Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Lets discuss hinterlands cards:tunnel  (Read 11093 times)

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Lets discuss hinterlands cards:tunnel
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:00:39 pm »
+1

This is one of my favorite cards. I think it should be five not three
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Lets discuss hinterlands cards:tunnel
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 12:00:30 am »
+5

What?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

benedettosoxfan

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:29:56 am »
+11

I can totally understand why you might think tunnel should cost 5. I remember back when I was discovering the game, and hinterlands was the 2nd set I ever got, I had a phase where I thought tunnel was AMAZING. It's so satisfying triggering the gold gaining effect kind of like activating a menagerie or forging away all the junk in your deck. You have this vision of activating a couple tunnels over and over again and just loading your deck up with gold after gold after gold. Hinterlands has some great enablers with cartographer, oasis, oracle etc. and it also gives you the last laugh if your opponent plays a militia or minion at the wrong time.

When I first looked online to see what other people thought were the best cards and first stumbled upon the annual rankings here, I was pretty surprised to see tunnel near the bottom. As you learn more and more about the game and how dramatically your strategy can change depending on what's present or not present in a kingdom, it will make sense. The sad truth, and I am a fan of tunnel, is that it's not the powerhouse you think it is. In fact, it's pretty rare that you want a tunnel.

First of all, you need an enabler. As I mentioned before, there's a fair amount of the out there (cartographer, minion, artificer, cellar, etc.). If there isn't one out there, you've got a dead victory card. If there is one, you'll probably want to spend an early buy on a potentially dead victory card when you could be buying other valuable engine pieces. If you do spend an early buy on it, you need to get it to collide with your enabler. If there isn't any great trashing available, you may feel compelled to buy multiple tunnels which, while it can certainly get you more gold, can clog up your deck and make it less reliable.

Another thing that kind of goes against what you might think- you don't always want to flood your deck with gold. A gold here and there is fine as a way of buying expensive action cards which will probably be the ultimate focus of your deck. In an engine, gold is a stop card, and so is the tunnel(s) that you've used to get it, which gets in the way of drawing your deck and leaves you prone to dud turns. In pure big money games with no +buy, sure it's great to have a bunch of gold. Of course the problem is that those kind of games aren't too common anymore with how the game has evolved. There are boards where the absolute best thing you can do in a turn is just buy one province, but usually you can be doing something even better while maintaining better end game control.

So yeah while tunnel seems like it can be uber powerful, it's usually a trap. Which is a shame because during the rare even that it IS an integral part of your plan, it's soooooo satisfying. I do think it's underrated because I think gold is a little underrated and underappreciated these days, but also 2VP for $3 is not bad at all. I'm pretty sure it's the only way you can get 2vp for less than $4. I don't see why it shouldn't cost $4 to be honest. That seems to be the sweet spot for alternate vp and nobody's opening double tunnel.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:58:27 am »
+10

"Nobody's opening double Tunnel" is an argument in favor of costing it at $3: it's not so good in the opening that opening with two would be overpowered, so it's not necessary to price it at $4 to prevent people from doing that.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:31:10 am »

It can be compared to Market Square, which also can be discarded for Gold (triggered by different events though). Market Square is a cantrip which offers +Buy and may therefore be an invaluable engine component in many decks (considering how much Ruined Market can be held in appreciation). Therefore, it would be an opening cards even in some kingdoms with no trashers. Gold gaining is desirable in the first turns too; so we have two card traits that are useful at the same stage of the game. The 2VP of Tunnel, on the other side, do nothing in addition for you if you get them sooner. So there we have two card traits which are useful at different stages of the game. With no triggers in the deck, both cards would still be gained frequently, one for the +Buy needed in engines and one for a VP grab with a dud hand or an extra buy at the end of the game. With both in the kingdom and triggers available, Market Square would be preferred in the early game whereas in the late game, Tunnel would be preferred but its Gold gaining effect would be nigh irrelevant.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

benedettosoxfan

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 11:31:42 am »
+1

"Nobody's opening double Tunnel" is an argument in favor of costing it at $3: it's not so good in the opening that opening with two would be overpowered, so it's not necessary to price it at $4 to prevent people from doing that.
Oh right my bad. Still though 2vp with a bonus would make sense at $4 I would think. Cemetery and island both cost $4 and they're 2vp with a bonus. A vanilla vp card that just gave 2vp would have to cost at least $3 to be between duchy and estate. Still, the difference between costing $3 and $4 is hardly significant unlike the difference between $4 and $5.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 12:23:55 pm »
+2

A better metric is:
at what price does the card get used, but not overused?

tunnel, at least in my games, doesn't get heavy use at 3$.  and no one is trying to win the split.
3$ seems fine.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 02:51:09 pm »
+2

Tunnel at 5 also loses some functionality. At 5, people would only buy it for taking advantage of the gold gain. In the late game players would only buy it if the duchies had already run out. At 3, they can be cheap VP if you have less than 5 or multiple buys. In other words, pricing Tunnel at 5 makes it a much less interesting and versatile card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »
+3

It can be compared to Market Square, which also can be discarded for Gold (triggered by different events though). Market Square is a cantrip which offers +Buy and may therefore be an invaluable engine component in many decks (considering how much Ruined Market can be held in appreciation). Therefore, it would be an opening cards even in some kingdoms with no trashers. Gold gaining is desirable in the first turns too; so we have two card traits that are useful at the same stage of the game. The 2VP of Tunnel, on the other side, do nothing in addition for you if you get them sooner. So there we have two card traits which are useful at different stages of the game. With no triggers in the deck, both cards would still be gained frequently, one for the +Buy needed in engines and one for a VP grab with a dud hand or an extra buy at the end of the game. With both in the kingdom and triggers available, Market Square would be preferred in the early game whereas in the late game, Tunnel would be preferred but its Gold gaining effect would be nigh irrelevant.

