Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Fix the worst cards  (Read 47922 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Fix the worst cards
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2018, 02:00:05 am »
+1

But seriously, I have no doubt that some players are just so enthralled with Dominion that they put up with the nitpicking, the endless meta-discussion, and the board's unhealthy obsession with becoming a "good player". That is much more a testament to how good Dominion is than how welcoming the board is to people who do not conform.

If you don't want to become a good player, there are plenty of discussion boards online where you can discuss Dominion without getting better at it, such as reddit and BGG.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +293
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2018, 02:18:25 am »

Fun thread exercise! 

For those worried that fixing the bottom ranked cards will now create a new bottom ranked cards ... it doesn't have to be a perpetual cycle.  We're just worried "adding points" to the bottom rank to improve them.   It's OK to have a new bottom ranked cards  since they were previously NOT in the bottom ranked cards hence, were decent to begin with.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2018, 02:31:45 am »
+6

But seriously, I have no doubt that some players are just so enthralled with Dominion that they put up with the nitpicking, the endless meta-discussion, and the board's unhealthy obsession with becoming a "good player". That is much more a testament to how good Dominion is than how welcoming the board is to people who do not conform.

If you don't want to become a good player, there are plenty of discussion boards online where you can discuss Dominion without getting better at it, such as reddit and BGG.

Man, I'm disappointed that you didn't include f.ds in that list. Like, there was the thread about Dominion memes. There was a thread about Card Alchemy where people were just doing wacky wordplay. These were all in Dominion General, which, you know, sounds like the place to talk about general things. (This is in Dominion general too FWIW.)

To be blunt, this is the point where I be that guy, and say that f.ds is not just what you think it should be, it is the amalgam of what everyone who posts there think it should be. Consider this as a signal of "your point is noted but I disagree that f.ds should only be for people who are trying to get better at Dominion."

Sure, the Dominion subreddit has a lot of Dominion storage posts, but looking at the front page right now, it has a thread about what to do on boards with no trashing, a thread asking how long it takes to get good at the game, the weekly Kingdom of the Week, and if you scroll down a bit there's a thread asking about whether Goons is as ridiculous as it feels like it is.

The way I see it, you go to f.ds for the memes and to read articles comparing engines to phase diagrams. You go to Reddit to read about the Nth storage solution and people asking what expansion to buy. You go to Discord to play Pokedominion and to make fun of Seprix. As for actual Dominion strategy advice, you do that wherever you want to - there are enough good players overlapping all of them that you're sure to get somebody to tell you something reasonable. (Well, except for BGG - last I checked, it was too inactive for people to bother visiting there much.)

I feel the primary thing is that Dominion was super big before and is less big now because several people have moved on. Sure, people still watch for new expansions, but unless told otherwise, I would assume that the number of players has been holding steady or slightly dropping over time. (Where # of players is including people who only play IRL, but we need sales figures for that, and I assume they can't be publicized.) There's just less to talk about for the enfranchised people. That's why there's always a big burst of activity when new expansions drop - suddenly there's a big pile of stuff that everybody wants to talk about.

An expansion is coming out at some point, and I got to play with the cards a few times, and oh man, they're pretty neat and Dominion is still a pretty cool game. I feel like that's the most important thing.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2018, 06:50:59 am »
+1

No idea about what is helpful to newbies. But non proof-read posts about HoPs, Provs, Plats, Pools and Pots certainly aren't.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2018, 10:17:34 am »
+2

Consider this as a signal of "your point is noted but I disagree that f.ds should only be for people who are trying to get better at Dominion."
Even amongst people who do want to get better at Dominion, for most of us the game is a light-hearted hobby.

I started logging plays a couple of years back, and disregard online plays. I've played 247 different games. On the one hand, Dominion is my most-played game; on the other, that's still less than 5% of all my game playing.

Yes, I'd like to get better at Dominion. No, I don't want to devote a huge amount of time to that, let alone devote any non-fun time. No, I don't care about rankings, or winning tournaments, or any of that guff.

I suspect that in this respect I'm a more normal person than Awaclus.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2018, 11:40:14 am »

I suspect that in this respect I'm a more normal person than Awaclus.

Well, definitely. That's how it works; if you want to do cool things that normal people don't get to do, you have to be willing to do uncool things that normal people aren't willing to do. As far as Dominion is concerned, the rewards are not super impressive (yay I got to represent my country in an unofficial world cup), but neither is the amount of effort that it takes — just play like 20 games every day and you'll become a top player within a year. You can probably get away with even less work if you dedicate all of it specifically to learning, as opposed to just reinforcing the skills you already have.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:41:58 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2018, 11:58:24 am »

Fun thread exercise! 

For those worried that fixing the bottom ranked cards will now create a new bottom ranked cards ... it doesn't have to be a perpetual cycle.  We're just worried "adding points" to the bottom rank to improve them.   It's OK to have a new bottom ranked cards  since they were previously NOT in the bottom ranked cards hence, were decent to begin with.

Agreed. It's narrowing the gap between the top and bottom. Sure, this card may have some cool niche uses, but it's still bad in 90-93% of games.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »
+2

the rewards are not super impressive [...] but neither is the amount of effort that it takes — just play like 20 games every day and you'll become a top player within a year.
Uh... at 10 minutes a game, that's 200 minutes a day, three hours, 20% of your waking life, half your leisure time.

So no.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2018, 01:41:28 pm »

the rewards are not super impressive [...] but neither is the amount of effort that it takes — just play like 20 games every day and you'll become a top player within a year.
Uh... at 10 minutes a game, that's 200 minutes a day, three hours, 20% of your waking life, half your leisure time.

So no.

Dude, what? Three hours a day for a year is nothing. For most hobbies, if you do it for three hours a day for a year, you'll still suck at it compared to the average person doing it (who ever gets anywhere).

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2018, 02:29:24 pm »

So no.

Dude, what? Three hours a day for a year is nothing. For most hobbies, if you do it for three hours a day for a year, you'll still suck at it compared to the average person doing it (who ever gets anywhere).

I'd be very surprised if the average player finishes more than 20 Dominion games a week.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2018, 02:32:38 pm »
+2

So no.

I'd be very surprised if the average player finishes more than 20 Dominion games a week.

Hence why they're not a top player .. they're likely average

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2018, 03:02:59 pm »

So no.

Well, playing more doesn't necessarily mean you are a top player or are improving.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2018, 03:43:16 pm »
+5

So no.

Well, playing more doesn't necessarily mean you are a top player or are improving.

Exhibit A: Lord Rattington.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2018, 04:39:19 pm »

I do think that it at least necessarily means the latter, but definitely the more you do the things you're already comfortable with, the less you improve.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2018, 03:01:55 pm »

I do think that it at least necessarily means the latter, but definitely the more you do the things you're already comfortable with, the less you improve.

I guess you can be more precise and say that simply playing more has varying impact on how fast one improves.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.