Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Playing the new Guilds & Cornucopia!  (Read 26315 times)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Re: Playing the new Guilds & Cornucopia!
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2018, 03:34:08 pm »
+1

I am confused... why would you have a problem with Witch and Curse, but not with Haunted Castle and an Enchantress turning people into pigs? I could understand having a problem with all of them, but only with some...?

To be fair, Dominion is riddled with occultism. If you want to completely abandon everything remotely related to the occult, you can't play Dominion. But you can't use the English (or Dutch) names for the weeks of the day anymore either, because they refer to Germanic/Norse (pagan) gods. Banning everything remotely occult out of your life is simply not doable unless you spend the rest of your days in a monastery. (Hey, that's also a Dominion card!)

Being a christian myself, I felt a little bit uneasy when Nocturne came out. It's by far the darkest expansion so far, thematically, and almost all of the cards have some reference to the occult. But I kinda got over it. I figured God won't condemn me just because of a card game.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2018, 03:42:28 pm »
+6

Being a christian myself, I felt a little bit uneasy when Nocturne came out. It's by far the darkest expansion so far, thematically, and almost all of the cards have some reference to the occult. But I kinda got over it. I figured God won't condemn me just because of a card game.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2018, 04:00:36 pm »
+5

Also, it's a game.  Is having a card called "Witch" implying you condone witchcraft?  By that logic, Militia means you're going to raise an army, Torturer means you've got a dungeon in your basement.... like I dunno.  It just seems silly.  It's just a game, there's no such thing as real magic.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2018, 04:10:21 pm »
+2

Being a christian myself, I felt a little bit uneasy when Nocturne came out.
I've played Secret Hitler. In a church.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2018, 04:15:46 pm »

Also, it's a game.  Is having a card called "Witch" implying you condone witchcraft?  By that logic, Militia means you're going to raise an army, Torturer means you've got a dungeon in your basement.... like I dunno.  It just seems silly.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured.

It's just a game, there's no such thing as real magic.

That's where I respectfully disagree. There are real witches in the world who practice real magic by means of real rituals. My girlfriend used to be a witch before she converted to christianity. It's real, it's dangerous, it's demonic, and the people who get involved with it tend to get in over their heads. Sure, it doesn't work like in the Harry Potter books, where you say a single Latin word and a beam of light shoots out of your wand - it's more subtle than that. But it does exist.

...but we're getting really far off topic here. My apologies.

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2018, 09:04:59 pm »
+3

Sure, it doesn't work like in the Harry Potter books, where you say a single Latin word and a beam of light shoots out of your wand - it's more subtle than that. But it does exist.
It also doesn't work like setting a card on the table, picking up two more cards from a stack sitting nearby, and handing a purple card from a stack of them to each of your friends.

The only people I've seen who are actually afraid of playing card games or reading books that mention terms associated with the occult tend not to be very familiar with the occult.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2018, 09:32:24 pm »
+2

Huh.  Horn of Plenty no longer has the big on it.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2018, 02:22:33 am »
+1

Also, it's a game.  Is having a card called "Witch" implying you condone witchcraft?  By that logic, Militia means you're going to raise an army, Torturer means you've got a dungeon in your basement.... like I dunno.  It just seems silly.  It's just a game, there's no such thing as real magic.

Take it to RSP.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2018, 02:45:40 am »
+5

Torturer means you've got a dungeon in your basement....

Actually I have 10 Dungeons in my basement.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2018, 09:10:50 am »
+2

The magic/witchcraft discussion was indeed continued in RSP :) See: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18422.0

To post something more ontopic:

I like it better this way, the card gets a lot less crowded and it doesn't really need the big 0 to clarify that it's a Treasure card that doesn't intrinsically give you $.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2018, 09:46:39 am »
+8

Cornucopia and Guilds have been brought up to 2nd edition on the wiki.  All that remains is to wait for Dominion Online to update to the Coffers wording, so I can get screencaps of those cards.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2018, 05:13:28 am »

[I updated the wiki]

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.

Liar! :P

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2018, 05:28:57 am »
+1

The only other expansion I don’t have is intrigue. But only because I’m trying to find the original at reasonable price. I want sabatour and secret chamber! And tribute looked like an interesting interactive card. Coppersmith would be an awesome addition to my copper strategy games. Apothecary, counting house, settlers, bustling village, beggar, fountain, goons, storyteller, gardens. Even just a couple of these in the game is a strong copper strategy.

