Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion tournament in Chicago, Mar 3 2012  (Read 4483 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Dominion tournament in Chicago, Mar 3 2012
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:51 am »

Not that I can go, but perhaps someone from here can?  (Off the top of my head, I think Forge!!! is from the area?)

http://www.facebook.com/events/238607466227852/

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion tournament in Chicago, Mar 3 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:12:56 pm »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1845.0

cough, cough cough cough

(if you take 2 seconds you can figure out some other person far more skilled than I am who is also going)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:16:01 am »

Sounds tempting, but just getting there is a huge time commitment for me, and final exams are coming up in 2 weeks...

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:36:20 am »

I'll be attending. I registered on Wednesday and was told I was the 16th player and filled the available slots. They probably have a waiting list if anyone wants to hop on it.

See some of you there, I guess!

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:05:24 am »
+1

Write-up of this event: (Warning: there will be a lot of complaining. I am a rather sore loser)

The tournament was set up with 16 people, there were 3 rounds and 4 tables of 4 people each. Each table played the same cards, and whoever got the most combined points for the three rounds (1st was 4, 2nd was 2, 3rd was 1) got to go to the final table. The guy who ran the tournament said he was attempting to create interesting boards with different potential strategies, but I'm not entirely sure how well he succeeded. Oh well. 

Game 1: Counting House, Coppersmith, Venture, Hoard, Loan, Mint, Forge, Quarry, Royal Seal, Vault, Colony, Platinum

A very big money game with no +actions or +buys. I figured a strategy with Ventures and maybe hoards and just basically money would be good, and of course in a game like this Mints are going to be good, so if it popped up I would get one. This did not go according to plan. I opened silver silver, then promptly managed to get either 3, 4, or 6 with 2 silvers every turn until probably at least turn 8 or 9. In the meantime, First (who is level 40 on isotropic, yes, I know who you are, apologies for creepiness) was able to get a mint early on, and then the first platinum rather quick through ventures, then minted platinum and venture a couple times, and pretty much dominated everyone else. I got 7 once and figured hell, why not, let's get a Forge. It is my name, after all. This kind of saved me as it got me both my colonies and I eeked out second place, 68 to 37 to 36 to 35. The other two people didn't play terrible poorly, but they both bought coppersmiths and fooled around a bit more on a board that doesn't allow for too much foolin'. I don't think I played this board incorrectly at all, I just didn't get the numbers I needed to make it work.

Game 2: Upgrade, Remodel, Village, Feast, Expand, Remake, Moneylender, Salvager, Mine, Workshop

An impressively trashy board. I decided (as I did every game, possibly incorrectly) to play a very simple strategy, and opened remake/silver. I then basically just remaked things into silvers and coppers into nothing and bought a couple upgrades. I upgraded my remake into a mine once all my estates were gone and went for money. One other player went for a similar strategy, while the other two fooled around with mines and villages (an awful lot of villages) and remodels and upgrades and everything. I had quite a solid lead, but wasn't able to get anything good on my last turn and then the player who had been fooling around with villages managed to get a province, duchy, and estate in the last turn to run out the provinces and ended up winning by one point. 28 - 27, or something to that effect. I was pretty upset that I lost this game, but maybe I should have taken the remodeling and whatnot more seriously. I dunno.

Game 3: Bishop, Monument, Kings Court, Throne Room, Masquerade, Ambassador, Jester, Chancellor, Harem, one other card without +action or buy and wasn't interesting/useful

A hell of a board, and I wasn't entirely sure what to do. I hate ambassadors, and I guessed correctly that no one else would use them, so I just ignored them entirely. Being the silly person that I am I decided to ignore Bishop, which I later realized was a terrible idea, but no one else at my table got them either, so eh. I opened Masquerade/silver, thinking again that I should take things simply, which was a mistake. Complaining about luck: 3/4 first times I played masquerade I didn't have any estates in my hand at all, only money, and didn't even draw any. Jester was played against me 3 times in the game, and all 3 times i discarded an estate card, gaining the only 3 curses of the game. That being said, if I had gone bishop, I still probably would have won. Instead I went mainly masquerade, picked up a monument eventually, and added one King's court and a couple jesters as well. My main opponent, who beat me, went heavy with monuments and throne rooms/kcs and ended up with 25 or so tokens, as well as a few provinces/harems. I was up for the first half of the game, but eventually it just dragged on and I couldn't keep up with KCs/TRs and monuments hitting each other consistently. I didn't win, and because of this wasn't able to get to the final table. Other fun strategies other people did apparently included getting 40+ tokens with Bishop, and Jestering the shit out of everyone.

