Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51]  All

Author Topic: M115: Okkervil River Mafia (Game over - Town wins!)  (Read 140737 times)

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: M115: Okkervil River Mafia (Game over - Town wins!)
« Reply #1250 on: May 14, 2018, 06:50:00 pm »

So your first shot on me, you didn't know I was SK? Or was I tracked beforehand.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 14, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »

So your first shot on me, you didn't know I was SK? Or was I tracked beforehand.

I didn't know you were the SK. I thought you'd displayed a little bit too much of an understanding of the targeting-role mechanics earlier, so I figured you for the IC tracker.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 14, 2018, 08:06:25 pm »

Yayyyy good job guys!
Gg everyone!
DatSwan, were you serious about gkrieg at the end there or were you up to something tricky?

Wanted to see if it would make him vote or if it would cause someone to vote him.
Figured after no vote first time if anyone was even gonna vote him it would not get 3 on it.
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 15, 2018, 08:35:33 am »

Mod QT: https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/k87hQ6LR3wd <-- Night actions, some game commentary and probably an annoying amount of me prepping song lyrics ahead of time so that I could post them without wasting a lot of time on the fly.

Mafia QT: https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/5ztFQnnAhpBdt

Speccy: https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/s8qEf4ktDHh

Thoughts:

During the game, Okkervil River released a new album that is lighter and more hopeful than anything they've released before. I found Will Sheff's songwriting suitable for mafia because he has so many meditations on death and the nature of evil, but his new album is completely different and it gave more material for a potential town win. The smiling Will Sheff picture that I used to signify a town win didn't exist when the game started - it was taken during the first show for his new album. I really enjoyed sharing the song lyrics, so thanks for giving me a platform for that.

D3 was the crucial day. Almost all of town and SK rallied around lynching Galzria, and then mafia took a hit when both TWM and Galzria had to replace out of the game from the original mafia team. It would have been interesting to see what may have happened if mafia had 3 active teammates through all of D3. I'm also curious to know whether EFHW was planning to hammer Hydrad before the deadline if it would have come to no lynch otherwise.

Hidden commuter was probably the most awkward part of the setup. There was a lot of confusion about how it worked (Space was untargetable all game, but could still target other players), and the way that it acted as a simultaneous buff and potential nerf to mafia did not end up feeling good.

The rolestopping power also ended up being very good for mafia; they were able to use it to rolestop the teammate that O targeted for a kill two nights in a row. This didn't end up terribly hurting town, as they were still able to lynch that player the following day, but it made it a lot harder for O to win as serial killer. If I ran a similar setup again, I don't think I would give mafia 5 potential days worth of self protection from the SK in addition to a hidden commuter that further protects them.

O played well and has made fair points about the under-poweredness of the SK here. He also had a slightly better shot at winning than he what he thought. Mafia targeted him because they considered him to be towny, not because they thought he was the SK. If he had been able to keep a lower profile (hard in a low activity game) or if mafia decided to target DatSwan or gkrieg instead, he may have been able avoid the NK and ultimately win. That being said, his path to victory was definitely more narrow than anyone else's.

Both DatSwan and gkrieg had basically correct reads going into D3 & afterward, which was really impressive. DatSwan even had almost all correct reads N1, except that he had Robz (who he helped mislynch D2) pegged as a possible scum.

I'll give the MVP to gkrieg13 for both early correct reads really keeping it together and handling situations well throughout the entire game, including endgame. Nod to DatSwan and O for also playing well throughout.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 15, 2018, 09:48:51 am »

If hidden commuter could target people, what's the nerf? Maybe it would be better to have a random scum be hidden commuter each night, and they can't target people.

I looked back at Day 3. I might have hammered. Lalight hammered so far before deadline I hadn't had to make a decision. But I do remember, as I said Day 4, that a lot of the reasoning about Galzria/Hydrad seemed flawed to me at the time and that made me suspicious and I didn't want to just go along.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 15, 2018, 10:00:56 am »

Thanks for the MVP!

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:39 am »

@mcmc - remember for next time that I was town here!

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 15, 2018, 10:06:14 am »

Thanks for the MVP!
Congrats gkrieg. I'm glad our misunderstandings didn't get us into mutual scum-reading this time!

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 15, 2018, 10:09:09 am »

During the game, Okkervil River released a new album that is lighter and more hopeful than anything they've released before.
Anti-depressants?

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 15, 2018, 10:35:39 am »

During the game, Okkervil River released a new album that is lighter and more hopeful than anything they've released before.
Anti-depressants?

He talked about attending Quaker meetings, therapy and microdosing on hallucinogens, all of which contributed to a major shift in perspective.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: May 15, 2018, 10:42:03 am »

If hidden commuter could target people, what's the nerf? Maybe it would be better to have a random scum be hidden commuter each night, and they can't target people.

I looked back at Day 3. I might have hammered. Lalight hammered so far before deadline I hadn't had to make a decision. But I do remember, as I said Day 4, that a lot of the reasoning about Galzria/Hydrad seemed flawed to me at the time and that made me suspicious and I didn't want to just go along.

Having a teammate who can't target anyone and who doesn't know that would be a huge nerf to mafia. Hidden commuter can still be a nerf because a commuter returns "No result" to trackers in a setup where it is all but guaranteed for there to be one tracker and the most likely roles after that is a second tracker.

Hidden commuter was the wrong term though. The modifier should have been called hidden self rolestopper.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 15, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »

Having a teammate who can't target anyone and who doesn't know that would be a huge nerf to mafia. Hidden commuter can still be a nerf because a commuter returns "No result" to trackers in a setup where it is all but guaranteed for there to be one tracker and the most likely roles after that is a second tracker.

Hidden commuter was the wrong term though. The modifier should have been called hidden self rolestopper.

For reference, what does ninja kill return on being tracked?

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 15, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »

For reference, what does ninja kill return on being tracked?

If someone tracked your ninja kill, it would have returned "O did not visit anyone," as long as the tracker wasn't roleblocked, and you weren't rolestopped, and all that good stuff.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 15, 2018, 05:45:04 pm »

With rolestopping, roleblocking and commuter, "no result" wouldn't usually be very damning. But it was in this case, so there is that.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 16, 2018, 01:14:20 pm »

@mcmc - remember for next time that I was town here!

Yea, I was surprised even at the end. I have to go back and see exactly why I scumread you.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.