The events which trigger these cards are also different and you have to take that into account.

You usually trash cards because you want to get rid of your cards, and you specifically buy trashers for that purpose. Sometimes you want to trash cards because a card requires you to do so in order to get its benefit, and in many cases that benefit will depend on the cost of the trashed card. As a result, Market Square triggers off of something that you're doing anyway, and it triggers off of something that synergizes with the Gold gain.

On the other hand, you usually discard cards because it's the drawback of some card whose benefit is worth it. You don't normally go out your way to discard cards, unless you're doing it with something like NW or Cartographer. And Gold gain doesn't particularly synergize with most cards that make you discard cards (Embassy is one notable exception).

In other words, Market Square is way less clunky than Tunnel because it's easier to set up and it's easier to actually utilize the effect.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 04:56:10 pm »
+2

So yeah while tunnel seems like it can be uber powerful, it's usually a trap.

I think a common mistake to "grow out of" is to mistake Tunnel activation for an end objective.

It's like you get tricked into thinking that the Gold is more valuable because it required a mini-combo to gain it.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 11:16:09 pm »

If there are no activators then its meh. But if there is activators then it is one of the best cards. Also golds do not clog up your deck. If you have four golds you can get a colony.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 07:35:07 am »
+2

If you have four golds you can get a colony.
With a being an important word here. It's not uncommon for engines to be able to purchase two Colonies on one turn, and you get up there mostly with virtual money on action cards.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 01:36:32 pm »
+6

Is building an engine good on most boards? Yes.
Is tunnel good for building engines? No.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 06:24:22 am »
+1

You can debate whether Tunnel should cost 3 or 4 but it is obvious why Donald didn't price it at 5: to not make it weaker than Duchy in Kingdoms without discarding.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 12:54:22 pm »
+2

If there are no activators then its meh. But if there is activators then it is one of the best cards slightly less meh.

Fixed.

Also golds do not clog up your deck. If you have four golds you can get a colony.

Yes they do... any card that doesn't give at least 1 card and 1 action when you play it clogs up your deck. No matter how good that card is, that's a true statement.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 04:06:12 pm »

You can debate whether Tunnel should cost 3 or 4 but it is obvious why Donald didn't price it at 5: to not make it weaker than Duchy in Kingdoms without discarding.
it's got other functionality, even if it isn't usable, so i'm not sure THAT would have been enough.
In a world where gold was great to stuff your deck full of it, it might well have been worth 5$.

Yes they do... any card that doesn't give at least 1 card and 1 action when you play it clogs up your deck. No matter how good that card is, that's a true statement.
Did you intend to say "OR"? 
Is it your belief that festivals and counsel rooms clog up your deck?  If so, your definition of a clogged up deck seems...too broad to be useful.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:08:56 pm by weesh »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 04:41:58 pm »
+3

In the latest rankings, Tunnel placed #50 out of 55 $3's.

So I mean. I don't think it should cost more.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 05:23:08 pm »

it's got other functionality, even if it isn't usable, so i'm not sure THAT would have been enough.
In a world where gold was great to stuff your deck full of it, it might well have been worth 5$.

Is it your belief that festivals and counsel rooms clog up your deck?  If so, your definition of a clogged up deck seems...too broad to be useful.

No he meant and, and he actually has a good point. If its not a cantrip then it takes space in your hand. That's why I love cantrips so much. I almost always buy the actions that are cantrips more than any other action.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 06:30:50 pm »

No he meant and, and he actually has a good point. If its not a cantrip then it takes space in your hand. That's why I love cantrips so much. I almost always buy the actions that are cantrips more than any other action.

Right. I may be mistaken about how others use the term “stop cards” but I was thinking of it as anything where if you started your turn with nothing but that card in your hand, then that turn would not let you draw your deck. This applies to terminals and disappearing +action, though in different ways (a hand of 5 Festivals is way better than a hand of 5 terminals).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 06:59:56 pm »
+3

Right. I may be mistaken about how others use the term “stop cards” but I was thinking of it as anything where if you started your turn with nothing but that card in your hand, then that turn would not let you draw your deck. This applies to terminals and disappearing +action, though in different ways (a hand of 5 Festivals is way better than a hand of 5 terminals).

I believe when most people talk about stop cards people are just talking about cards that don't draw, it's useful to know how many stop cards are in your deck so you know how much draw you're going to need to do what you want.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 07:05:09 pm »
+1

I believe when most people talk about stop cards people are just talking about cards that don't draw, it's useful to know how many stop cards are in your deck so you know how much draw you're going to need to do what you want.

That makes sense as well.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 11:47:07 pm »
+1

I'm the same way here... I get sucked into the "mini-game", and want wrack up gold for "extra fun points". 
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 10:18:02 am »

Tunnel might be a $5 card if it could self-discard.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 04:21:16 pm »

Next question: what card is the best enabler? Personally, I think it is Dungeon, but what do you guys think?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 04:35:16 pm »
+1

Next question: what card is the best enabler? Personally, I think it is Dungeon, but what do you guys think?

Margrave as the only draw or +Buy.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.