Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: "Shield", a Reserve single-attack Moat/Lighthouse variant  (Read 7708 times)

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
"Shield", a Reserve single-attack Moat/Lighthouse variant
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:29:26 am »
+1

The basic idea is this:

Shield
Action — Reserve
Cost: ?
[some on-play ability]

When another player plays an Attack card, you may call this. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Regarding the cost and on-play, I'm thinking something like

Shield
Action — Reserve
Cost:
+1 action
+2 cards
Discard 2 cards.
Put this on your Tavern mat.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may call this. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Where Lighthouse gives you The Field's Gift and Moat nets you The Sea's Gift, this gives you The Wind's Gift. They all cost , and the Boons are balanced so this is balanced, right? ;) — more seriously, Dungeoning seems like a reasonable minor bonus that isn't present on any canon attack-blocker.

The most interesting aspect of Shield that leaps out at me is that it interacts very differently against attacks that are spammed vs. attacks that are played once per turn—archetypal examples are Minion and Mountebank. It's probably fine against Mountebank and not so much against Minion, unless you pick up a large pile of shields.

In deck-drawing engines, it plays different from Lighthouse: you need two Lighthouses to block all attacks, but one Shield per attack you want to block. It also becomes weaker the more players there are: you need one Shield per attack-per-turn per player. The strength of Shield is of course that you can play it any time before the attack happens and be protected, rather than just the turn before or after the attack is played. Also, it has self-synergy: each Shield helps you cycle to your other Shields :)

The on-play effect provides some modest after-the-fact mitigation of topdecking and junking attacks, but it's probably not something you want to keep in hand after being hit by Militia, unless the sifting is key to kicking off. Against Relic, Minion and other random-smaller-hand attacks (such as... I'm drawing a blank), the sifting might be good though. That is, the on-play ability of Shield has a Watchtower-like quality in that it interacts differently with different types of attacks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:05:48 am by jonaskoelker »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: "Shield", a Reserve single-attack Moat/Lighthouse variant
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:38:47 am »
+1

The basic idea is this:

Shield
Action — Reserve
[some on-play ability]

Regarding the cost and on-play, I'm thinking something like

Shield
Action — Reserve
Cost:
+1 action
+2 cards
Discard 2 cards.

Where Lighthouse gives you The Field's Gift and Moat nets you The Sea's Gift, this gives you The Wind's Gift. They all cost , and the Boons are balanced so this is balanced, right? ;) — more seriously, Dungeoning seems like a reasonable minor bonus that isn't present on any canon attack-blocker.

The most interesting aspect of Shield that leaps out at me is that it interacts very differently against attacks that are spammed vs. attacks that are played once per turn—archetypal examples are Minion and Mountebank. It's probably fine against Mountebank and not so much against Minion, unless you pick up a large pile of shields.

In deck-drawing engines, it plays different from Lighthouse: you need two Lighthouses to block all attacks, but one Shield per attack you want to block. It also becomes weaker the more players there are: you need one Shield per attack-per-turn per player. The strength of Shield is of course that you can play it any time before the attack happens and be protected, rather than just the turn before or after the attack is played. Also, it has self-synergy: each Shield helps you cycle to your other Shields :)

The on-play effect provides some modest after-the-fact mitigation of topdecking and junking attacks, but it's probably not something you want to keep in hand after being hit by Militia, unless the sifting is key to kicking off. Against Relic, Minion and other random-smaller-hand attacks (such as... I'm drawing a blank), the sifting might be good though. That is, the on-play ability of Shield has a Watchtower-like quality in that it interacts differently with different types of attacks.
Concerning to the Boons you mentioned, Lighthouse provides an additional Coin next turn, Moat draws one card more and Shield provides an extra Action so I don't really understand these comparisons.
That said, a cantrip Reserve Moat is probably too strong (you could argue that Shield's on play is situationally weaker than a cantrip). I think there are two principal ways to fix that. Either make the Reserve Moat terminal, e.g. a terminal Silver, or creation some interaction, e.g. a split pile with the Reserve Moats on top and some Attack card underneath and the Reserve Moats have to be called and trashed to defend.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 12:51:53 pm »
+1

