Dominion > Rules Questions

Sacrifice and Inheritance

(1/5) > >>

WalrusRunner:
This came up in a game online, on dominion.games. Does playing sacrifice on an estate that has been inherited give both the +2vp of the (estate/victory type) and the +2 cards, +2 actions of the (inherited action/action type), or just the +2vp of the (estate/victory type)? Online it only gave the +2vp, but both my opponent and I didn't think this was right.

Here's what makes me think that an inherited estate that is trashed by sacrifice should receive +2vp and +2 cards, +2 actions:

* Sacrifice, official FAQ: "If you trash a card with multiple types, you get all relevant bonuses; for example if you trash Crown, you get +2 Cards, +2 Actions, and +$2"
* Inheritance, official FAQ: "For the rest of the game, all of your Estates have the abilities and types of the set aside card. For example if you set aside a Port, then your Estates are Action - Victory cards, that can be played for +1 Card +2 Actions."

AJD:
Okay so the online implementation is right, for this reason:

Sacrifice says "Trash a card from your hand. If it's...", using the present tense. In other words, first you trash the card, and then you ask whether (at the present moment) it's an Action or not.

By the time you're checking whether it's an Action, the card is already in the trash. Since it's left your custody by that point, it's no longer one of "your Estates", and therefore no longer subject to the effects of your Inheritance.

crj:
Hmm. That reasoning makes sense. So...

...what happens if you Sacrifice a Fortress? Does Sacrifice Lose Track of the Fortress and give you nothing?

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: crj on May 04, 2018, 11:33:15 am ---Hmm. That reasoning makes sense. So...

...what happens if you Sacrifice a Fortress? Does Sacrifice Lose Track of the Fortress and give you nothing?

--- End quote ---

Lose track only applies when you're trying to move something and it isn't where you think it is. So no, there's nothing special about Sacrifice/Fortress; you trash the Fortress, put it into your hand and get +2 cards +2 actions.

AJD:

Note that this also means that if you Inherit Fortress and Sacrifice an Estate, you do get both bonuses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version