Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Transmute, Revised  (Read 1523 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Transmute, Revised
« on: March 23, 2018, 04:29:44 pm »
+3

Transmute, Revised
Action, P
Trash a card from your hand.
If it is an…
Action card, gain a Duchy
Treasure card, gain an Action costing up to $4 more than it.
Victory card, gain a Gold
When you buy this, +1 Buy.

The two changes are: adding “When you buy this, +1 Buy” (so that it’s easier to buy), and gaining an Action costing up to $4 more than a trashed treasure (instead of gaining a Transmute). It can turn your Potion into a Prince!

I saw someone else propose “when you buy this, +1 Buy” to make Transmute easier to gain. It’s commonly recognized that Transmute turning Treasures into Transmutes is a key flaw in the card. I’ve seen multiple solutions to that, including “gain an action costing up to $4” or “gain an Action” - I chose something in between these power levels. It still doesn't seem like a strong card, but this version should have a reasonable probability to get bought even on boards where it is the only Potion-cost card.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
Re: Transmute, Revised
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 04:58:05 pm »
+1

Transmute, Revised
[...]
When you buy this, +1 Buy.
[...]
It still doesn't seem like a strong card, but this version should have a reasonable probability to get bought even on boards where it is the only Potion-cost card.
Making things cost 0 buys is a great combo enabler for Goons/Trader => infinite VP (currently uses Highway and Forum to go infinite). Nothing makes cards cost fewer potions, though, so I don't think this enables any new infinite combos :)

Power-level-wise: it looks like a weird hybrid between Moneylender and Workshop. If there was a decent engine on the board and Fixed Transmute was the only trasher, I'd most likely take it. If "First Game" had this but no Workshop or Remodel, I'd probably open Potion/Silver. I agree that it's still on the unimpressive side of things, but... it's still a lot better than the real Transmute ;D — so well done!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:28:13 pm »

Power-level-wise: it looks like a weird hybrid between Moneylender and Workshop. If there was a decent engine on the board and Fixed Transmute was the only trasher, I'd most likely take it. If "First Game" had this but no Workshop or Remodel, I'd probably open Potion/Silver. I agree that it's still on the unimpressive side of things, but... it's still a lot better than the real Transmute ;D — so well done!

Thank you. Fixed Transmute isn't so weak that it would be unnecessary in the "First Game" (with Woodcutter becoming Merchant for 2nd edition) because of Workshop alone. If the "First Game" had Fixed Transmute instead of Remodel (and still had Workshop), you'd probably open Potion to get it. Gaining Villages/Smithy is nice, but being able to trash Coppers at the same time (with Fixed Transmute) is much better, and while initially you'd probably prioritize trashing Copper and would only want to turn 1 Estate into Gold, once you're drawing the deck reliably turning all of the Estates into Golds would be valuable as well.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:58:29 pm »

Just for kicks, I would also have it give +1 Buy on-play. Then you don’t *need* a gainer to sustain it if you trash down via some other method, and it forces people to buy it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 12:10:53 pm »

If the "First Game" had Fixed Transmute instead of Remodel (and still had Workshop), you'd probably open Potion to get it.
Seems right. Actually, in "First Game" it'd be great at injecting payload and getting rid of your estates. In your kingdom you wouldn't have the Remodel/Gold tricks around, which is probably OK... I think I'd like "First Game, Fixed" with your Transmute and Remodel rather than Transmute and Workshop; it seems like it overshadows Workshop, except you can option Potion/Workshop. Meh. Maybe.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.