Dominion > Rules Questions

Discard Coin of the Realm called on Caravan Guard reaction

(1/4) > >>

SSLY:
Online when you play a Caravan Guard against an Attack in other player's turn and call a Coin of the Realm on the play, the CotR isn't discarded from play until the Clean-up of your next turn. Should it be discarded in the Clean-up of the opponent's turn? It doesn't replay the CG, so it has no reason to remain in play like you call it on a Duration in your turn.

GendoIkari:
Online is correct.

In the cleanup phase, you only discard your own cards (you being the player whose turn it is).

From the base game rulebook (second edition):

--- Quote ---Take all of the cards you have in play (both Actions and Treasures), and any remaining cards in your hand, and put them all into your discard pile.
--- End quote ---

The other player(s) do not do anything during your cleanup phase.

*Edit* Updating so that people don't see the wrong answer and not read the rest of the thread. The Adventures rulebook states that Reserve cards are discarded the turn that they are called.

SSLY:
But we know an example a card which was discarded from play in other player's turn. 1st edition Outpost was discarded from my play area in the left player's turn when it failed to get its extra turn. I don't think there is difference.

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: SSLY on April 12, 2018, 09:47:03 am ---But we know an example a card which was discarded from play in other player's turn. 1st edition Outpost was discarded from my play area in the left player's turn when it failed to get its extra turn. I don't think there is difference.

--- End quote ---

That is due to special rules for Duration cards.

From the (I think first edition) Seaside rules:

--- Quote ---Players do not discard Duration cards in Clean-up if they have something left to do; they stay in play
until the Clean-up of the last turn that they do something.
--- End quote ---

So Durations have special rules that cause them to be discarded outside of the rules for Clean-up phase that make you discard cards. It so happens that they still get discarded during Clean-up, but Outpost in that case is discarded due to the Duration rule telling it to be discarded, not the Clean-up rule.

SSLY:
yea I admit that it is just a special case within the aditional rule.

One reason I wonder is on a citation from FAQ of the Adventure rulebook, p. 7:

--- Quote ---It [CotR] is discarded that turn with your other cards in play.
--- End quote ---
I don't think it covers in scope such thing as the CotR is called other than my turn, but "that turn" could literally mean such way (the turn in which the CotR is called). Anyway, edge cases could have something weird that we couldn't be expecting. I hope the designer judge my guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version