Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best/Craziest Openings  (Read 3446 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Best/Craziest Openings
« on: March 10, 2018, 03:16:13 pm »
+3

Dominion has come a long way since the Mountebank/Chapel days, what with Events, Shelters, Heirlooms, Baker etc. Here's some of the things you can do now:

-Open Platinum, with 4 Coppers and a Cursed Gold and Baker and Borrow.

-Activate Magic Lamp on turn 1, with 4 Heirlooms and a Copper and Villa.

-Gain a Mercenary before your first shuffle, by paying $8 (using any subset of the things from the Platinum opening) for a Traveling Fair and 2 topdecked Urchins.

-A bit more mundane than the others, but still really good: Summon Ambassador on turn 1, removing 2 dead cards and giving your opponent one before the first shuffle.

I doubt we'll reach agreement on what the very best opening of all is, but what are some of the craziest openings you can think of?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Best/Craziest Openings
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 03:42:49 pm »
+4

Curse/Curse is a pretty crazy opening.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 05:10:12 pm »
+2

I opened potion/scrying pool in a mission+alms game the other day, that was pretty sweet.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 05:59:53 pm »

I opened potion/scrying pool in a mission+alms game the other day, that was pretty sweet.

Maybe it's the beer, but I just can't work out how to do that. Alms can't gain SP because of the potion cost, and though you could open P/Miss then have 2P to spend, you can't buy on Mission.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:02:40 pm »
+7

Maybe it's the beer, but I just can't work out how to do that. Alms can't gain SP because of the potion cost, and though you could open P/Miss then have 2P to spend, you can't buy on Mission.

Open Mission and Alms for Potion turn 1. Draw Potion with 2 Copper turn 2 and buy Scrying Pool

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 11:32:03 pm »
+5

One that I had awhile back:

T1: ferry on grand market
T2: alms for grand market

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 09:32:25 am »
+9

Never actually seen this, but it would be pretty amazing:
T1 Inheritance (e.g. with Cursed Gold + 4 Copper), inherit Tournament
T2 Play 3 Tournaments, drawing Coppers, buy Province.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 01:07:35 pm »

T1 1 cursed gold 4 copper baker token buy borrow buy platinum gain curse
T2 -1 card 2 copper 2 estate buy donate trash everything except for platinum take 6 debt
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:09:40 pm by Chase Adolphson »
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

benedettosoxfan

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 01:22:09 pm »
+3

One thing I've been wondering is what is the best classic 2 card opening these days? No events, no baker or borrow shenanigans, no heirlooms, just the best pure simple 3/4 or 5/2 card combination to open with. I remember getting absolutely annihilated when my opponent opened 5/2 with cultist and lurker. I think I had all the ruins by turn 6. Lurker is basically 3 cards, 1 action by trashing cultists from the supply, and then gives you the option of super lab or gaining another cultist. I don't know if that's the best classic opening, but it's definitely the best I've been on the wrong end of.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 02:15:38 pm »

One thing I've been wondering is what is the best classic 2 card opening these days? No events, no baker or borrow shenanigans, no heirlooms, just the best pure simple 3/4 or 5/2 card combination to open with.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18272.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 03:06:35 pm »

One thing I've been wondering is what is the best classic 2 card opening these days? No events, no baker or borrow shenanigans, no heirlooms, just the best pure simple 3/4 or 5/2 card combination to open with.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18272.0

I think he was asking what specific cards are the best for 3/4 or 2/5, not which one is better.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 03:44:11 pm »

Open Mission and Alms for Potion turn 1. Draw Potion with 2 Copper turn 2 and buy Scrying Pool

Aaah. Yeah I was just being a bit slow on the uptake.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 05:56:31 pm »

One thing I've been wondering is what is the best classic 2 card opening these days? No events, no baker or borrow shenanigans, no heirlooms, just the best pure simple 3/4 or 5/2 card combination to open with. I remember getting absolutely annihilated when my opponent opened 5/2 with cultist and lurker. I think I had all the ruins by turn 6. Lurker is basically 3 cards, 1 action by trashing cultists from the supply, and then gives you the option of super lab or gaining another cultist. I don't know if that's the best classic opening, but it's definitely the best I've been on the wrong end of.

Capital/chapel harbinger/potion

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 07:04:26 am »
+2

Mint/Fool's Gold
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 11:52:41 am »

Back to the crazy(ish) openings, I did remake/port the other day using borrow.  That was cool cuz remake is just good, and then I also had a couple 4s to remake into 5s.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:19 pm »
+2

Craziest opening is also a closing:
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 04:57:25 pm »

The best thing has got to be X/Donate. I'm taking suggestions of what the best X to go with that would be.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 07:29:32 pm »
+1

The best thing has got to be X/Donate. I'm taking suggestions of what the best X to go with that would be.

No events, tho. Best opening kingdom cards only is hard. Lurker/Cultist is arguably better than Mount/chapel. I don't think I met either actually, and I don't wish to.. I got to open Doctor/Black Market on 5/2 and that made my biggest win against a competent opponent as far I can remember. Jesus, when I got KC out of the BM-deck I felt a little embarrassed almost..
S

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 09:42:16 pm »

If there's baker prince moat and pooka, and you get the 7/2, you get a prince and a moat, and then if you get both if them on turn three, then you get a starting hand size of 7 every turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.