Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Chase Adolphson's intro  (Read 2913 times)

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Chase Adolphson's intro
« on: April 03, 2018, 04:28:58 am »
+5

Hi guys. I never introduced myself so I'm doing it now. Ever since I played my first game of dominion I got really obsessed with it. So far you guys have helped me learn a lot of new strategies and I will probably learn a lot more from you. Thanks! My family and friends don't play dominion that often, so I'm glad to be talking with people that play dominion about 24/7 like I do. Some of my friends even say dominion sucks! CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think games with just the base set are fun because its dominion but its kind of boring at the same time because you miss out on a lot of concepts. I love games with expansions though. Do most people agree with me? I'm just kind of curious. As you have probably noticed I argue a lot and don't give up very easily.
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Adolphson's intro
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:41:59 pm »

After playing with the base a lot, it got boring.  Now I don't even enjoy playing just base games, although second edition made it better (I<3 Artisan)  With the expansions, Dominion is just on a different level than any other game I've played, and I play lots of games.  It takes people a while to see why it is so great.  Often they never see it.  Just keep trying.  They'll hopefully convert to the truth eventually

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:06:35 am »
+1

Hi guys. I never introduced myself so I'm doing it now. Ever since I played my first game of dominion I got really obsessed with it. So far you guys have helped me learn a lot of new strategies and I will probably learn a lot more from you. Thanks! My family and friends don't play dominion that often, so I'm glad to be talking with people that play dominion about 24/7 like I do. Some of my friends even say dominion sucks! CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think games with just the base set are fun because its dominion but its kind of boring at the same time because you miss out on a lot of concepts. I love games with expansions though. Do most people agree with me? I'm just kind of curious. As you have probably noticed I argue a lot and don't give up very easily.

Welcome to the boards!

I think I've encountered two people that didn't like Dominion among the more than 100 I've taught it to. And a couple more that just hasn't played with enough variety (only Base or only Intrigue; both 1st ed.).

Just keep on promoting it! Hopefully you can help enrich a lot of people's lives! I've introduced Dominion at work, and we're at nine current players (and three more that has quit their jobs), playing every lunch break with Dominion, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Adventures and three promos. Guilds & Cornucopia is soon to be added (just waiting for the updated version). This is fun!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:07:41 am by Oyvind »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:49:08 am »
+5

... at work, and we're at nine current players (and three more that has quit their jobs)

That's what I call dedication.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 03:12:47 pm »

I've introduced Dominion at work, and we're at nine current players (and three more that has quit their jobs), playing every lunch break with Dominion, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Adventures and three promos. Guilds & Cornucopia is soon to be added (just waiting for the updated version). This is fun!  ;D

Oh man, even I only play Dominion during lunch at work once per week, though usually we can get two games in.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:13:53 pm »
+4

As you have probably noticed I argue a lot and don't give up very easily.

My advice is to give up when you're wrong, and stick to your guns when you're right. Easy!

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:37:08 pm »

I think I've encountered two people that didn't like Dominion among the more than 100 I've taught it to.
Gosh! On a regular games evening, if I suggest Dominion, only about a third of people will be interested. Some people will just have some other specific thing in mind to play that evening, but even so about half the people present outright don't like Dominion, or have got bored of it. )-8

(Then again, that's a fairly diverse group. Some of them decline Dominion in order to play Articulate; others decline Dominion in order to play Gaia Project!)

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 07:52:08 am »

I think I've encountered two people that didn't like Dominion among the more than 100 I've taught it to.
Gosh! On a regular games evening, if I suggest Dominion, only about a third of people will be interested. Some people will just have some other specific thing in mind to play that evening, but even so about half the people present outright don't like Dominion, or have got bored of it. )-8

(Then again, that's a fairly diverse group. Some of them decline Dominion in order to play Articulate; others decline Dominion in order to play Gaia Project!)

Don't get me wrong. I've encountered some people who doesn't like Dominion (I said "a couple", but the true number is probably around 5-10), but they haven't had the patience to try a lot of different expansions. Unfortunately these people generally don't even want to try it again with more interesting kingdoms. I talked about the people I've taught it to only, when I stated two people didn't like it.

I did a casual count, and I believe I've taught it to between 110 and 130 people. The two who didn't like it thought it was too difficult (a non-gamer) or too repetitive (he's a hard-core gamer and a brother of mine). The people I've taught the game to are everything from non-gamers to real gamers. Age span 4-75. At game nights, where I've suggested Dominion, this has sometimes been downvoted by people who still proclaim that Dominion is their favorite game. Variance is the key here, but that doesn't mean they don't like Dominion. I can probably play it all day long, but I can understand the need to get away from it occassionally, as I don't think we here are representative of the whole gaming community (unfortunately). In fact, it's my observation that for most people, their enjoyment of Dominion rises when they only play it occassionally, so I don't mind too much.

I like to play a lot of different games myself, having played the majority of my 70-or-so games at least once since the summer of 2016, but I've played more than 600 live games of Dominion during the same timeframe. #2? D&D 5th ed. with about 20-30 sessions.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:04:30 am by Oyvind »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.