I like the decision that this gives to the other player. If my opponent has one of these on their tavern mat, and I have multiple attacks I could play, I can choose which one to play first, hoping that they use the shield so I can then play the better attack. Meanwhile, if your the one with a shield on your mat, and your opponent plays a weakish attack, you have to decide if you think they're going to play a stronger attack next. Good choices to make.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 01:38:18 pm »
+5

The first thing that jumps out to me about Shield is, you can't call it unless opponents play attacks.  So if the on-play effect is too strong, then opponents will be disincentivized from ever playing attacks, since they don't want to allow you to get Shield off your mat.  And if it's too weak, then it's basically useless when there aren't attacks.  I'm not sure where the happy medium is.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 01:40:46 pm »
+1

The first thing that jumps out to me about Shield is, you can't call it unless opponents play attacks.  So if the on-play effect is too strong, then opponents will be disincentivized from ever playing attacks, since they don't want to allow you to get Shield off your mat.  And if it's too weak, then it's basically useless when there aren't attacks.  I'm not sure where the happy medium is.

Good point. Maybe it needs to ability to also just call it for no benefit at the start of your turn or something.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 05:18:01 pm »

You can't call [Shield] unless opponents play attacks. [implications ... where's the sweet spot]

Maybe it needs to ability to also just call it for no benefit at the start of your turn or something.

These thoughts were going through my head as I was thinking about the on-play ability. I would prefer a Shield that only lets you take it off the mat when your opponent plays attacks, though balancing the on-play becomes really tricky.

Taking it off the mat: it could also just be discarded?

A cantrip Reserve Moat is probably too strong (you could argue that Shield's on play is situationally weaker than a cantrip). I think there are two principal ways to fix that. Either make the Reserve Moat terminal, e.g. a terminal Silver, or creation some interaction, e.g. a split pile with the Reserve Moats on top and some Attack card underneath and the Reserve Moats have to be called and trashed to defend.
Most attacks are terminal; if I make it a terminal Silver, defending against most attacks will cost the same terminal space as playing the attacks, but Shield will be cheaper than most attacks. That seems okay. Also, Duchess and Embargo are terminals Silvers for $2 with a benefit—but Mountebank is also a terminal Silver with a benefit and it costs a lot more. Eh, the other attack-blockers cost $2, pricing Terminal Silver Shield at $2 is probably a fine place to start.

Speaking of other attack-blockers, I didn't even compare Shield to Guardian. Meh, Guardian is pretty similar to Lighthouse.

[Which attack to play first, whether to block weak attacks or not] Good choices to make.
Oh that's really cool, I hadn't considered that!

[Boons?!]
Moat, Lighthouse and Guardian all provide some small benefit beyond blocking attacks. Boons are small benefits, and there are boons whose benefits are pretty close to exactly those of Moat and Lighthouse. Oh hey, this is also true of Shield. That's really all.

I said that Moat nets you +1 card. Actually you get +1 card twice (gross) and with Lighthouse you get the $1 twice and +1 action only once, so it's not exactly like getting two boons in both cases, but it's close.

[Idea: split pile]
I'm sure one could design a great Reserve moat split pile. In the case of Shield and my one other design, I've tried to make cards that would fit into a single canon expansion; split piles and Reserve cards have not (yet) appeared in the same expansion. My particular aims are really the only reason why I wouldn't do that, and now you know I have those aims :)

Anyways, let me just write up the revised idea:

Shield, Revised
Action — Reserve
Cost:
+
Put this on your tavern mat.

At the start of your turn, you may discard this from your tavern mat.

With the other unmatting mode, the phrase that comes to me is "At the start of your turn, you may call this", and it's not obvious that "if you do, nothing happens" is implicit—it sounds like someone forgot to write the "if you do" part.

I like this version of Shield too. Great inputs, guys :)

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 01:18:11 am »

I’m making my own fan based expansion it’s called snow line. Anyway I have several reserve cards in this expansion. One of them might be of some interest to this thread. It’s called fur coat.
Fur coat
+1 Action +2💵
Put this on your tavern mat
When another player plays an attack
You may call this and gain a card
Costing up to 5💵
Cost 4 Action-Reserve
Some players will think twice about playing attacks if fur coats in the game. I’m making this card
Useful against a particular card in the snow line expansion. It’s called blizzard. Blizzard is a duration attack card. When it’s in play until your next turn no one can buy action cards. And if blizzard is played by multiple players. Your going to want a fur coat. Or some other cards from the real expansions. Like lurker, hermit, and armory for instance. Blizzard only prevents actions from being bought. So it shouldn’t be overwhelmingly powerful.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:01:19 am »

[...] Fur coat [...]
Cute, I like it. If you can't get it off the mat without your opponent playing an attack, the reward to you when your opponent plays an attack includes "you can play Fur Coat" again—similarly to the first version of Shield.