I would strongly advise getting 2nd ed Intrigue and just making up some fan cards to match the removed 1st ed cards you like. The cards added to 2nd ed are some of the best dominion cards going. The ones that were removed generally look cool but turn out not to be once you've played with them a bit. Coppersmith can be interesting but Secret Chamber is horribly fiddly and Tribute is just annoying and pretty weak too.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2018, 07:43:58 am »
+1

[I updated the wiki]

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.

Liar! :P

I tried to update the "Second Edition" page once, then Wero the Great modified my post after just a couple of hours, and everything was clearer! He really is Great!

@ werothegreat: Talking about "Second Edition", you can maybe post that "Base Cards" isn't updated yet, and that it will be updated before Alchemy? Just a thought...

cfishrun

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2018, 11:21:54 pm »

A few comments and photos...

Contents:

I apologize in advance as I do not mean to hi-jack this thread. However, there seems to be an active and knowledgeable player-base here so I'm hoping someone can answer my question based on personal experience...

I JUST received a copy of Guilds and Cornucopia via Amazon. According to the seller this is the 2nd Edition, but I just want to make sure before opening the box as it conflicts with some other information. My box has "Rio Grande Games 2017" on it, so I'm thinking it is 2E. However, I have all of the other 2E expansions and on the back they all say (for example): "Dominion: Adventures is an expansion, and cannot be played by itself; to play with it, you need Dominion (or the first edition of Intrigue)" My G&C box does not say the "or the first edition of Intrigue" part, which I thought was one of the ways to identify a 2nd edition.

In addition, my box's contents section is different than what is listed in the rules section (above). It says:
"Contents:
300 cards
25 coins
6 mats
box liner
inlay
rule booklet"

Can anyone clarify?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2018, 11:25:01 pm »
+4

That is 2nd Edition.  The first edition did not have mats.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2018, 01:34:13 am »
+1

That is 2nd Edition.  The first edition did not have mats.
Also you can tell from the card images (on the back cover) - two of them have the large font.

Somehow I forgot about the "first editions of Intrigue" thing when doing that back cover.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:40:42 pm by Donald X. »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2018, 02:18:39 am »

Interestingly, it still has the small $0 symbols, making Crown the only Treasure to not feature them.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +293
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2018, 07:53:46 pm »
+3

Feast yer eyes on the high-res Coffers mat:

Can't.  No feast!  We've left 1st Edition!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Sade

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2018, 07:44:45 am »
+2

Can't.  No feast!  We've left 1st Edition!

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2018, 12:04:54 pm »
+1

I just saw that the new card to mark the Bane pile is actually called a "Bane card" in the rules, which is very unfortunate, since the cards from the Bane pile are called Bane cards. This leads to these unfortunate sentences in the rules:

[...] mark its pile with the Bane card (underneath it, sideways). This is the "Bane" pile referred to by Young Witch; cards that start the game in this pile are "Bane cards."

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2018, 12:32:19 pm »
+10

I just saw that the new card to mark the Bane pile is actually called a "Bane card" in the rules, which is very unfortunate, since the cards from the Bane pile are called Bane cards. This leads to these unfortunate sentences in the rules:

[...] mark its pile with the Bane card (underneath it, sideways). This is the "Bane" pile referred to by Young Witch; cards that start the game in this pile are "Bane cards."
A leak from the upcoming superhero-themed expansion shows that it just gets worse:
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2018, 02:31:21 pm »
+1

I just noticed that there is a printing error in the rules PDF. In the FAQ section, the image for Followers is repeated instead of the image for Trusty Steed. Of course it's too late to fix this in the published game, but it can be fixed for next time.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2018, 03:57:02 pm »
+1

I just noticed that there is a printing error in the rules PDF. In the FAQ section, the image for Followers is repeated instead of the image for Trusty Steed. Of course it's too late to fix this in the published game, but it can be fixed for next time.
Wero caught this and I've reported it. Also the Possession FAQ has right for left, but that one wasn't printed yet.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2018, 05:31:18 pm »
+3

Wero caught this and I've reported it. Also the Possession FAQ has right for left, but that one wasn't printed yet.

It sounds like it's printed now(?). Hopefully you also caught this error, for Scrying Pool:

If you run out of cards without revealing an Action card, shuffle your discard pile and keep going.

I'm pretty sure this should be "non-Action card", as it was in the 1st edition rules.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.