Dominion > Dominion Articles

How to be good at Dominion

(1/9) > >>

Awaclus:
Always keep in mind that winning is more important than having fun, and learning is more important than winning (unless it’s an important tournament match, in which case winning takes precedence). If you have an ambitious goal that you want to reach, such as being good at Dominion, you can’t expect to get there by fooling around forever, and you certainly can’t expect to get there by doing the things you already know how to do forever. If you want to get there, you need to be prepared to work hard, and you need to be prepared to fail.

In other words, whenever you’re just playing Dominion on the ladder or even unranked games, don’t pick the most fun strategy or the strategy that gives you the best odds of winning, pick the strategy that makes you feel the most uncomfortable. If you can’t do that, you might have to face the harsh reality that you won’t have great hopes of getting good at Dominion.

weesh:

--- Quote from: Awaclus on March 24, 2018, 05:31:14 pm ---...don’t pick the most fun strategy or the strategy that gives you the best odds of winning, pick the strategy that makes you feel the most uncomfortable...

--- End quote ---

I'm not even trying that hard to get good at dominion...but I still follow that because I like learning and experimenting.
I often let whoever i'm playing with go first, so I can guarantee that I don't pick the same opening.

Watno:
I think there is a problem with this strategy: if you're not having fun, there's a good chance you'll stop playing.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: Watno on March 25, 2018, 05:38:27 am ---I think there is a problem with this strategy: if you're not having fun, there's a good chance you'll stop playing.

--- End quote ---

Sure, if you're not determined enough.

J Reggie:
See, it was the opposite of this for me. When I first started playing, I lost almost every game. But I was having so much fun that I kept playing, and eventually I got better and better. But winning was never really the goal; I play games because they're fun. If all I cared about was winning and never having fun, I would endlessly play tic tac toe against someone who doesn't know that the game is solved. Or something along those lines. I would have never gotten good at dominion if all I cared about was winning, because I probably would have quit first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version