Given that it doesn't interfere with the attack, it might not have the problem Shield would have—although, it does punish your opponent for playing an attack by way of rewarding you, so it might still have a (slightly different) version of the same problem.

Blizzard is a duration attack card. When it’s in play until your next turn no one can buy action cards.
If you build a deck-drawing engine and you get two Blizzards in play on alternating turns, your opponent can no longer build their engine unless there are gainers on the board. If there's also an attack which really hurts money-ish strategies—Militia and Marauder are fine—your opponent is just dead. That sounds pretty powerful to me. Like, bananas broken.

If two players build engines that do this and they get there simultaneously, it's obviously symmetric, so I guess maybe the effect of this lockdown is to amplify the benefit to getting your engine up and running first. If your opponent can't reliably deliver their Blizzard you can still continue building, although more slowly than otherwise.

See also the sticky thread.
(5) Try to avoid cards that encourage uninteresting strategies. You probably don't want to disincentivize creative or otherwise interesting play. As a trivial example, let's say you had a Duration card that prohibited other players from playing action cards while it's in play. This would cause all your opponents' Action cards to be dead cards. How would they defend against this? By not buying action cards and pursuing a money strategy instead. That, in turn, would discourage you from using your new Duration card in the first place, and the game would degenerate into a simple race for money.
Yours says buy, not play, so it's different, but... in strategic impact it might be similar enough that I would encourage extensive playtesting (said the guy from his glass house).

Hmmm, the you-can't-buy-actions thing is a Hex. That gives me an idea...

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 10:59:06 pm »

Yeah your right that it’s useless if you can’t call off the tavern mat if there’s no attack. But usually most reactions and like reactions are basically useless if there’s no attacks. Most players don’t buy reactions if there’s no attacks in the first place. And a lot of times there are cards that are almost useless to buy unless you have +2 actions. Like margrave or torturer I don’t bother buying them if there isn’t a village or something. Cause a lot of times you’ll draw actions anyway with those attacks. But there might be times where fur coat will useless. But my snow line expansion has 10 different attack cards and 7 of them are in the supply and there’s only 25 all together in the supply.dont worry there’s 2 other reactions as well. So the chances that there won’t be any attack cards are slim for a random game anyway. When I play with my friends we usually just choose anyway. I love attack cards even when I’m being attacked.

So fur coat is just there to give you a big benefit if you do get attacked and you’ll likely only have a couple in your deck or on your tavern mat in 3 or 4 player game. And if everyone is playing attacks you won’t always have fur coat on your tavern mat to save you. And if it does deter players from playing attack cards it’s to your benefit either way. And you didn’t waste your turn putting it on your tavern mat since you get +1 action and +2💵.

So that was the plan for fur coat anyway. A useful defense. Otherwise just another card you don’t bother buying. Like I’ll gotten gains if chapel is also in the game, I’ll gotten gains is useless. Since you only get 1 treasure when play it and you probably don’t want the copper unless your playing with, Coppersmith, apothecary, counting house, or with a card from my snow line expansion called copper mine. Yeah that’s right I love copper strategies too. I once played online when apothecary and chapel were in the game together. The other player was using chapel. And about halfway was wondering why I wasn’t playing with chapel. Anyways he lost by a landslide!

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 11:08:47 pm »

Oh the cool thing about blizzard here I’ll just show you.

Blizzard

Gain a card costing up to 3💵
Until your next turn no one can
Buy action cards
At the start of your next turn
Gain a card costing up to 6💵
To your hand.
Cost 5 Action-Attack-Duration

So even if fur coat is not in the
Game you can still gain a lot
Of actions. It just makes everyone buy a blizzard. So even everyone is blizzard ing each other. You can still gain actions. I made this card mostly to make one of my friends play with it. Cause he’s not into the attack cards as much as I am.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:10:07 pm by ClouduHieh »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 02:30:38 pm »
+1

Blizzard

Buy action cards
To your hand.

