Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Would you trash an estate worth 2VP?  (Read 6432 times)

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Would you trash an estate worth 2VP?
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:46:01 am »
+7

Just a though experiment...

If your starting estates were worth 2VP would still chapel them? What if they were worth 2.5VP? or 3VP? Obviously it would depend on the board, but in an average game at what point would you not trash them?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Would you trash an estate worth 2VP?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:04:55 am »
+2

People still often trash their Estates in Shepherd games—even in the presence of good Victory-card sifting (i.e., Shepherd). Not always, but often.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:28:47 am »
+5

Personally, I think if the estates were provinces it would still be the best move to trash them a significant portion of the time.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:20:47 am »
+5

The best example that comes to mind is getting Duchies via Swindler. Even in the middlegame you rarely ever want them so in the opening you would want Duchies even less.
So my guess is around 4 or 5 VPs. Estates being Provinces seems like too much.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 03:44:51 am »
+1

Personally, I think if the estates were provinces it would still be the best move to trash them a significant portion of the time.
It's especially fun to do via Bishop.  You're only coming out 1 pt behind, but your deck is one card thinner.   It's like a "reverse Curse"
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:24 am »
+4

So my guess is around 4 or 5 VPs.
This is just incredibly board-dependent, therefore my guess is between 0 and 10 VP.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 08:27:46 am »
+2

Agreed, it is super board-dependent, some score margins are tighter than others.

In any case, it's worth remembering VP don't do anything until the end of the game, so not trashing them needs to weigh the points against the points they cost you by having a worse deck.

A thought experiment in the same vein would be, if you could choose to start with 2 provinces in your deck (in addition to the estates), would you?

Again, board-dependent (usually the answer is absolutely not).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 09:16:00 am »
+11

If someone Swindles your $5 into a Duchy in the early/mid game, you should probably trash the Duchy.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:49:20 am »
+1

I frequently still trash starting estates with Inheritance on the board, or when I intend to use Baron as payload later. Getting rid of a stop card early is usually that helpful.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 12:39:54 pm »
+1

But would you trash your Coppers if they were each worth 1.5 VP?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »
+7

But would you trash your Coppers if they were each worth 1.5 VP?

Such a question is surely a Fountain of interesting discussion.

But yeah, you should probably still trash them.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:41 pm »

The best example that comes to mind is getting Duchies via Swindler. Even in the middlegame you rarely ever want them so in the opening you would want Duchies even less.
So my guess is around 4 or 5 VPs. Estates being Provinces seems like too much.
Interestingly enough sucking down 3 to 4 Curses via Embargo is about when Provinces "get expensive"
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 10:44:33 pm »

You’re not trashing the Estates early just because or even mostly because they aren’t worth enough points. It’s the wrong time of the game for them to be in your deck.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:07 am »

If your starting estates were worth 2VP would still chapel them? What if they were worth 2.5VP? or 3VP? Obviously it would depend on the board, but in an average game at what point would you not trash them?

I believe that trashing is essentially the same decision as 'not buying'. In a big money game the simulations show that you shouldn't buy a duchy if you are going to draw it more than once. You shouldn't buy an estate if you have more than a 50/50 chance of drawing it. You could set up similar simulations for tunnel quite easily but it will fall into a similar range.

Those stats ignore end game competition, of course.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:59:47 am »
+1

It's especially fun to do via Bishop.  You're only coming out 1 pt behind, but your deck is one card thinner.   It's like a "reverse Curse"

If you started with Provinces instead of Estates, any TFB would become insane. Imagine playing a Salvager for $8 on turn 3. Or just remodeling into Prince or something.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 11:03:16 am »
+7

You have to use a lot of zaps for that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 11:11:09 am »
+3

I believe that trashing is essentially the same decision as 'not buying'. In a big money game the simulations show that you shouldn't buy a duchy if you are going to draw it more than once. You shouldn't buy an estate if you have more than a 50/50 chance of drawing it. You could set up similar simulations for tunnel quite easily but it will fall into a similar range.

It’s not the same as not buying, in the sense that, say a province or a duchy are usually competing against some power card during your buy phase. When trashing, they are competing against nothing. It doesn’t seem as clear cut to me.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 12:09:24 pm »
+1

It’s not the same as not buying, in the sense that, say a province or a duchy are usually competing against some power card during your buy phase. When trashing, they are competing against nothing. It doesn’t seem as clear cut to me.

Also you have to put forth effort to trash them. I bet it's often worth it to trash a Duchy that starts in your deck, but not a Province.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:28 pm »

I think it almost always would be.

Having a Province in your deck while you're trying to build will normally cost you more than 6 points.
Potentially a lot more.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 01:38:53 pm »
+1

Having a Province in your deck while you're trying to build will normally cost you more than 6 points.
Potentially a lot more.

If you can use e.g. Salvager to get $8 worth of value out of your Province(s) in order to kick-start your deck, then sure. Totally trash those Provinces. But if you're trying to claim it's smart to Chapel away Provinces on turn 3 or 4, I don't believe you.

Do you usually trash your Heirlooms in Keep games?

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 11:51:30 pm »

Potentially a lot more.

If you can use e.g. Salvager to get $8 worth of value out of your Province(s) in order to kick-start your deck, then sure. Totally trash those Provinces. But if you're trying to claim it's smart to Chapel away Provinces on turn 3 or 4, I don't believe you.

Do you usually trash your Heirlooms in Keep games?

If the heirloom is doing for my deck about what a Province would, then yes, absolutely. This is pretty board-dependent, but I promise you more often than not you can derive more than a single Province's worth of game advantage by having another slot in your deck early on.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 12:29:47 am »

Well let’s put it this way. Say we each start with three Victory cards in our deck that each cost $2 but are worth 6 VP. Are you contending that it’s usually best to trash all three of those cards?

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 05:59:54 am »

Also you have to put forth effort to trash them. I bet it's often worth it to trash a Duchy that starts in your deck, but not a Province.

Well, for what it's worth: We used to have an adventure mode where starting with three or more Provinces (while you started with three Estates) didn't seem to help the bot...

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 06:52:55 am »

Situation in which this kind of question actually occurs:

At what point would you stop swindling an opponent's Peddler into a Province, and start giving them back a Peddler (if you could?) I'd probably give people Provinces instead of Peddlers until I think they will start to green on their following turn, in which case I'd prefer to give them a Peddler (though I probably wouldn't have the choice). If it were pretty early on (buying a peddler on T3/4 isn't particularly difficult, so swindling one on T5/6 will happen from time to time) then I'd give them a Province for sure, barring some odd edgecases.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 08:51:41 am »

Well let’s put it this way. Say we each start with three Victory cards in our deck that each cost $2 but are worth 6 VP. Are you contending that it’s usually best to trash all three of those cards?

I want to say probably? I'd want to think about that, but it's pretty board dependent (isn't everything amirite).
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.