Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Antidote  (Read 2779 times)

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
Antidote
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:17:54 am »
+4

Antidote
$5
Night Duration

At the start of your next turn, choose two from +1 Card, +1 Action, + 1 Buy or +1 Coin.
----
This is gained to your hand

Other version:

Antidote
$5
Night Duration

At the start of your next turn, choose two from +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy or +1 Coin. Until the end of your turn, whenever you play a card and would take the first + choice, you may take the second + choice instead.
----
This is gained to your hand

(for example you could change a Smithy into a lab (+card into +action) or a village into a lab (+action to +card))

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Antidote
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:41:39 am »
+1

Version 2 sounds too annoying for tracking issues, as well as AP issues. I like version 1 though. Comments on version 1:

As worded, you should be able to choose the same thing twice, based on the fact that Pawn specifically says "the choices must be different", and this doesn't. If that's what you intended, then this is a strictly better Den of Sin.

If you didn't intend that, then this is an upgraded Pawn. Is it really a big enough difference to go from to ? It has pros and cons vs Pawn:

Worse than Pawn:
- Being a Duration, meaning you need twice as many if you're drawing your deck.
- Can only get the bonus at the start of your turn, meaning less info on what choices you want/need.

Stronger than Pawn:
- Can't be drawn dead.
- Get an extra +Action on top of Pawn.
- Gained to hand; although since it's a Duration, that doesn't mean you get it a turn sooner.. more like if Pawn were gained to the top of your deck.

Anyway, it might be balanced at , but I could be completely wrong.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:24:57 pm »

Thanks for comments GendoIkari.

Yea I meant different choices for version 1. I also had it on $4 originally but couldn't decide how much better the choosing options based on next hand were compared to Ghost Town's card and action.

Version 2 I was thinking about Temporum's Hacker for Dominion actions.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 01:58:44 pm »
+1

The first version looks weak. It is either Ghost Town or the Ghost Town / Village equivalent of Peddler or Market Square (assuming that you will mostly pick the draw as one of the options).
The flexibility is neat but it is too weak at $5.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:42:50 pm »
+1

The first version looks weak. It is either Ghost Town or the Ghost Town / Village equivalent of Peddler or Market Square (assuming that you will mostly pick the draw as one of the options).

I agree that it seems a bit weak, but it also seems quite strong at $4.  Maybe it can be $4 without the gain to hand.  Or if you want it to stay at $5 you could add an on-buy bonus, like Forum's +buy or something.

Another idea to buff it a little bit is to make one of the options +$2 instead of $1. I don't think that would be too crazy.

Edit: Being called antidote, it could be cool if it was able to trash something.  You could possible have trash one card as an option? That way it is definitely $5 caliber
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:44:51 pm by Chappy7 »

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:51:33 pm »

I agree that it seems a bit weak, but it also seems quite strong at $4.
I agree. As Ghost Town costs as much as Village and as this is more flexible than a Ghost Peddler (or do we have to say Ghost Poacher now?) it is reasonable to assume that the card is too good for $4. So we have the typical "balanced between $4 and $5" card design problem.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:19:50 pm »

Version 2 I was thinking about Temporum's Hacker for Dominion actions.

Hacker is one of my favorite cards. Quite strong too, I tried to talk Donald into having it give less money on-play; I didn't succeed.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 03:47:52 pm »
+1

Maybe to be thematic add clause
when you gain this you may trash any number of cards that are not treasure from your hand.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 05:52:21 pm »

Maybe to be thematic add clause
when you gain this you may trash any number of cards that are not treasure from your hand.

I think this would be fine even including treasures since you'd have to reach $5 without using your Coppers.  Early game that's tough to do. Mid/late game, it won't have as profound of an effect.  Although I'd cap it off at 1 or 2 cards from your hand so it doesn't totally get too crazy.

"When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand." Just an added mini-Bonfire.  This way it actively helps your deck when you buy it rather than adding an extra dead card to your deck (dead on the turn you play it, after the first play of course)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 07:07:58 pm »
+1

This concept is older than you may expect it to be:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=magical%20hack

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 12:30:12 pm »

Antidote 1 (Duration Ghost Pawn)
In engines you'll probably almost always want card and action, so this is just an expensive Ghost Town. It can be your +buy if nothing else is around. Seems pretty damn pricey to me at $5.

Antidote 2
[...] Until the end of your turn, whenever you play a card and would take the first + choice, you may take the second + choice instead.
This will turn Squire into Peddler, Forager into approximately Junk Dealer, Embassy into a Grand Forum, Festival into Grand Market and both Margrave and Lost City into a non-terminal +3 cards (not to mention Council Room)?! Non-terminal Wharf?

Holy crap this is B A N A N A S. Would buy, 10/10, such strong, very win. This is Teacher with 90% of the power and 10% of the cost. Find the most B A N A N A S exchange on the board, build your deck around it and pile the key card forever.

Question: can it only convert once per card, or can it also turn Smithy into Village, Cellar into (approximately) Vault, Courtyard into Mandarin? Can it make Goons a village (money to actions)?

If yes: H O L Y  B A N A N A S :o

Quite strong.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.