuffles their starting decks and draws their first hand. (Probably after first player is determined, but maybe not.)

Holunder9:
It is probably OK but it is also better than Poacher. I'd include an opt-out, i.e. if you don't want to put your token on the pile you get someting else.

GendoIkari:
Other than being strictly better than Poacher, I don't think the decision will often be very interesting or difficult. In most Kingdoms, + is obviously the best (You get a Poacher rather than a Village or Market Square). But then in a Kingdom with no +buy at all, you are almost always going to choose +buy (unless there's just no engine possible at all). Same with a Kingdom with no villages and choosing +action.

So ultimately, this card is going to just end up being either a Poacher without the drawback, or a slightly overpriced Village in a kingdom with no other villages, or an overpriced Market Square in a kingdom with no other +buy. And it will almost always be the same for all players.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version