Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What should Dominion do next?  (Read 8809 times)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
Re: What should Dominion do next?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 07:45:39 pm »
+3

pacatak

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 01:34:41 pm »

i love revisiting mechanics like duration, ruins, events, and landmarks.  Even if he didn't introduce new mechanics, i would enjoy a set that just explores old mechanics further.

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 09:16:36 am »

I know I'm probably in the minority (or maybe I AM the minority), but I'd like a small expansion to complement Alchemy, and yes, I want it to include at least two cards that deal Embargo tokens (I'm sure there are more good uses for these tokens) and one more Traveler.

Rather, just do away with Alchemy as we know it, and make the 2nd ed. version of it a box called "Alchemy & Mysticism" or whatever, containing about 25 kingdom cards (11 of the original 12 Alchemy cards, just remove Possession, and 13-15 new ones). Some of the hate expressed towards Alchemy that I've heard, is that the expansion is so small it's almost impossible to get two or more different cards with Potion in it's cost when using a fully random method of picking a kingdom. Most of them aren't powerful enough to justify buying a Potion by themselves, luckily. I do believe this will help Alchemy immensely, and those who don't like the concept of Potions at all can just ignore it, just like today.

Remember that not all the new cards need to have Potion in it's cost (the Embargo token ones probably shouldn't), but I'd like some more cards that care about such cards or Potion itself, and as long as the new cards are never marketed and sold as a seperate expansion, this will not be a problem for those who only want the new cards. Just make a new Update Pack that states that you need Alchemy to play.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 09:42:30 am »
+2

Some of the hate expressed towards Alchemy that I've heard, is that the expansion is so small it's almost impossible to get two or more different cards with Potion in it's cost when using a fully random method of picking a kingdom. Most of them aren't powerful enough to justify buying a Potion by themselves, luckily.

Um, yes they are. Only Transmute and Philosopher's Stone aren't.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 10:06:25 am »

Some of the hate expressed towards Alchemy that I've heard, is that the expansion is so small it's almost impossible to get two or more different cards with Potion in it's cost when using a fully random method of picking a kingdom. Most of them aren't powerful enough to justify buying a Potion by themselves, luckily.

Um, yes they are. Only Transmute and Philosopher's Stone aren't.

True. I'll modify my claim to: "most of them aren't overpowered enough to dominate boards by themselves, luckily".

I meant that the need for an added currency could potentially make them way too powerful, but I don't think they are. I think they are mostly relevant, but not entirely game-changing seperately, which, I think, is a great thing.

I'm sure DXV could make some more cards with Potion in it's cost to create an even better balance, and hopefully, this will make Alchemy more palatable for a lot of people who don't like it in it's current format. I really like the set, but Possession probably needs to go.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 10:30:37 am »

I really like the set, but Possession probably needs to go.

I agree, Possession is a disaster but the set is not that bad otherwise. I used to hate it but I can appreciate it more lately.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 10:33:14 am »
+1

I would like to see more cards that penalise the active player. What I haven't seen much is "trash a $3+ card" with a benefit other than gaining a better card. I am thinking about cards effects like: "+1 Action, +1 Card. Trash a card from your hand costing at least $4. If you do that, +2 Cards" or the hail mary version "+Action, +3 Cards. Trash a card from your hand costing at least $4". More cards like Count.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 10:35:27 am »
+4

I would like to see more cards that penalise the active player. What I haven't seen much is "trash a $3+ card" with a benefit other than gaining a better card. I am thinking about cards effects like: "+1 Action, +1 Card. Trash a card from your hand costing at least $4. If you do that, +2 Cards" or the hail mary version "+Action, +3 Cards. Trash a card from your hand costing at least $4". More cards like Count.

Apprentice?
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 10:41:49 am »

Yes, a swingier and cheaper version.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 11:21:54 am »
+7

So... Zombie Apprentice?

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 08:20:00 am »
+1

More cards called "Squirt".

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 01:06:33 pm »
+1

Or Smith themed... Silversmith, Goldsmith, Platinum Smith, Potion Smith, Heirloom Smith, Platinum Smith, All Other Treasures Smith

Smithsmith
Action - $4

For each Smithsmith you have in play, +1 Card
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 02:52:02 pm »

I quite like the Reserve mechanic and permanent Duration cards. If done the right way and with moderation, they give you a mild board presence which adds something, while overturning neither what Dominion is, nor—maybe more importantly—what Dominion isn't.

The famous quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupery springs to mind: "A designer knows [they have] achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." — Don't go crazy, show some Reserve-ation, but explore this space a little more.

Of course, phrasing the new batch of Reserve cards is tricky: either you print a second set of Tavern mats, or you don't reference it, or you do and explain in the new rulebook that you can just pretend to have a mat somehow, or... something.

There's already a mechanism for abnormal discard timing, and that's duration. Maybe you could do something like

Duration Coin
Treasure — Duration
Cost: $2
+$1

Directly after resolving an Action, you may get +2 Actions if you haven't done so already.

Once you take your +2 actions, Duration Coin has nothing left to do and will be discarded in your next clean-up phase. One difference is that it'll be in play rather than on a mat until you "call" it. It feels rather clunky, but I think it recaptures the reserve mechanic while neither (a) needing a Tavern mat; nor (b) jumping through completely horrendous hoops to avoid needing a Tavern mat.

Idol kinda' reintroduced the journey token, except the set of cards which shared the new journey token is {Idol} and it resets every turn. More of that could probably work fine. Meh, it's a thing you can do, not something that super excites me.

Events are cool, one could easily do more of those.

Replacement starting cards is a cool idea, one could... uh, i dunno. "In games using X, each player adds one Y to their starting deck", that does not sound great. Introduce more Heirlooms and use randomizer draw order to tie-break which ones work and which ones don't. That would introduce the unlikely possibility of having heirloomers without their heirlooms, which is... ok I guess?

TL;DR: Reserve, permanent or long Duration effects, events. Do Adventures again, basically ;D

Edit: Oh, also, I enjoyed the modal cards from Intrigue. That can easily redone, see for example Wild Hunt :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:14:15 pm by jonaskoelker »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 03:27:46 pm »

Unadventurer
Cost: $0
Types: Action
Choose one:
+$P, or
Put an Embargo token on any supply pile (This has no effect unless Embargo is in the kingdom), or
This card stays in play.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.