Miscellaneous > Other Games

Terraforming Mars

(1/10) > >>

Kuildeous:
Since I introduced my wife to Terraforming Mars, she's been obsessed with defeating me. We've played four 2-player games so far. She enjoys the game, but she gets frustrated that she hasn't been able to build as good of an engine as mine. Part of it is shuffle luck, which TM is notorious for, but I also have a little more experience than her and can pull off some dick moves (the latest dick move was taking 1 action per round to her 2 in the final round so that I know she can't take any more actions and then bump up my money production so I could win the Banker award that she funded).

But the sheer luck is starting to sour my opinion of the game. The discussion of interaction in the Dominion clone thread makes me think of TM because there isn't a whole lot you can do to slow down other people. Some cards are detrimental to others, but they are usually minor. I think that's probably for the best because if you have a huge attack, that sends the game down a different path that I might not find as enjoyable.

There are possible ways on the board to block some strategies. Like putting the ocean geyser (whatever it's called) on an ocean tile adjacent to the capital so its owner can't benefit from that. Or placing an artificial lake next to someone's city. But those are still hugely based on the luck of the draw. I pointed out that one reason for my victory in one game was because her corporation benefited from claiming hexes with steel and titanium, so I claimed many of those spaces first to deny her access to them.

I wonder if there are ways to level the playing field without imposing an actual handicap. I suppose I could take the beginner corporation while she gains the benefit of an advanced corporation, but the beginner corp has the benefit of essentially starting with 72 credits, which is not shabby. It just would mean I don't start off with a focus, which could also be an advantage (I played a game where I started with 20 steel and didn't draw any buildings until the third turn).

I feel like the game may go better with more than 2 players. Cards like ants and predators can only really target one other person in a 2-player game. At least if there are multiple targets, then you can beat on the leader for a bit. We just haven't had anybody around to fill in another seat at the table.

Watno:
This game is really hyped and I absolutely don't get it.
I don't think the game is horrible, but I feel like I could play RFTG for a similar feel and get 5 games played i the same amount of time, each with about the same amount of relevant decisions as the single Terraforming Mars game.

pacovf:
The main draw of the game is the theme, which is really strong. The terraforming ratings (O2, water, temperature) are also a cool way to balance cards because of the interaction with other players.

It definitely has problems, luck of the draw being the big one (especially some corporations), though that one is mitigated by using the draft variant and having more players. I think it works better with more than two players, though the attack cards can make it feel *very* unfair then if you get picked on early (you snowball *hard* in TF), IMHO the game would be better without them. I also wish the board was a bit more important, aside from snatching good city spots from other players.

DG:
For that size of game there is too much luck. I think the straight options are better than people think they are, and it's certainly a mistake to buy marginal cards (the "big engine") that actually provide no value, but you can still get hosed by bad cards draws (full of marginal cards). The map is more relevant than it first appears and gives a significant vp shift even though it does nothing for the big engine. It's probably a better 3 or 4 player game than 2 player game.

Kuildeous:

--- Quote from: Watno on March 26, 2018, 12:17:33 pm ---This game is really hyped and I absolutely don't get it.
I don't think the game is horrible, but I feel like I could play RFTG for a similar feel and get 5 games played i the same amount of time, each with about the same amount of relevant decisions as the single Terraforming Mars game.

--- End quote ---

Apparently I like the game more than you do, but I cannot disagree with your assessment one bit. The luck factor is quite huge in this game. I don't think it's as bad as RFTG because each card in TM (aside from those limited to early game) can do you some good. There's not as much synergy bonus as with RFTG (*cough* military strategy). At least that's my impression of it. But that luck factor is undeniably there. 

Like pacovf said, the theme is great. I absolutely love seeing certain cards working when Mars is still frigid/oxygen-poor/arid and then seeing the cards that require warmth/oxygen/moisture to work. And maybe that makes TM a better experience than a game.

I think I may implement the drafting variant. It makes hanging onto the cards more difficult, and there is some interaction. For example, if I'm built in the NW quadrant of the planet, I sure as hell don't want to give away the card that causes a volcanic eruption there. Note to future self: Don't build in the NW quadrant. My wife doesn't like it when I introduce new variants; she wanted to continue playing with beginner corporations even though the rulebook strongly suggests you go advanced after your first game. But drafting does two things: a) lets you mess with the other players' hands and b) gives you an idea of what cards may be out there. Granted, if you're playing 3+ players, you'll have no idea who took what.

I do like TM, but I am grateful for not buying it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version