Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2018 FIFA World Cup  (Read 8255 times)

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
2018 FIFA World Cup
« on: April 25, 2018, 12:18:19 pm »

Other than the equivalent Euro tournament, this is the only sporting event I care about. As always I am super excited for it. Anyone else?

Through some kind of cosmic intervention I have been between jobs for each of the last three tournaments (before which I was a kid anyway) and so I have been able to watch basically the entire month-long thing each time. This year I am a new father with a job I don't plan on leaving in the next two months, so it will be trickier!

I'm also interested in outrageously ill-informed and premature forecasts, for example: Argentina to beat France in the final. You heard it proclaimed on the basis of no evidence whatsoever here first! I called the winner in 2010 (Spain) and both the winner and runner-up in 2014 (Germany over Argentina) but this time I don't have the same magnitude of gut-feel, so probably I'll do some research and make a better prediction soon.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:44:07 pm »

Doesn't seem a totally implausible prediction (I've just checked and both winning their groups means they wouldn't meet until the final).
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:52 pm »
+1

I don't follow soccer much, but I do look forward to once again cheering on the good old U.S. of A. I'm sure that a cursory Google search would tell me that they aren't favored by the "experts" to come out on top, but I'll prefer to remain hopeful.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:54:38 pm »
+4

I don't follow soccer much, but I do look forward to once again cheering on the good old U.S. of A. I'm sure that a cursory Google search would tell me that they aren't favored by the "experts" to come out on top, but I'll prefer to remain hopeful.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 12:25:04 am »
+1

USA USA US-

...oh.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 03:26:54 am »
+1

Under normal circumstances The Netherlands, Chile, Italy and USA would form a Group of Death.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 08:51:26 pm »

As a dual-citizen of the USA and Germany, I'm still mad about the USA not making it in. Especially since all we had to do to make it in in the end was to get a draw against Trinidad and Tobago. We didn't even have to beat them!   :(  :(  :(  :(
If North America gets 2026, hopefully we can pull some miraculous upset off then

On the bright side, hopefully Germany will make a deep run this year. If Germany blows someone, anyone, away in any of the knock-out rounds (like they did against Brazil 4 years ago -- that was probably the funniest sporting event I've ever seen) I won't even care if they don't win the whole thing. Germany winning the whole thing again would be great, though.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:54:21 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 06:55:08 pm »
+1

Man, Spain v Portugal was a good match. More like that, please.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 04:52:41 pm »

I feel like there's been a lot more draws and own goals this world cup than normal.

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 04:58:26 pm »

Brazil over Germany in the final.

If the tournament was based on talent alone, France would win.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 06:54:50 pm »

I feel like there's been a lot more draws and own goals this world cup than normal.
3 draws from 11 matches doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 09:46:46 am »

That's true. Most of these matches have been pretty low-scoring. IIRC only 2 of the matches played so far have had one team scoring 3 or more points. Usually by now you have at least a couple of matches where one of the teams has scored 4 or 5 or at least 3 goals.

Edit: Changed "points" to "goals"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:05:23 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 11:05:24 am »

That's true. Most of these matches have been pretty low-scoring. IIRC only 2 of the matches played so far have had one team scoring 3 or more points. Usually by now you have at least a couple of matches where one of the teams has scored 4 or 5 or at least 3 points.
(Goals, not points. It's not possible for any team so far to have scored anything other than 0, 1 or 3 points, no matter how many goals they've scored.)

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 12:12:43 pm »

That's true. Most of these matches have been pretty low-scoring. IIRC only 2 of the matches played so far have had one team scoring 3 or more points. Usually by now you have at least a couple of matches where one of the teams has scored 4 or 5 or at least 3 points.

Isn't 2 a couple?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:11 pm »

This has been the most miserable year for soccer in a long time.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 03:21:45 am »
+1

I think the worst year for football (of recent years, that is) was 2010, when Qatar won the bid for WC host.

This year, no event I remember strikes me as particularly bad for football. Video ref'ing was introduced last year, and while I am critical of it I don't think it's the end of the world. My favourite club again failed to promote, but that's expected and another story.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 10:05:51 am »

I think the worst year for football (of recent years, that is) was 2010, when Qatar won the bid for WC host.

This year, no event I remember strikes me as particularly bad for football. Video ref'ing was introduced last year, and while I am critical of it I don't think it's the end of the world. My favourite club again failed to promote, but that's expected and another story.

A mediocre team (Real Madrid) again wins the Champions League because a bunch of "good" teams like Bayern Munich fail spectacularly to get their act together. In the WC, all the good teams are playing like garbage, the only top teams that are playing well are Spain and Ronaldo. Poland (my favorite) is probably getting eliminated.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 10:12:08 am »

I don't watch WC for the quality of football. The last good WC has probably been 1970, with a decent one in 1994. As for the top teams, I think Brazil played a good game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:13:20 am by ipofanes »

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 04:22:42 pm »

Argentina is a mess right now. I would love to see Iceland/Croatia advance in that group
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 12:17:21 pm »

Well that was unexpected.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 12:50:14 pm »

Yeah. Germany just couldn't finish. They had their chances, but in the end were just flat

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 05:56:28 pm »
+1

So many unexpected results so far this world cup.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 11:21:21 am »
+2

Just glad that travesty was over quickly this year... Germans take football far too serious and make it all too much a matter of national pride. The actual players have a much healthier attitude than the public has, and I'm kind of sorry for them - but man, at least I can ride the subway again without running into drunk, noisy fans shouting "Schland" or "Weltmeister" and waving flags at me.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 05:48:41 pm »
+1

So England, having never beaten a team ranked higher than them in this world cup, just went and lost to a team ranked lower than them. Despite this, English people feel gutted and that we should have won and so on.

Frankly I'm more disappointed we didn't lose on penalties, so Croatia could keep their streak going.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 05:56:27 pm »

So England, having never beaten a team ranked higher than them in this world cup, just went and lost to a team ranked lower than them. Despite this, English people feel gutted and that we should have won and so on.

Frankly I'm more disappointed we didn't lose on penalties, so Croatia could keep their streak going.

Croatia played significantly better throughout the second half and into extra time. I just really want Croatia to beat  France now.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.