Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Coaching Series: A tip for getting better  (Read 2526 times)

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Dominion Coaching Series: A tip for getting better
« on: March 29, 2018, 09:26:35 am »
+11

Let's talk about another game I play quite a bit, Overwatch.
If you're not familiar, it's a competitive FPS game, so there's a lot of strategic and mechanical execution involved in whatever it is you're trying to do.

Naturally, one of the best ways to get better at that game is to record your plays and watch them back. I do that sometimes, and I make so many more mistakes than I realize in the thick of it.

I use Nvidia Shadowplay for that and it's a cinch to set up and use (if you don't have an Nvidia graphics card, there are plenty of other easy pieces of recording software out there).
I decided to record some of my games to put up on youtube. The idea being that people seem to want to see more play-by-play in high-level Dominion.

Dominion is different from Overwatch, right? There's no mechanical performance or reaction time required of you (unless you're revealing Moat to Minion 8 times a turn) so we figure there's no need to remove yourself from a hectic context. We remember the game, right? We know what we did right, what we did wrong, why we lost, why that shuffle went badly, etc.
WRONG

Just like my Overwatch vids, watching my Dominion games, I make so many more mistakes than I realize. You kind of assume that someone who publishes footage of themselves playing something is pretty good at it, right? That's why they're publishing their footage, but I think it works the other way around. I think analyzing your play in third person forces you to be a little more self-evaluating, which eventually leads to a more analytical approach to the game.

So, here's my challenge to you: record a game. You don't have to talk during it if you don't want to. Just record yourself and watch it back. There's plenty of easy ways  and a quick google search will give you several options for it on your machine.

Watching it back, you'll have more time and hindsight for things like shuffle tracking, tracking your opponent's deck, optimizing mid-turn play, endgame evaluation, you know those nebulous concepts that win games of Dominion and inspire 3000 word articles? Read the articles, sure. But I think watching your games back is the best way to apply them to a real game.

In fact, let's take this a step further. Send me your gameplay (preferably upload it to youtube and send me the link, but if you want to get it to me some other way that's fine).

If you don't want them to go public, let us know and we won't make a video about it. And if you don't want to share them at all, at least watch them back for your own benefit.

I just started uploading games (you can check out my videos in the link below but I'd like to do some play analysis videos.
Adam Horton will do these with me as well when he's not too tied up with the Making Luck podcast we do, so let's get better at Dominion. All of us, as a community.

Email: jakeschwartz38@gmail.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jake.schwartz.3139
Youtube:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:04:11 am by Screwyioux »

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
Re: Tip for getting better
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:54:20 am »
+2

Awesome, I'll definitely be sending you some games  ;)
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
Re: Tip for getting better
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 02:01:04 pm »
+1

I used to play world of tanks, and I'd record replays of my best games to put onto youtube, and wow, they are just cringy to to watch. 
definitely learned a lot watching them.

Also, love for the Houston Outlaws, and good luck to them on stage 3 of the overwatch league.

Also also, recording your games is VERY easy.  there is free software that makes it very easy to record games (though usually there will be a watermark on the free software, until such a time as you pay for it).  Note that some free software, such as bandicamp, limits free video length, I believe to 10 min, which is plenty for world of tanks, but may not be quite long enough for dominion matches.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:07:13 pm by weesh »

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Coaching Series: A tip for getting better
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:07:12 am »
+3

Hey guys, just a reminder we're doing this and it's off the ground!

We have one episode uploaded of me reviewing a game, and Adam actually reviewed one of my games (links below)!

We also have two more episodes to publish some time this week, so make sure you submit your plays to us so we can keep getting better and have some fun commentating games of Dominion!

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.