So even if fur coat is not in the
Game you can still gain a lot
Of actions. It just makes everyone buy a blizzard. So even everyone is blizzard ing each other. You can still gain actions. I made this card mostly to make one of my friends play with it. Cause he’s not into the attack cards as much as I am.
You might want to consider posting your ideas in a new thread instead of spreading them over several existing ones to increase readability.

About the card, while gaining a $3 can be a liability in many Kingdoms (might often be Silver self-junking) the Delusion attack is very strong and the hand-gaining of a $6 is very similar to Cobbler and Artisan. So overall far too strong.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 07:09:19 pm »

Perhaps. However there are so many Attack cards in my expansion your going to need a powerful card to keep the game going. Plus it’s for me and my friends to enjoy. So as long as we have fun. It doesn’t matter if a card is too powerful or to weak. Even the creator of dominion has had had to remove some cards because they were too weak. And if used kings court on a saboteur, in a 4 player game it became way to powerful. Especially if a few duchies were some of the cards trashed. Or a few royal carriages for that matter with saboteur. Creating your own cards is about trial and error. I have to make a few mistakes. Otherwise I’ll never learn from them. And the only reason why I’m showing you guys my cards is cause I’m bored 😐 you can criticize me you all you want. Cause my cards won’t be perfect anyway. Here’s a list of all my Attack cards. So it will slow the game down. Just not as much as nocturne does.
Yeti, wolves, blizzard, weasel, freezing forest, avalanche, churl, sell sword, outlaw, hedge knight, mad scientist, and village idiot.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 08:42:56 pm »
+1

Blizzard

Buy action cards
To your hand.

Imagine I am player 1 and you are player 2. I get a 5-2 split, you get a 3-4. I open with Blizzard and get to play it on turn 3.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you're buying an action ever in that game.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 03:17:26 am »
+1

Creating your own cards is about trial and error. I have to make a few mistakes. Otherwise I’ll never learn from them. And the only reason why I’m showing you guys my cards is cause I’m bored 😐 you can criticize me you all you want. Cause my cards won’t be perfect anyway.
Sure which is why posting your cards here is about avoiding some errors that other people spot. You don't learn much when somebody praises your cards, except that you are perhaps not totally off, whereas you do learn something from criticism.

So it will slow the game down. Just not as much as nocturne does.
You might want to explain why you think that Nocturne leads to slogs. There are not particularly many attacks (and Hex attack are less nasty than junking attacks) and Heirlooms often speed up the game.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 09:27:15 pm »

First of all you you can still gain action cards thru blizzard, fur coat, sled dogs ect. Also their is a reaction that is basically a moat like reaction that blocks blizzard as well has a strong action turn. When you play it as an action. So it’s not impossible to buy action cards. With blizzard in the game.
And I did take the criticism to heart. Assuming my relative remembers blizzard is going cost 6 instead of five so no one is going to be able to get right off the bat. Plus I have another card that is like lurker. So there’s multiple ways to get actions in this game. And there’s even swindler variation as well but better. So it’s true blizzard may cause some problems. But at least there’s other ways around. In fact it was thanks to blizzard that I came up with so many cards. And there’s another attack card that I like more than blizzard. It’s called avalanche!

Now for nocturne

So it took forever to figure out how to play with the cards. If I was to play it with my friends it would take all day to explain it too them. They still have a hard time understanding alchemy, dark ages and empires. There not ready for nocturne and probably never will be. Plus I watched Tom vases explain it and it’s the only expansion he hates he said it work take a couple of extra hours to with seasoned pros. And most of my friends see Dominion as a game to play once in awhile not even every week. Maybe once a month at most. Plus it would probably take an extra hour to set up and put away. So I’ll only play nocturne online. That’s why I’m creating snow line. Because it’s similiar to adventures and they all love adventures. Nocturne is only for die hard dominion fans. And I’m the only one in my group that is. There’s still some cards in nocturne that I don’t fully grasp yet and there’s still 2 landmarks from empires I don’t get either.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 01:47:39 am »
+1

Shield, Revised
Action — Reserve
Cost:
+
Put this on your tavern mat.

