Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28  All

Author Topic: Mafia 116: The Magicians Mafia (TOWN WINS!)  (Read 78449 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 116: The Magicians Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2018, 09:59:08 pm »

hydrad + ww kindatown
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2018, 12:40:58 am »

I feel like just claiming draft order will result in the same thing?

I don't see scum lying about draft order because if they say the same number as someone else we can pick between them to lynch.

That's actually true. Let's just claim draft order.

I don't get this post. We of course will learn something. The same way like every pick your power game goes... it will come to a claim and at that point forcing a previous position claim will help verify results.

No one has any reason to lie about draft order, which is why we don't learn anything from claiming it.
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2018, 12:41:48 am »

I feel like just claiming draft order will result in the same thing?

I don't see scum lying about draft order because if they say the same number as someone else we can pick between them to lynch.

That's actually true. Let's just claim draft order.

I don't get this post. We of course will learn something. The same way like every pick your power game goes... it will come to a claim and at that point forcing a previous position claim will help verify results.

No one has any reason to lie about draft order, which is why we don't learn anything from claiming it.

***fixed***
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2018, 03:16:56 am »

@Awaclus, what's to stop scum claiming each other's slots in this plan you're promoting?

Nothing. It's still better than nothing.

Why does it matter? Lets say Skum A claims the role of Skum B,  and then we kill Skum B... we still kill Skum. In what world would a plan where the only downside is "killing the wrong skum" be a bad option? I am not saying that that is the only downside, just basing it on the quoted interaction.
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2018, 03:19:16 am »

@Awaclus, what's to stop scum claiming each other's slots in this plan you're promoting?

Why does it matter? Lets say Skum A claims the role of Skum B,  and then we kill Skum B... we still kill Skum. In what world would a plan where the only downside is "killing the wrong skum" be a bad option? I am not saying that that is the only downside, just basing it on the quoted interaction.

This was horribly written, but you all get it and I am going to bed :P
real good. That’s how

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2018, 03:43:15 am »

The problem is that the objective of the plan is not to lynch scum, it is to reduce fakelclaiming options for them.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2018, 03:46:56 am »

Fakeclaiming options are super important for scum.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2018, 03:49:55 am »

But seriously all this talk is pointless since we're almost certainly not going to do any claims. Awaclus knows this. He is not trying to convince anyone. If you read his posts, you can see that he is not even trying to present coherent arguments. Instead what has happened is that scum!Awaclus has seen this as an opportunity to ramp up his activity level without breaking his meta of not discussing reads.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2018, 03:58:22 am »

But seriously all this talk is pointless since we're almost certainly not going to do any claims.

We're certainly going to do claims.

He is not trying to convince anyone. If you read his posts, you can see that he is not even trying to present coherent arguments.

Because it's obvious that claiming draft order is good for town. We have a chance to give scum less control over the game, of course we take it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2018, 04:03:42 am »

I'm kinda with awaclus on this one. I like claiming draft order (as I think I've said a few times) and think its useful for us.

But really I just kinda wish we can pick an option and go with it to move on. but at the same time its day1 so not a lot to go on so I guess this discussion is better then nothing.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2018, 05:05:38 am »

I'm kinda with awaclus on this one. I like claiming draft order (as I think I've said a few times) and think its useful for us.

But really I just kinda wish we can pick an option and go with it to move on. but at the same time its day1 so not a lot to go on so I guess this discussion is better then nothing.

I lied. I hate sleep.

Here is something to discuss:
Assuming we went with the option of claiming draft order - How would we decide on the order to claim your draft position at this point in the game? Would it be random? Does someone have an idea in mind as of how to construct the order of events?

I am assuming not - but I will ask anyways.
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2018, 05:07:23 am »

I lied. I hate sleep.

Here is something to discuss:
Assuming we went with the option of claiming draft order - How would we decide on the order to claim your draft position at this point in the game? Would it be random? Does someone have an idea in mind as of how to construct the order of events?

I am assuming not - but I will ask anyways.

