Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A lot going on, here...  (Read 2745 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
A lot going on, here...
« on: March 15, 2018, 02:25:20 pm »
+2

I played an RL Adventures and Nocturne game last night:

Kingdom piles:

Events:

Heirlooms:

I lost badly.

Both I and opponent wanted Inheritance on Shepherd. Both I and my opponent opted for Gold from Leprechaun as our economy. But there we diverged.

My opponent opened Magpie/Leprechaun, and used the flood of Magpies to get Wishes instead of Hexes after a shuffle or two. They only bought one Shepherd, and one Estate. But they ramped up to Province turns pretty quickly.

I instead opened Peasant/Leprechaun, intending that the Peasant would give me double-Estate turns early on and double-Province turns later. While waiting to spike $7, I bought Estates, and a couple of early Shepherds to lubricate things.

Annoyingly, two of my first three Hexes were War, trashing one of my Shepherds and Locusts, turning an Estate into a Curse. And I reached $6 three times before I managed to spike $7. Meanwhile, my opponent's shuffling seemed to be alternating Magpies with Treasures an uncanny proportion of the time. By the time I'd managed to Inherit and get my engine going, my opponent had choked on green... but it was too late.

Each of us once used Alms to buy Cemetery and trash Copper. Opponent took out four Copper that way; I trashed three Copper and held back my Haunted Mirror. I'm not sure if that was a mistake, or if it could have paid off if I'd got going more quickly. A Ghostly Shepherd feels like a fine start to a turn!

It feels like the luck went heavily against me, but did I also choose the wrong line of play? My instinct was to focus somewhat on winning the Estate split, but then my opponent didn't compete. Neither of us bought Artificer; if I'd got going two or three shuffles sooner I expect I'd have picked one up as a way of parlaying all that spare green into a Province once I'd started drawing my deck.

Opponent used one Wish to gain a Hireling. I'm not sure that was a smart choice, but they were winning comfortably by that point anyway. With hindsight, I wish I'd picked up one Ratcatcher instead of an Estate early on, to thin things out a bit. (And to trigger Haunted Mirror more easily than Cemetery can.)

Nobody even thought of touching Crypt or Exorcist.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
Re: A lot going on, here...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:15:20 pm »

I think i would have tried magpie/cemetery as an opening.  I might have trashed the 2 estate hand, and tried to outrace the inheritance.
cemetery is so good with a gainer and alms is amazing for that.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:23:40 pm »
+4

Really interesting board! There's a powerful engine here with Artificer and tons of draw (Magpie with the +1 Card token from Teacher, or Shepherd + inherited Estates). Inheritance should go on Magpie or Shepherd, and then Artificers can pick up Estates rapidly.

Opening Leprechaun looks like a waste of an opportunity to get a Peasant, Magpie, or Alms for Cemetery. If you're lucky enough to get 5/2, open Artificer/Cemetery. Otherwise, I think you want Cemetery and one of Peasant or Magpie. Game should pile on Estates, Magpies, and Artificers if both players adopt this strategy. If the engine isn't fully contested, build to huge turns with Artificer and all of the draw.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:51:56 am »

Really interesting board! There's a powerful engine here with Artificer and tons of draw (Magpie with the +1 Card token from Teacher, or Shepherd + inherited Estates). Inheritance should go on Magpie or Shepherd, and then Artificers can pick up Estates rapidly.
To be clear, are you advocating forgetting about economy entirely and instead gaining everything via Artificer and Alms?

If so, how do you ever muster $7 for the Inheritance? I agree, looking at the kingdom with fresh eyes, that Leprechaun may not be the greatest way ever of reaching $7, but there has to be some plan to achieve it!

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 04:01:29 am »
+1

First four turns should be

Peasant
Alms->cemetery-> trash 3 or 4 coppers
Silver
Sheperd

Now you have a decent chance for a good shepherd in T5/6 drawing 3 coppers, silver, soldier and inherit shepherds. Add Artificier, and let the deck explode.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:50:07 am »
+2

I don't think you need early Inheritance.
First shuffle alms / cemetery / Peasant
Leads to very early teacher.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.