Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Only attack once with Legionary  (Read 2096 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Only attack once with Legionary
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:08:37 pm »
+2

It's well-known that, after you've played Margrave once, subsequent Margraves actually benefit your opponent, since you're helping them cycle and sift toward a better three-card hand. The same is true of Legionary, to a lesser extent—once someone already has a three-card hand, making them discard one and draw one is more likely to help them than hurt them. The difference between Legionary and Margrave is that with Legionary, the attack is optional: if you play multiple Legionaries, you don't actually have to reveal the Gold multiple times. Reveal the Gold once for the attack, but don't give your opponent free cycling by revealing it again for additional Legionaries.

I won a game last night where my opponent had a much better engine than I did, and I think the reason I won it was because my opponent was revealing Golds for like three or four Legionary plays a turn. (Well, and because I built up a VP lead before their engine really kicked in.) Without the free sifting I never would have been able to maintain my lead.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:00:01 pm by AJD »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Only attack once with Legionary
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:44:27 pm »

Who buys more than one Legionary
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 03:06:35 pm »
+2

Edge case: after the first Legionary, you used Cutpurse or Bureaucrat to see their hand, and they are holding the exact 3 cards they need to kick off their engine.

Or, more simply, they bought a bunch of green last turn and haven't shuffled yet.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:26:05 pm »
+5

It was the best source of coin from an Action card, and they were running a double-Tactician engine.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:55:47 pm »
+1

It's like asking why buy more than one Witch.  If there aren't collisions, then you came out ahead.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

DeepCyan

• Steward
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 12:01:06 am »

In decks with Legionary and no good draw, it's sometimes worth running 2 or 3 legionaries to maximize the amount of turns you can keep your opponent discarding. The virtual coin can also be useful in double Tactican or Herald engines.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 12:53:02 pm »

Gold flood money decks with no draw. King’s Court games. Games where you have a bunch of extra Actions and can use the $1 saved that turn. Draw to X.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:06:08 pm »

In decks with Legionary and no good draw, it's sometimes worth running 2 or 3 legionaries to maximize the amount of turns you can keep your opponent discarding. The virtual coin can also be useful in double Tactican or Herald engines.

Indeed, the double-Tactician engine was the situation that originally gave rise to this post.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.