Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What should Dominion do next?  (Read 8814 times)

Rococo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
What should Dominion do next?
« on: March 10, 2018, 10:25:42 am »
+3

Sets often take something that have been done a little and really focus on it, like Dark Ages and trashing, Empires and Victory tokens, Nocturne and bringing in extra piles for example. Just out of curiosity, what previously done Dominion mechanic do you hope they focus on next?

I'd like to see coin tokens or cards that give opponent a bonus when you buy or play them.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
Re: What should Dominion do next?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:48:02 am »
+7

More animals!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:49:56 am »
+18

The thing I'd most like to see a greater focus on is bald people. Guilds had a small baldness sub-theme, but I think it would take a full-size set to fully explore what the mechanic has to offer.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:45:25 am »
+2

Pirate Ship coin tokens basically got a new mechanic and a bunch of cards that use it in Guilds. I feel sorry for Embargo tokens that still just have only one card that uses them. I thought about how maybe 'curse tokens' would be interesting as a mechanic - you curse your opponent and in general they can't trash it because it's a token, but at the same time it doesn't slow them down like curse cards do. Then I realized that you could just give yourself a victory token instead and it's the same net effect. Oh well.

One of the cardinal rules of Dominion appears to be: two cards with the same name have the same effect. E.g. the cards in the Ruins or Knights pile have different effects, and different names to go with it. Maybe that rule could be played with. For example you could replace the curses pile with a pile of new cards all called 'curse', but which have a small variety of slightly different effects, e.g.: "-1VP" (vanilla curse); "0VP, when you gain this discard a card"; "0VP, when you trash this gain a curse" (since there's variety in the curse pile it's not like you'd never be able to get rid of them).

Don't know why I have curses on the brain. Since buying Adventures, Dominion IRL appears to have gotten 'faster', and some way of extending the game length would be nice so you have more time to enjoy the deck you built. I guess Prosperity achieves this by giving you more powerful victory cards so that you often have to build for longer to reach them; it would be nice to see if there's some other mechanic that could lengthen the game time, without e.g. just resorting to more powerful attacks.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:22:28 pm »
+2

I think with all these new cool expansions, base treasures are starting to be a little bit boring.
It would be nice to have more cards that cares about copper, silver or gold (like Explorer, Coppersmith, Noble Brigand or a few landmarks) or more cards that works like Black Market or Storyteller : you pay treasures during your action phase to get cool things. As engine players, we got the reflex to want to draw action first, and treasures at the very end. These kind of cards make having silver at the start of the turn a benefit rather than a painful "dead" card in hand.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 01:26:24 pm »
+2

The next expansion will be Scout themed. It will include such game-changing cards as Scoutsmith, Scouting Village, Scout Market, Scout Witch, Royal Scout, Treasure Scout and Ruined Scout.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »
+3

Ruined Scout.

How can they tell the difference?

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:33:35 pm by Cave-o-sapien »

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
Gender happened.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 11:09:14 pm »
+2

Cards that give you benefits for doing physical exercise.

"+1 Card, +1 Action. You may do 15 jumping jacks, for +1 Card."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:48 pm »
+6

Aha! The long-awaited promo card with a Hanabi theme!

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 04:04:02 am »
+1

"Turn over a sand timer. If it is empty before your next turn, then at the start of that turn +1 card."

Ruined Scout.

Strictly than Ruined Village!

There are probably some rare cases where this is more useful than ruined village.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:05:22 am by greybirdofprey »

Shvegait

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 09:04:51 am »
+2

"Turn over a sand timer. If it is empty before your next turn, then at the start of that turn +1 card."

Ruined Scout.

Strictly than Ruined Village!

There are probably some rare cases where this is more useful than ruined village.

1) If you already know the identity of at least one of the 4 cards (its exact position), you could change its position
For example, this card could give some benefit with Wishing Well. If one wish fails, you can play Blind Scout, and move the top card to the second-from-top position, then your next Wishing Well could hit guaranteed.
2) If you want to trigger a reshuffle.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 05:19:56 am »

I think with all these new cool expansions, base treasures are starting to be a little bit boring.
It would be nice to have more cards that cares about copper, silver or gold (like Explorer, Coppersmith, Noble Brigand or a few landmarks) or more cards that works like Black Market or Storyteller : you pay treasures during your action phase to get cool things. As engine players, we got the reflex to want to draw action first, and treasures at the very end. These kind of cards make having silver at the start of the turn a benefit rather than a painful "dead" card in hand.
Not so sure. At least Empires was fairly Treasure-focused: Encampment and Legionary want Gold, Conquest wants Silver and Catapult doesn't mind extra Silvers in your deck.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 11:43:54 am »
+2

I had a dream about this last night.

My "Dream idea" was:

"Tournament Dominon"

There were cards that you could buy that were something like Heirlooms. You bought them in "game 1" and then they started in your deck in "game 2" against the same opponent.

Stuff like this:

$8 Ongoing Silver
Worth $2
____
Replaces a starting copper in your next game
Type: Treasure / Ongoing

-=-=-=-
$6 Ongoing Necropolis
+2 actions
_____
Replaces a starting Estate or Shelter in your next game
Type: Shelter / Ongoing

-=-=-=-

You could imagine lots of variations. Cards that are bad this game, but good the next. Or good this game, but bad in the next (but only if there is another game happening). Cards that stick around multiple games (not just next game). Cards that shift VP from one game to another, etc.