At the start of your turn, you may discard this from your tavern mat.
This looks solid now. I don't think that situations in which Shield and no Attack cards are in the Kingdom and you frequently want to play a terminal Silver will often arise (I don't think I ever had a Duchess) which is why I consider the last line to be practically unnecessary. But it is probably a better, fail-safe design like this.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 07:03:18 am »
+2

What would be tactically interesting is if you were immune to attacks while it was on the mat, but it had positive effects that made you want to call it off the mat

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 02:53:06 pm »

What would be tactically interesting is if you were immune to attacks while it was on the mat, but it had positive effects that made you want to call it off the mat
I think a permanent Lighthouse can potentially be quite strong, though it obviously varies from board to board. It can create situations where some cards (attacks) become too weak at their price point, so you're effectively playing a 10-minus-n-card kingdom.

If I were to pursue an idea like this, I think I would do something like the following:

NoMoreFun's Shield
Action — Reserve
[very mild effect, like +1 action, maybe. But Duplicate doesn't need any on-play benefit, so maybe nothing.]

When another player plays an Attack card, call this, and you are unaffected by that Attack.
At the start of your turn, you may discard this from your tavern mat. If you do, [reasonably strong effect].

The key idea is that the calling is mandatory. That way, it's not a permanent Lighthouse; with enough spamming, you can overcome a pile of shields. It also makes any attack a way of preventing [reasonably strong effect], so it might cause weaker attacks to see play.

It's probably not going to be great against Minion stacks; you're going to need more shields than they have Minions to get [reasonably strong effect], and exactly as many to not be hit by the attack. Against some engine that likes to payload a single [whatever attack], it might be fine though.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
+1

The main idea of adding some effect when you call it without being attacked is to make the card more interesting in Kingdoms without Attacks so I don't think that the call-effect has to be particularly strong. For e.g. you could (you shouldn't as it'd be boring compared to Gladiator, this is jsut a random example) simply change your version and add +1 Coin when you call it without being attacked and increase the price to $3 or $4.

I don't think that calling to defend when attacked should be mandatory; given that there already exist 2 Duration Moat variants it kind of defeats the purpose of a Reserve version. Lighthouse and Guardian are non-terminal and defend against several attacks so why nerf your terminal Reserve version that only defends against one attack (and thus decreases in strength in multiplayer games) even more via force-call?

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 04:48:12 pm »

The main idea of adding some effect when you call it without being attacked is to make the card more interesting in Kingdoms without Attacks
I think NoMoreFun's idea was to have a card with a strong while-on-mat effect and a similarly strong call-from-mat effect, forcing you to make a non-trivial choice, accepting that it becomes easier the fewer and weaker the attacks.

so I don't think that the call-effect has to be particularly strong. [For example, a bit more money might be OK but boring compared to Gladiator.]
I think it has to be approximately as strong as not calling it, on average across random kingdoms, for the choice to be non-obvious and thus interesting. If the effect is "you're immune to attacks until you call this", the on-call effect has to be correspondingly strong, and I'm not sure a delayed Gold is strong enough. Swamp Hag is strong because cursing is strong, Secret Cave is cantrip but eats three cards, Raider costs a lot more and has an attack but is not a particularly strong card.

While perma-Moat is the weaker of Champion's abilities (most of the time?), it's still pretty strong and Champion is really hard to get into play. Hm...

I don't think that calling to defend when attacked should be mandatory [...] it kind of defeats the purpose of a Reserve version. [...] why nerf your terminal Reserve version that only defends against one attack (and thus decreases in strength in multiplayer games) even more via force-call?
Because I think perma-Moat is... 'too strong' is almost right; I think it makes the game worse by removing elements from it. Forced call seems like it could be interesting to work with/around, provided the on-call effect is reasonably-strong enough. It preserved one aspect of NoMoreFun's suggestion, which is that whether you're defended against the first attack or not is not a function of your calling decisions.

I guess, though, at this point it's almost equivalent to a duration: "mild effect now // at the start of your next turn, reasonably strong effect — when someone else plays attack, discard this from play". Also, if I stack multiples, in almost any way of phrasing forced-call you end up calling all your forced-call cards.

