Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: For fun & giggles  (Read 1176 times)

Philipp

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
For fun & giggles
« on: March 19, 2018, 06:00:32 pm »
+4

We leave the real & balanced cards to Master Donald... these cards we just made for fun & giggles! We drew them on cardboard and to play with them, assigned a real card that was sort of like-looking to be that card. Translations from German below. (We own 4 extensions, sorry if a name or such of an existing card is repeated.)

Tax Collector
Take 1 card each (random and unseen) from the hand of all
other players to your own hand.
+1 Action
Cost: 5 - Action - Attack

Goldmine
Take 1 Gold to your hand and gain 1 Gold.
Everyone else gets 1 Gold to their deck.
Cost: 5 - Action

Firestorm
Every other player trashes 2 of their hand cards.
They draw 1 card from their deck.
Cost: 4 - Action - Attack

Reward
All other players together decide on 2 cards to give to you from the stock
(of cost 3 or higher each, but no Victory cards). You put them to your hand.
Cost: 4 - Action

Good Fairy
+ 2 Cards
+ 1 Action
The other player who first shouts "Good Fairy" after this card is played
gains 1 Gold. You gain 1 Gold. (Whenever someone shouts Good Fairy
when none is played, they gain a Curse.)
Cost: 4 - Action

Word of advice: Good Fairy and Reward made us laugh a lot. Reward, because it can be used for something that doesn't help the other person, and also because it initiates a discussion among the other players. I also wanted to add a touch of cooperative or helpful play as one of us sometimes gets into fights. Good Fairy on the other hand is just generally funny (and sometimes requires an extra round or decision if both shout at the same time). One reason for introducing Good Fairy is to punish the absent-minded or those who do something else when it's not their turn!

Caveat: Try not to use Goldmine and Good Fairy in the same game... the Gold stock will be empty soon! Though that too caused giggles...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:06:29 pm by Philipp »

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Re: For fun & giggles
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:18:46 pm »
+2

With reward people can just say scout.
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 07:31:45 am »

Uh, well... I guess as you already mentioned they are unbalanced, I don't have to mention it, but Firestorm and Tax Collector are really awfully unbalanced and broken. Not only can they lock other players out of the game by playing them several times a turn, but both also have the issue that early on they will actually help opponents and later on they will be incredibly harsh, and depending entirely on the luck of the draw to boot. Tax Collector also scales too much per player count. Attacks that steal from other players' hands come up so often with fans, but there's a reason they aren't in actual Dominion.

Good Fairy is practically better than Lab at a lower price, but even though the "be fast" thing will probably annoy serious players (after all it'll cause "No, I was first!" discussions) it's at least original. Same for Reward, which has a nice base concept, but should probably just have the player to your left pick the card to avoid deadlocks where your opponents can't decide for the same card. Gold Mine seems, uh, fine?

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 01:38:20 am »

Change Good Fairy to +1 card. Its still a cantripping gold gainer which is pretty awesome for 4 but no longer playable in 2 player. In multiplayer you are gaining gold every time and in theory your opponents aren't (assuming who is first changes).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.791 seconds with 20 queries.