Obviously very different than anything Dominion has done before, could easily be game breaking (lets people who are killing it in a game, get a leg up next game - almost the opposite you would want to happen), and doesn't fit for casual players who will only be playing one game, and what do you do about resigns? Ideally you would want to buy these near the end when you are already ahead.

So likely one of those dreams that will not come true....

Ed

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 12:19:42 pm »
+1

There were cards that you could buy that were something like Heirlooms. You bought them in "game 1" and then they started in your deck in "game 2" against the same opponent.

I don't like the idea of unbalancing the players.  but if the change was global and fair, I would be happy to try and see how it went.

---

A completely new thing (sorry OP) I'd be interested in is better balance between going first and second.
In go, the player that goes second gets (specifics depend on the ruleset) 6.5 additional points as a handicap, which evens out the victories and eliminates ties.
Is there some interesting bonus to make the two positions more equal?

---

An "old" thing I'd like to revisit is "variety matters".  I love the variety cards in cornucopia, and was thrilled to see conclave and imp in nocturne.

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 12:22:43 pm »

Dominion Legacy! That might be pretty cool. Although some of the fun of Legacy games is that you don't know what's coming next.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:30 pm »
+3

Dominion Legacy! That might be pretty cool. Although some of the fun of Legacy games is that you don't know what's coming next.

Your Dominion Enlarges
Types: Event
Cost: $10 and 2 VP tokens

Open Box C.  Perform the instructions on the card inside, then destroy this card.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 04:12:26 pm »
+2

Turning that on its head (and I do notice this is rapidly veering into variant/fan territory rather than general discussion), one of Reiner Knizia's signature game elements is what I'll loosely call "eras": you play the game a bit, then some proportion of the game state is swept away while other parts survive into the subsequent era.

So instead of having something survive between games, there could be something which happens in the middle of a game and resets a bunch of stuff.

As a random example intended more to show what I mean than to actually play well: have a pile which, when selected, has you pick an extra pile that you stack underneath it like an Empires split pile. When, after someone's turn, the top half the pile is gone, immediately everyone may set aside as much of their deck as they like until game-end scoring, gains 7 more Coppers, shuffles, draws 5.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 04:38:08 pm »

As a random example intended more to show what I mean than to actually play well: have a pile which, when selected, has you pick an extra pile that you stack underneath it like an Empires split pile. When, after someone's turn, the top half the pile is gone, immediately everyone may set aside as much of their deck as they like until game-end scoring, gains 7 more Coppers, shuffles, draws 5.

I hate that example. But I like how you think.

The players should have some level of control, so that one person doesn't suddenly get first dibs at a premo pile.
I dunno, some trigger that you can work towards, like first person to play 7 actions in a turn.

But honestly, just more split piles would be nice.  It's a very simple execution and still adds an interesting pile management element to the game.

---

More mini-quests, like leprechaun and magic lamp, would be nice too.
More travelers would be great, especially if they have fewer steps, because then they could be more modestly powerful, and not so game warping.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 05:14:03 pm »

Turning that on its head (and I do notice this is rapidly veering into variant/fan territory rather than general discussion), one of Reiner Knizia's signature game elements is what I'll loosely call "eras": you play the game a bit, then some proportion of the game state is swept away while other parts survive into the subsequent era.

So instead of having something survive between games, there could be something which happens in the middle of a game and resets a bunch of stuff.

This isn't that crazy when you consider what Dominion has done in the past few expansions. Tokens, Landmarks and Boons and Hexes all feel like they introduce "traditional Euro" game mechanics that would have once seemed very out of place in Dominion.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 02:52:28 am »

Pirate Ship coin tokens basically got a new mechanic and a bunch of cards that use it in Guilds. I feel sorry for Embargo tokens that still just have only one card that uses them. I thought about how maybe 'curse tokens' would be interesting as a mechanic - you curse your opponent and in general they can't trash it because it's a token, but at the same time it doesn't slow them down like curse cards do. Then I realized that you could just give yourself a victory token instead and it's the same net effect. Oh well.
Don't be too sure... I knew a couple of gamers who were turned off that Seaside didn't come with starter/foundation cards, but then wanted it hearing it comes with METAL tokens
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 03:02:30 am »
+1

Rares and uncommon  cards ;)

Also, foil cards.  Those were fun to collect, even if I only did so briefly.

The next expansion will be Scout themed. It will include such game-changing cards as Scoutsmith, Scouting Village, Scout Market, Scout Witch, Royal Scout, Treasure Scout and Ruined Scout.

Or young themed... Young Nobles, Young Scout, Young Necromancer, Young Peddler, Young Vassal, Young Duchess, Young Knights

Or Grand themed.... Grand Island, Grand Monument, Grand Garden, Grand Vineyard

Or Smith themed... Silversmith, Goldsmith, Platinum Smith, Potion Smith, Heirloom Smith, Platinum Smith, All Other Treasures Smith

Rhymes... Cats!, Bats!, Mats!, Lats!, Gnats!, Brats!, Pats!, Tats!, Chats!

More Rhymes... Boat, Coat, Note, Oat, Quote, Tote, Vote
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 07:43:23 am »

Sounds a bit like Donate
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 10:49:59 am »
+1

Young Scout

I can only imagine the powerful glory of this card
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 20 queries.