Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Monster Hunt  (Read 3981 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Monster Hunt
« on: April 28, 2018, 03:42:55 am »
+1

This is the follow-up to Dungeon Run in the newest expansion. It was released just a couple days ago (about a week after the expansion release).

It's good. Better than Dungeon Run, in my opinion. As with Dungeon Run, it's free. I play fairly little Hearthstone now, but I'm glad I stuck around for this content.

It fixes up some of Dungeon Run's flaws. The final bosses are actually fair. The treasures and passives seem a bit better balanced (strong ones weaker, weak ones stronger).

Instead of playing the 9 base classes, you pick from 4 special classes just for this mode: Tracker, Cannoneer, Houndmaster, Time-Tinker. The cards are collectible cards, but the hero powers are new. The design of the hero powers to me signals a new direction for Hearthstone: acceptance of higher complexity. In particular, the hero powers for Cannoneer and Time-Tinker are very challenging to use optimally. The thing I enjoy most about Hearthstone is planning out a good play in a turn, and those two classes strongly emphasize that task.

Once you finish a run with all 4 classes, a Final Challenge opens up. I enjoyed it a lot.

The difficulty level is lower than Dungeon Run. I won first attempt with a couple of the classes, and beat the Final Challenge on first attempt too. That said, I don't think it's too easy, since you need to think a lot about your plays to do well. But replayability might not be as good as Dungeon Run.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 11:35:45 am »

Yeah I was pretty excited for this mode and hearing that the final boss for the Time Tinker is her future self seemed nifty. I didn't have time to play it over the last few days but I'll be trying it today.

Dungeon run final bosses felt like they required a lot of luck to beat, in different ways depending on the boss (Azari needs you to not have your good cards milled, the eye thing wants you to discard its quest, the King has to not draw the silence+destroy your minions, etc.), So I'm hoping the Monster Hunt battles feel more consistent.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 02:46:08 pm »

I've been toying with that mode as I still enjoy the solo content more than anything else. I played Tinkerer first and beat it quite easily on first play. Re-rollable RNG just made perfect sense to me. I've since tried Tracker 5 times or so and have only made the final boss once... I'm not really feeling the hero power. It's usability has a lot of potential (Especially when boosted to cost 1 and be useable twice), but I can't seem to ever have good spells available. Either I play too many early and can't pull what I want later, or I wait for the ones I want on rotation and the bosses flood me with useless junk. I'm also really, really bad at rogue though, so... I'll get it eventually.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 03:00:23 pm »

I've been toying with that mode as I still enjoy the solo content more than anything else. I played Tinkerer first and beat it quite easily on first play. Re-rollable RNG just made perfect sense to me. I've since tried Tracker 5 times or so and have only made the final boss once... I'm not really feeling the hero power. It's usability has a lot of potential (Especially when boosted to cost 1 and be useable twice), but I can't seem to ever have good spells available. Either I play too many early and can't pull what I want later, or I wait for the ones I want on rotation and the bosses flood me with useless junk. I'm also really, really bad at rogue though, so... I'll get it eventually.

Beat it on my first try by using Jade Shuriken with the double 1 cost hero power and the treasure that lowers the cost of cards that didn't start in your deck by (1), resulting in Infinite Jades. Cheap Shot was available to clear the board every turn.

Working on my third try with the Houndmaster. Jungle Giants didn't seem to work against infinite minions from Glinda Crowskin.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 08:16:33 pm »

Beat it on my first try by using Jade Shuriken with the double 1 cost hero power and the treasure that lowers the cost of cards that didn't start in your deck by (1), resulting in Infinite Jades. Cheap Shot was available to clear the board every turn.

Working on my third try with the Houndmaster. Jungle Giants didn't seem to work against infinite minions from Glinda Crowskin.

That was e exactly my setup for my best run at Tracker, however I never drew into it on the final match.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 09:14:47 pm »

There's some nice attention to detail here in a few places. The is this boss that tries to mill you (the Lovers) that responds with "You're just like us" if you use one of the treasure spells that shuffles an upgraded copy of it into your deck.

I beat the Monster Hunter with all characters except the cannoner. Just wasn't ready for that final boss.

For the Tracker, I used the hero power to keep getting back Shadowstep that I would use on Jade Spirit. The final boss gave me the opportunity to mill the Kingsbane with Fel Reaver.

The Houndmaster, I had minions with +2 health and +2 attack on my hounds. The final 2 bosses were still very tough. Managed to get the final boss to fatigue due to her throwing down two Cult Masters on a full board.

For the Time Tinker, I got the treasure that lets me play my first spell twice and combined that with the cartographer that gives you a treasure as a discover. On two occasions I discovered the treasure that does the Thistle Tea thing but makes the drawn cards cost 0 and then drew Pyroblast with that. Also had some Spiteful Summoners.

