Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hollow Knight  (Read 179 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3689
    • View Profile
Hollow Knight
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:45:01 pm »

It's a really good game. A cross between a Metroidvania and Dark Souls. It's tough but fair, and the artstyle is just amazing. Of note, around 3 hours in (once you get the first two traversal abilities), the game just completely opens up and lets you go pretty much wherever you want in that massive world.

Anyone else here played it? I just finished everything the game currently has to offer (aside from Path of Pain, which I do not currently intend to do), took me a bit less than 40h, and now I am waiting for the next (and final) free DLC to drop.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9697
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow Knight
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:37 am »

I've heard of it. The art-style actually doesn't really grab me, but man it's getting rave reviews. I'll probably get it when it comes out on Switch this year, assuming the port isn't botched somehow.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3689
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow Knight
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:20:51 am »

I didn't know there was a version for the Switch coming until after I bought it on Steam and started playing, otherwise I would have waited. Sounds like a good match for the Switch, honestly.

Note that if you are expecting a pure Metroivania, you might be disappointed, there's relatively few traversal skills unlocked throughout the game, and the important ones are unlocked somewhat quickly. Most of the fun is in the exploration, the combat and platforming. And the difficulty, especially in the optional areas, courtesy of some really responsive controls that allow the game to get away with being demanding.

Mostly I just want to discuss the lore now, which, true to its Dark Souls inspiration, is mostly just implied throughout, rarely stated outright. And some parts of it are currently obsessing me. Like, what are the crimes that the Moth tribe/the Seer committed, for which the Seer is still making penance?

And also, want a chance to brag about the fact that I defeated Nightmare King Grimm :p
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.