Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Number of curses in 3-4 player games  (Read 1174 times)

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
Number of curses in 3-4 player games
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:38:58 pm »
+1

My play group is thinking about experimenting with a setup of "6 curses per player", rather than the current 10-20-30 model for 3 (6.67 each) and 4 (7.5 each) player games.

This would slightly tone down the junking that can happen, but still allow for each cursing attack to generally hand out a curse to everyone, or no one.  expectancy of 6 per player is still higher than what happens in 2 player games, so it doesn't seem to be crazy to reduce it to that level.

Is there a specific reason that 20-30 plays better than 18-24, that we are just not seeing?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Number of curses in 3-4 player games
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:13:15 pm »
+1

My play group is thinking about experimenting with a setup of "6 curses per player", rather than the current 10-20-30 model for 3 (6.67 each) and 4 (7.5 each) player games.

This would slightly tone down the junking that can happen, but still allow for each cursing attack to generally hand out a curse to everyone, or no one.  expectancy of 6 per player is still higher than what happens in 2 player games, so it doesn't seem to be crazy to reduce it to that level.

Is there a specific reason that 20-30 plays better than 18-24, that we are just not seeing?

While I don't know about "10" specifically; the big difference here is that you are looking at curses per player; while the real game looks at curses per opponent. The official rules make more sense if you consider the situation where only 1 player gets a curser... no matter what player count (discounting attack protection), each opponent will get 10 curses. In your system a 2 player game will give your opponent 12 curses, a 3 player game will give each opponent 9 curses, while a 4 player game will give each opponent 8 curses.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:22:15 pm »
+2

I believe Donald has said somewhere that he would consider reducing the number of Curses for different player counts if he were making the game from scratch. I think it sounds like a fine thing to experiment with. I'd probably just bring it down to 8 Curses per opponent. So, 16 Curses for a 3-player game and 24 Curses for a 4-player game.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:34:31 pm »
+1

While I don't know about "10" specifically; the big difference here is that you are looking at curses per player; while the real game looks at curses per opponent. The official rules make more sense if you consider the situation where only 1 player gets a curser... no matter what player count (discounting attack protection), each opponent will get 10 curses. In your system a 2 player game will give your opponent 12 curses, a 3 player game will give each opponent 9 curses, while a 4 player game will give each opponent 8 curses.

yeah, the official rules keep the number of times a curser is played to full effect consistent at 10, and that goes down if you measure curses by players, rather than opponents.  But there is rarely a situation where only one player is cursing.  the more common scenario is that most people are cursing, and measuring per player can mitigate the damage that can be done to a single deck. 

I believe Donald has said somewhere that he would consider reducing the number of Curses for different player counts if he were making the game from scratch. I think it sounds like a fine thing to experiment with. I'd probably just bring it down to 8 Curses per opponent. So, 16 Curses for a 3-player game and 24 Curses for a 4-player game.

That seems pretty reasonable.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:45:37 am »

In multiplayer, a strategy for staying away from cursing or any form of attack becomes more viable because of the non-zero sum nature. If you are the only player not contesting curses in two-player, you'll get 10 to 0 curses and be probably toast. In three-player, you get on average 10 curses but they get 5, a difference that could be overcome. In four-player, your curses lead theirs 10 to 6 2/3. That's a difference small enough to make the purchase of a Sentry over a Witch seem viable.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.