Overall though, it was a lot of fun, and it was nice to see other people playing Dominion and talking about strategy and whatnot and not just my normal group of friends or names behind a computer. Hopefully they do another one soon!

Also, congrats to First for winning.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:05:27 am »

Gonna chime in here; I feel like Remake is really only very useful for building strong engines, and I think it wasn't a good choice in game 2. I'd personally open Moneylender/Silver on 4/3 and pick up the most expensive thing I can get with Salvager at $4, Upgrade at $5, and Gold at $6, or Upgrade/nothing on 5/2 and follow the same buying rules. I tried this solitaire and could pretty consistently get 4 Provinces in 14-15 turns.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 11:37:17 am »

Thanks for doing the writeup, Forge. I wasn't actually able to make the tournament and wasn't one of the players there. I had a real-life event come up the day before that unfortunately had to trump the tournament. I hope to make the next one, the place said they were hoping to make these semi-regular events, no?

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »

The last one was a while ago, but I dunno, hopefully it'll be semi-regularly. This one was really successful, with all 16 slots filled and quite good competition and everything, so I would imagine they would be encouraged to do more.

And thanks for not going, my girlfriend's brother was first on the waiting list and he got to go instead  :P

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:32:09 pm »

Congrats First!! that sucks they can only have 16 players, I wonder if space is an issue or they dont have enough game sets for more players

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:04:11 pm »

The last one was a while ago, but I dunno, hopefully it'll be semi-regularly. This one was really successful, with all 16 slots filled and quite good competition and everything, so I would imagine they would be encouraged to do more.

And thanks for not going, my girlfriend's brother was first on the waiting list and he got to go instead  :P
Happy to help, in all honesty! I felt terrible dropping out at the last minute and hoped someone on the waiting list would get to play.

first

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 01:10:46 pm »
+1

I haven't visited this forum for a while after Isotropic tournament ... well I think I should fill in the missing part here.

Game 1 : (Treasure theme) Yes, I was extremely lucky to draw $6 turn 3 and $5 turn 4 (or the other way around) and bought Mint and Venture, which is the best opening you could wish for in this kingdom set. After that I played in auto mode: Mint Plat or Venture, buy only Colony/Plat/Gold/Venture, gg.

Game 2 : (Trash 'em all theme) Too many trashers I would say. My draws were very interesting (?): I opened 5/2 Upgrade/nothing, then my Upgrade missed Estates for a few rounds. At one point, I drew three Upgrades and turn all Estate into Silver in one single turn. Eventually, my deck only consisted of one Upgrade, Golds, Silvers and victory cards.

Game 3 : (Monarch theme) Not familiar with multiplayer game, I opened Ambassador which I regretted later since everyone else either got Masquerade or Bishop, leading to a quick game. Since I knew I was screwed, I just fooled around and tried KC/Jesters, and I once pulled off TR/KC/Jester/Jester. I ended up in second place, but that was fun !

Game 4 : (Trading theme) Caravan, Jack of All Trades, Trade Route, Trader, Haggler, Trading Post, Nomad Camp, + three other non-cantrip cards with no +buy

Thanks to dominionstrategy.com ! Since engine-building is impossible here, Jack of All Trades is dominating. Unfortunately, other players were not aware of this fact. (there was one guy standing aside saying something about how unbalanced JoAT is, was that you, Forge!!! ?) And how bad did it go ? I grabbed half of the Province pile (6/12) ...

All in all, my first IRL tournament was a great experience. Big thanks to Cat&Mouse Game Store for organizing this !
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.