Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cursed gold opening. 7/2, 6/3, or 4/5?  (Read 7510 times)

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Cursed gold opening. 7/2, 6/3, or 4/5?
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:16:50 pm »
+1

If there is a 7 card 7/2. Otherwise, 6/3.
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed gold opening. 7/2, 6/3, or 4/5?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:24:12 pm »
+4

It also might depend on just which 7-cost card is available. Forge and Expand are normally weaker than King's Court, but they're considerably stronger as turn 1 buys.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:26 pm »
+1

If forge is in the game and you get 7/2, your third turn could be play forge, trash 3 estates and 1 curse and get a gold.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:01:54 pm »
+12

Surely 3/3, 1/5, and 2/4 should be options as well?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:39:22 pm »

If there's baker prince moat and pooka, and you get the 7/2, you get a prince and a moat, and then if you get both if them on turn three, then you get a starting hand size of 7 every turn.

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:18:36 pm »
+1

If there's baker prince moat and pooka, and you get the 7/2, you get a prince and a moat, and then if you get both if them on turn three, then you get a starting hand size of 7 every turn.
I had a game the other day with Prince, Baker, and Pooka.  I opened 7/2.  I chose not to open Prince because Ironworks/Tunnel/Mill/Donate was more important.  But I thought long and hard, knowing the opportunity might never come up again.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 11:39:04 pm »

I was just looking at the poll and I saw that 5/4 is winning. Why does everybody like 5/4 so much? I also noticed that I'm the only one that voted for 7/2. Opening with a 7 card is really good.

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 12:14:28 am »
+2

7-cost cards are pretty rare, though. My main frustration with the 7-2 is that there's often a 5-cost card I'd love to open with, but then that means I'm playing the Cursed Gold as essentially Cursed Copper. That's totally the right move given the board, but it still means I'd prefer to have 6-3 or 5-4 and the chance to get a better card on my other initial turn.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:18:54 am »

I was just looking at the poll and I saw that 5/4 is winning. Why does everybody like 5/4 so much? I also noticed that I'm the only one that voted for 7/2. Opening with a 7 card is really good.

There are only 4 kingdom cards, and not that many at . If you opened / on every Cursed Gold board, you'd spend a decent amount of those hands buying a er anyway, and you're a lot more likely to be locked out of other decent options on your second hand with than you are with .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:20:38 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:04:20 am »
+2

Surely 3/3, 1/5, and 2/4 should be options as well?
It definitely matters where your Cursed Gold is. If not playing the Cursed Gold, I think 3/3 is best - 1/5 allows you to open a power $5, but you can still do that with 3/3 if you play the Cursed Gold if you really need it.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 11:47:35 am »

Given that it's often correct to not use the Cursed Gold, I vote for 6/3 so you have the 3/3 option.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:19:59 pm »
+1

Getting the Curse on the first shuffle is super bad.

To illustrate the point, if you play Cursed Gold to reach for Ill-Gotten Gains, you junk both players with a Curse and you also get a glorified Copper, which is basically just worse than not doing anything at all. Or if you play CG to reach for Lab, that's also worse than not doing anything at all because if you play the Lab and draw a Curse, that's the same as not having either card, but if you have the Curse in hand and Lab misses the shuffle, that's worse. Granted, IGG and Lab aren't exactly power cards to open with anyway, but sometimes you're pretty happy to open them on a regular 5/2 when there's nothing more important on the board.

So, if skipping your turn is better than reaching for Lab or IGG, buying something useful for $3 is probably better than reaching for any $5.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 12:52:16 pm »
+1

There's a 5$ thats very frequently worth grabbing the curse for on Cursed Gold boards in every game.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 01:11:46 pm »

To illustrate the point, if you play Cursed Gold to reach for Ill-Gotten Gains, you junk both players with a Curse and you also get a glorified Copper, which is basically just worse than not doing anything at all. Or if you play CG to reach for Lab, that's also worse than not doing anything at all because if you play the Lab and draw a Curse, that's the same as not having either card, but if you have the Curse in hand and Lab misses the shuffle, that's worse. Granted, IGG and Lab aren't exactly power cards to open with anyway, but sometimes you're pretty happy to open them on a regular 5/2 when there's nothing more important on the board.

So, if skipping your turn is better than reaching for Lab or IGG, buying something useful for $3 is probably better than reaching for any $5.
This ignores that there is always a decent $5 opening available on Cursed Gold boards: Pooka.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 01:17:23 pm »

There's a 5$ thats very frequently worth grabbing the curse for on Cursed Gold boards in every game.

I'm still not totally sold on taking a Curse to open Pooka.  I've had it work out a few times, but usually Pooka just doesn't work if you're opening with another Action, and with the Curse and only six initial trash targets (since you can't trash Cursed Gold), it can be tricky to line up with Coppers.  Pooka can trigger unfortunate shuffles, and it loses its utility rapidly as you start buying other things.  It's a great card to open with on paper, but it just hasn't come through often enough for me in practice.

What I'm really trying to say is I have no idea how to play Pooka. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 01:25:09 pm »

This ignores that there is always a decent $5 opening available on Cursed Gold boards: Pooka.

No, I said buying something useful for $3 is probably better than reaching for any $5, which includes Pooka (one of the strongest $5s).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 01:44:27 pm »

What about reaching for a power $6?  Artisan with spammable $5s on the board, Border Village for a $5, Hireling or Altar?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 02:06:17 pm »

What about reaching for a power $6?  Artisan with spammable $5s on the board, Border Village for a $5, Hireling or Altar?

