Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: When are Travellers ignorable?  (Read 8897 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: When are Travellers ignorable?
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 01:25:50 pm »

in general Guide is more useful the less uniform your deck is. Having a Traveller you want to advance at all costs is about as non-uniform as a deck can be.
Not really. Having a Masquerade that you want to play at all costs is just as non-uniform.
OK. Maybe: ...as non-uniform as a deck should be.

If you want to play Masquerade at all costs, you can buy a second Masquerade instead of a Guide. Ditto a second Ambassador. If you want to play Hero at all costs, well, that's a little trickier.

Why would you want to play Hero at all costs if your entire deck consists of Guides and Treasures?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 01:40:09 pm »

You wouldn't want to. But equally, it's not realistic to suppose that's all your deck would contain. While you're buffing your Traveller, life goes on.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 02:04:32 pm »

You wouldn't want to. But equally, it's not realistic to suppose that's all your deck would contain. While you're buffing your Traveller, life goes on.

It's not all that your deck would contain, but it's probably a better idea to buy a Masquerade or an Ambassador than a Guide anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 02:26:50 pm »

Hmm. It's a pity that it would be so hard to provide a neutral and sensible model for the rest of the kingdom and the rest of the gameplay, but it would be fascinating to see a simulation of how opening Page+Guide and picking up Masquerade/Ambassador after first shuffle compared with opening Page+Masq/Amb and picking up Guide after the first shuffle.

The back of my envelope suggests that Guide saves you about 0.75 turns per shuffle, so buying it before the first shuffle gets you Champion 0.75 turns sooner. And having Champion in play can give you an extra play of Masq/Amb each turn so in the long run you're only costing yourself 0.25 of a play of Masq/Amb by buying Guide on T1/T2.

I'm pretty sure that holds for Masquerade, anyway. Ambassador is more complicated, because:
  • Thinning by two cards per play is a bigger deal than Masquerade's one.
  • Getting a card via another player's Ambassador will hurt your advancement towards Champion; exchanging a card via another player's Masquerade doesn't.
  • But conversely, with Ambassador out and about, getting to Champion ASAP is all the more important

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2018, 03:40:36 pm »
+3

Wow, the page is so overrated here. Looks like when its bad both players make the same mistake of going for page and don't realize the mistake.

Board with a junker and no trashing and you will lose before you could play champion. More often than not I wouldn't open a page on such board 3/4 opening. It doesn't protect you vs junking as before you could play champion curses are out. If money is the correct call silver gives better tempo than a meaningless champion. Trying to buy terminals to build champion deck usually doesn't work, with long shuffles you will have a lot of turns with terminal collision and opponent will get decisive VP lead. For engine you really something like cotr/fishing village to get going and then you don't need champion later.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.