Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Resolve and Discard Hex  (Read 1925 times)

SSLY

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: SSLY
  • aka Seesaw
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
Resolve and Discard Hex
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:57 am »
+2

While a Hex is being received, does it keep revealed until completing resolving or has it gone to its discard pile? For example when receiving Locusts causes a Cursed Village to be gained and its when-gain requires the new Hexes deck, Locusts is pending, would it miss the shuffle? The rulebook sounds yes it is discarded after finish receiving, but I’m not sure. I’d like to get the intention.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Resolve and Discard Hex
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:32:27 am »

I agree that the rulebook isn't completely clear. "Received Boons normally go to the Boons
discard pile". The fact that "received" is past tense makes me think you're right; they go to the discard pile after you receive them.

On the other hand, playing this way requires a new place for hexes to be, other than the hex pile and the hex discard pile. There has to be some sort of "resolving / set-aside" area. For other cards, when they are revealed, they are not considered to be moved (which is why Wishing Well doesn't need to provide instructions for when your guess is wrong). If you consider the resolving hex to be simply revealed, and not moved, then you could argue that if you receive another hex before you are done; you would receive that same hex again because it is still on top of the hex deck. I'm quite sure this is not correct, which means that there must be a place for hexes to move to.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:38:31 am »

Wasn't it so that when you trash a Rat with Outpost, you draw the card below the other two revealed cards? I was pretty sure that's how it goes. It kind of implies that revealed cards are in a special place. So that would imply Locusts does indeed miss the shuffle.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 12:35:13 pm »
+2

Wasn't it so that when you trash a Rat with Outpost, you draw the card below the other two revealed cards? I was pretty sure that's how it goes. It kind of implies that revealed cards are in a special place. So that would imply Locusts does indeed miss the shuffle.

You meant Lookout, right?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:47:27 pm »

You meant Lookout, right?

Yes, thanks  :)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:10:57 pm »
+8

While a Hex is being received, does it keep revealed until completing resolving or has it gone to its discard pile? For example when receiving Locusts causes a Cursed Village to be gained and its when-gain requires the new Hexes deck, Locusts is pending, would it miss the shuffle? The rulebook sounds yes it is discarded after finish receiving, but I’m not sure. I’d like to get the intention.
It stays revealed until done; it can miss a shuffle, and you can't receive it again in the middle of receiving it.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:15:11 pm »

I agree that the rulebook isn't completely clear. "Received Boons normally go to the Boons
discard pile". The fact that "received" is past tense makes me think you're right; they go to the discard pile after you receive them.

On the other hand, playing this way requires a new place for hexes to be, other than the hex pile and the hex discard pile. There has to be some sort of "resolving / set-aside" area. For other cards, when they are revealed, they are not considered to be moved (which is why Wishing Well doesn't need to provide instructions for when your guess is wrong). If you consider the resolving hex to be simply revealed, and not moved, then you could argue that if you receive another hex before you are done; you would receive that same hex again because it is still on top of the hex deck. I'm quite sure this is not correct, which means that there must be a place for hexes to move to.

It's in the rules that Boons are taken, not just revealed. So technically you keep it in front of you, like you would a State. After you receive it, you discard it. Some Boons are kept longer, for instance the ones who tell you to keep them until your discard phase, or the ones you get via Blessed Village. So it makes sense that Hexes work the same way (except that sometimes you discard it when everybody else has received it).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:17:07 pm by Jeebus »

SSLY

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: SSLY
  • aka Seesaw
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 09:11:51 am »

It stays revealed until done; it can miss a shuffle, and you can't receive it again in the middle of receiving it.
Thanks! I found online “receive the next Hex” translated in Japanese into “discard the top Hex, then each other player receives it” in order to avoid confusion in multi-player games, but slightly inconsistent with the implementation. OK, I’ve asked majiponi to improve it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.