Hireling is actually a really inefficient card that you should avoid in most games regardless of Cursed Gold, and Border Village doesn't make much of a difference until later. For Altar and Artisan, it's not so obvious. Powerful (and spammable) $5s is one factor that makes them more attractive, nonterminal cycling/trashing or Gear for $3 is another.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 02:08:23 pm »

It‘s true that the difference between the card you can gain using CG and the one you can afford without has to be really huge to compensate for the curse. That being said, the single most relevant situation is when you can grab a good trasher with CG, but not without it.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »

I'm still not totally sold on taking a Curse to open Pooka.  I've had it work out a few times, but usually Pooka just doesn't work if you're opening with another Action, and with the Curse and only six initial trash targets (since you can't trash Cursed Gold), it can be tricky to line up with Coppers.  Pooka can trigger unfortunate shuffles, and it loses its utility rapidly as you start buying other things.  It's a great card to open with on paper, but it just hasn't come through often enough for me in practice.

What I'm really trying to say is I have no idea how to play Pooka.

The Cursed Gold is a trap. You should almost never open Pooka. You'll just draw all your other early buys dead. The amount of $ you actually draw will also disappoint more often than not, due to the aforementioned dead draws as well as the fact that you're trashing your treasures while keeping your dead cards (4 of them thanks to the Curse.)

Pooka can be pretty good, but only if you buy it later after you have solid +action support.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 02:12:51 pm »

That being said, the single most relevant situation is when you can grab a good trasher with CG, but not without it.

I don't think that's good enough. If you grab economy that lets you buy the trasher on the second shuffle without CG, you're delaying the trashing by one shuffle. If you grab a Curse, that makes it effectively so that you're delaying the trashing by one shuffle too, except you won't have the aforementioned economy in your deck.

Pooka can be pretty good, but only if you buy it later after you have solid +action support.

Well, that's not true either. You should have Pooka before you have "solid +action support", because the main advantage of Pooka is that it makes you go through your deck super fast and that's actually a big deal and you want it as early as you can within reason (i.e. without putting a Curse into your deck t1). If you draw some of your Action cards dead, that's fine.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:16:57 pm by Awaclus »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 02:32:13 pm »

Well, that's not true either. You should have Pooka before you have "solid +action support", because the main advantage of Pooka is that it makes you go through your deck super fast and that's actually a big deal and you want it as early as you can within reason (i.e. without putting a Curse into your deck t1). If you draw some of your Action cards dead, that's fine.

What.

Drawing your action cards dead is, in fact, super bad. And the whole point of going through your deck fast is so that you can play your buys earlier... which you can't, because you're drawing them dead.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 02:42:14 pm »
+2

If you draw an action dead, but drew a bunch of cards, trashed a copper, and set yourself up for a reshuffle at the end of the turn anyways -- IE played pooka on turn 3 -- drawing the action dead really isn't that awful then.

It's pretty kingdom dependent frankly on whether the first shuffle pooka is worth it. Certainly if you have no method of trashing the curse I would say it's almost always not.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 04:41:33 pm »
+1

Surely, when deciding whether or not to play Cursed Gold,  how strong the available trashing is matters at least as much as what expensive power cards are available?

I used Cursed Gold to open Wharf/Monastery last night; the Curse was a brief and minor inconvenience.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 06:18:05 pm »
+7

It seems only natural that, on everything but the most money-back boards, you would spend Cursed Gold to open with any general purpose trasher that trashes one or more cards per shuffle, for example Upgrade, Sentry, and Remake. Gaining the Curse slows down your thinning by one card, but so does not getting the trasher before the first reshuffle. Trashing two cards with Sentry or Remake before the second reshuffle already more than offsets the Curse. Consider that you have less starting Copper economy with Cursed Gold, so there is a higher chance that you won't be able to afford the trasher even before the second reshuffle (without spending Cursed Gold).

A similar principle applies when using Cursed Gold to open with a guaranteed junker. Opening Silver/Witch (with Cursed Gold)/Silver/Silver against an opening of Silver/Silver/Witch/Silver leaves both decks at about the same state by the second reshuffle, but the big difference is that the player who spend Cursed Gold to open Witch before the first reshuffle is guaranteed to have a Witch in their deck by the second reshuffle with only one curse in deck, whereas opening Silver/Silver leaves room to miss $5 without needing to spend Cursed Gold during the second shuffle, ending up with two curses by the end of the second reshuffle unless the other player had Witch drawn on Turn 5.

Trashers that only trash your treasure economy source like Pooka and Spice Merchant are a harder sell for using Cursed Gold in the opening. You have to be aware that you with be losing more and more of your economy each turn, and it's pretty slow to replace Copper with a Silver or a similar stop card that results in your deck not getting any thinner. Getting more cantrip +$1 while cycling is kinda cool, but trashing a Copper with say Pooka to get one of those is not going to increase your deck's total spending power, so you probably want to be trashing more than one card per shuffle or even turn or else getting a net increase in your total spending power.

Any card that does a good job of bootstrapping your deck's economy quickly, including through remodeling Cursed Gold, should be strongly considered for an opening Cursed Gold use, even if there is no Curse/Estate trashing (Pooka is always there for treasure trashing), because you are going to have a sucky economy for longer than usual if you don't spend the Cursed Gold that replaced a Copper. Artisan comes to mind as a good opening with Cursed Gold when the cards it gains are stackable.

Any card that provides both trashing and economy should be seriously considered to open with using Cursed Gold. Upgrade, Trading Post, Altar, Forge, and Remake all fit this bill.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:23:48 pm by markusin »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.