Hmm... non-trivial :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:15:28 pm by jonaskoelker »

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 03:28:12 am »
+1

If the effect is "you're immune to attacks until you call this", the on-call effect has to be correspondingly strong, and I'm not sure a delayed Gold is strong enough.
My mistake, I did not get that you talked about a hypothetical perma-Moat.
I don't think NoMoreFun's suggestion of a permanent defense Kingdom Reserv card is good as it would just kill all attacks.
The other part of his suggestion, giving it a stronger on-call effect, is worthwhile to be pursued though.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 12:52:53 pm »

My mistake, I did not get that you talked about a hypothetical perma-Moat.
Cool, I figured there was some kind of misunderstanding going on.

I don't think NoMoreFun's suggestion of a permanent defense Kingdom Reserv card is good as it would just kill all attacks.
I agree, which is why I tried something vaguely in that direction. I don't like my result all that much, but I think it's better for the game than "while on mat, you're moated".

The other part of his suggestion, giving it a stronger on-call effect, is worthwhile to be pursued though.
One I think I might like is "[start of turn, may call, for] +1 card". Maybe +2 cards, or <+2 cards, discard a card>, or something like that, combined with no on-play benefit.

At +2 cards, an interesting comparison is to Enchantress. Enchantress gives you both two cards and a one-card counterspell, where +2-cards-Shield gives you one or the other. The Enchantress counterspell effect is chosen by your opponent, constrained by "it has to be in their starting hand"; the Shield counterspell is chosen by you, constrained by "has the 'Attack' type", and it's partial (they still get +$2 from their Militia).

Does that make Shield (costed at $3) stronger or weaker than Enchantress? Man, I dunno, weaker probably? Depends on the kingdom strength of available attacks, and the reliability you can get. With a no-trashing village/smithy engine and weak attacks, Enchantress looks way better; with Chapel, Dungeon, Port and Rabble, maybe Shield starts to look more interesting? Maybe? One of the strengths of Shield, and Reserve cards in general, is that you time when you get the benefit. In the Shield-vs-Enchantress comparison, this implies that you can choose when to bear the cost of having to spend an action getting it back on the mat where it can draw you cards.

Shield is designed such that it could fit into Adventures; the design space I'm exploring here is similar/close to that covered by Guide and Hireling. Maybe I should look for some other on-call benefit.

Hm; maybe the real reason I'm not happy is that I feel it takes the focus away from Shield being a Reserve Moat. And maybe I'm wrong about that.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:09 pm »
+1

One I think I might like is "[start of turn, may call, for] +1 card". Maybe +2 cards, or <+2 cards, discard a card>, or something like that, combined with no on-play benefit.
Without any on-play benefit it should be at least 2 cards. I don't think that there is anything wrong though with +2 Coins, +1 Card when called. Without any on-play benefit it becomes an expensive defense in attack-intensive and you mentioned that you want to keep the focus on this card being mainly a Reserve Moat.

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 02:39:04 pm »
+1

How about making it an Action - Reserve - Duration with an optional call? That would mostly solve the multiplayer scaling issues.
Something like this (wording isn't perfect):

Shield, Duration-style
Action — Duration — Reserve
Cost:
+1 Action
+1 Card

At the start of your turn you may discard this from your Tavern mat. If you do, +2 Cards then discard 2 cards.
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first call this to be, until your next turn, unaffected when other players play Attack cards.

Discarding it from the Tavern mat solves the tracking issue - if it's in front of you, its protecting you from attacks. This also speeds it up slightly when used for filtering.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 02:58:05 pm »
+1

As worded this is a Reserve, not a Duratio (you probably have in mind that this becomes a Duration after being called, laying in your play area like a Duration card, but technically it is not).
The play effect is too strong, cheap cantrip are easy spammable and thus kill all Attacks (even a mere non-terminal like Lighthouse can kill off Attacks).
The call-effect is far too strong, making it a delayed Forum (and, ignorign the defense aspect, arguably better than Dungeon).
The call-to-defense thing makes the defense part of this strictly better than Lighthouse or Guardian.

I thought that the idea of a Reserve defense was to have a trade-off between the flexibility of only defending when needed  and then only being able to defend once.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.