Actually lets make it direct since you seem talkative:

@ Awaclus - Hypothetical situation: Everyone agrees with you. What should the claim order be?
real good. That’s how

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2018, 05:43:05 am »

@ Awaclus - Hypothetical situation: Everyone agrees with you. What should the claim order be?

It should be the sign up order, as we don't have an IC.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2018, 06:07:32 am »

It should be the sign up order, as we don't have an IC.
That does not matter at all.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2018, 06:13:29 am »

He is not trying to convince anyone. If you read his posts, you can see that he is not even trying to present coherent arguments.

Because it's obvious that claiming draft order is good for town. We have a chance to give scum less control over the game, of course we take it.
You're actually increasing scum control if you let them know which people are good nightkills. That this is outweighed by the additional limitations on fakeclaiming is not obvious at all.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2018, 06:54:37 am »

You're actually increasing scum control if you let them know which people are good nightkills. That this is outweighed by the additional limitations on fakeclaiming is not obvious at all.

It doesn't automatically let scum know which people are good nightkills. Some of the roles are super bad NKs.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2018, 06:57:55 am »

It doesn't automatically let scum know which people are good nightkills. Some of the roles are super bad NKs.
From what I can see, there are 2 PRs that would be bad targets for scum, neither of which should be high on town's priority list.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2018, 07:07:29 am »

Considering I have already claimed, I could produce a claim order. I hereby decree it should be the sign up order!
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2018, 07:07:38 am »

I totally agree with faust on this, and it's getting tiresome that Awaclus is sidestepping addressing the major downside with his "plan".

Vote: Awaclus
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2018, 07:10:38 am »

I think it would be good to have a reminder of what recent-ish games ran on a draft scheme like this, and who played in which games.. I don't suppose anyone has already compiles such a list, have they?
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2018, 07:17:01 am »

Townread on both PPS and Robz.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2018, 07:18:30 am »

Scum most certainly does have a reason to lie, because a scummy-seeming person low down in draft order end up less likely to be a top lynch target than one who's high in the draft order and might hold a valuable PR. And if that's not exactly how people are proposing to use the claim then why else is it so powerful that we need to do it at the expense of town PRs?

Ya this is the part where awaclus's idea of also claiming what you put on the test changes that so the scum can't swap numbers

As I noted earlier, scum can very easily have swapped all their answers N0 in their QT. That's exactly how I would have played it as scum here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, especially now that there have been a number of these draft-type games run here.

I agree that the ability to use the drafting answers is strong -- I've proposed using exactly that in previous games, and spend a lot of time trying to persuade previous towns to maximise in-game info by doing just that. This is not some special new plan that Awaclus has come up with for this game: he's recycling parts of previous plans that people like me have pushed in previous drafting games, but he seems to have zero sensitivity for context and cost here.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2018, 07:18:41 am »

I'm not seeing it. Isn't outing our (likely) PRs giving scum more control?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2018, 07:28:01 am »

From what I can see, there are 2 PRs that would be bad targets for scum, neither of which should be high on town's priority list.

They could be.

I totally agree with faust on this, and it's getting tiresome that Awaclus is sidestepping addressing the major downside with his "plan".

I have addressed it. It isn't a major downside.

No, because scum doesn't know what PRs they are. After #1, they don't even know whether it's a PR or not, and it's possible scum themselves have #1, in which case we out nobody. If scum gets to fakeclaim however they choose, that's a lot more control they will have in the end game.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2018, 07:42:57 am »

They could be.

I have addressed it. It isn't a major downside.

No, because scum doesn't know what PRs they are. After #1, they don't even know whether it's a PR or not, and it's possible scum themselves have #1, in which case we out nobody. If scum gets to fakeclaim however they choose, that's a lot more control they will have in the end game.

Sure, it potentially doesn't give them a lot of definite information. But certainly the first few Townies in the draft are much more likely to have PRs than the last few.

Ultimately I think the things we definitely don't want are some people claiming and some not, or spending most of Day 1 arguing about it. So while I'm not convinced claiming Day 1 is good for Town, if enough people do we should just get it over with.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28  All

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 20 queries.