But ugh, they made Blackseed 2.0! The Face Collector guy is a boss that has a hero power which evolves a minion by 2 mana for free, and minions that abuse that. Whyyyyyyy!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:57:58 pm by markusin »

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 10:10:21 pm »

I just had a fun boss. I won on my Turn 1. He never took a turn. Care to guess the scenario?

Mafia Record:

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 11:26:20 pm »

There's some nice attention to detail here in a few places. The is this boss that tries to mill you (the Lovers) that responds with "You're just like us" if you use one of the treasure spells that shuffles an upgraded copy of it into your deck.

I beat the Monster Hunter with all characters except the cannoner. Just wasn't ready for that final boss.

For the Tracker, I used the hero power to keep getting back Shadowstep that I would use on Jade Spirit. The final boss gave me the opportunity to mill the Kingsbane with Fellow Reaver.

The Houndmaster, I had minions with +2 health and +2 attack on my hounds. The final 2 bosses were still very tough. Managed to get the final boss to fatigue due to her throwing down two Cult Masters on a full board.

For the Time Tinker, I got the treasure that lets me play my first spell twice and combined that with the cartographer that gives you a treasure as a discover. On two occasions I discovered the treasure that does the Thistle Tea thing but makes the drawn cards cost 0 and then drew Pyroblast with that. Also had some Spiteful Summoners.

But ugh, they made Blackseed 2.0! The Face Collector guy is a boss that has a hero power which evolves a minion by 2 mana for free, and minions that abuse that. Whyyyyyyy!

Well I did finally win with all 4 characters and beat the final challenge. I really liked the final challenge. It took me several tries, but it's set up so that you can plan out a strategy in advance. For those that beat it on their first try and so may not have noticed, the treasures you are offered when switching to a specific character are always the same for that character.

I just had a fun boss. I won on my Turn 1. He never took a turn. Care to guess the scenario?

Umm, I think there is one boss on the Tracker line whose hero power gives all cards echo. Pair a cheap charger like Stonetusk Boar with Shadowstep, which in this particular battle would have echo, and you have a Turn 1 kill.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 01:41:32 am »

I haven't beat any of them yet (I'm not that good), but I almost got to the final boss on my first try with Canoneer because of the deck it was giving me. I think I had +2 health for all my minions with a rager deck, including a couple weapons that do 1 damage to all minions. I was doing really good with that, but then on either the 2nd to last or 3rd last monster my friend called, and I was playing distracted while talking on the phone and thought I could finish off the boss, but I either played something wrong or miscalculated because I could only get him down to 1, and he beat me on his next turn.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:20:26 pm »

On my fifth try with Houndmaster. The hero power seems very weak compared to the others.
Was progressing very well with double +2 health on my minions, until Face Collector took control of my entire board with a Treasure I had picked up from the Satyr.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 06:59:23 pm »

On my fifth try with Houndmaster. The hero power seems very weak compared to the others.
Was progressing very well with double +2 health on my minions, until Face Collector took control of my entire board with a Treasure I had picked up from the Satyr.

Yeah apparently Face Collector uses a copy of your deck. I didn't notice at first because I was playing with a bunch of rush cards that coincidentally fit with the hero power.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 10:22:46 pm »

For the Tracker, I used the hero power to keep getting back Shadowstep that I would use on Jade Spirit. The final boss gave me the opportunity to mill the Kingsbane with Fellow Reaver.

Well I did finally win with all 4 characters and beat the final challenge. I really liked the final challenge. It took me several tries, but it's set up so that you can plan out a strategy in advance. For those that beat it on their first try and so may not have noticed, the treasures you are offered when switching to a specific character are always the same for that character.

Umm, I think there is one boss on the Tracker line whose hero power gives all cards echo. Pair a cheap charger like Stonetusk Boar with Shadowstep, which in this particular battle would have echo, and you have a Turn 1 kill.

Close. Right boss, slightly different result. If you Hero Power as Tracker prior to any class spells being cast, you gain a 0-Cost Rock that deals 1 damage. This is often a fantastic Turn 1 play if you've reduced the Hero Power cost as it lets you set up free combos down the line. However with this particular boss, the rock gains Echo - and as it costs 0 to cast...

Mafia Record:

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 08:04:06 am »

Close. Right boss, slightly different result. If you Hero Power as Tracker prior to any class spells being cast, you gain a 0-Cost Rock that deals 1 damage. This is often a fantastic Turn 1 play if you've reduced the Hero Power cost as it lets you set up free combos down the line. However with this particular boss, the rock gains Echo - and as it costs 0 to cast...

Yeah I heard about that being possible. I only learned about Rocks from outside the game. It seems like an oversight.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 11:24:50 am »

I got the same deal with sinister strike on turn 1. I was actually disappointed and looked forward to fairly playing the boss with a later hero.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 11:26:47 am »

Beat with all but tinkerer on first try. Not having any luck with tinkerer. Cannoneer was by far my favorite. I felt tracker was way too easy to win with.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.