Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pathological Donate Questions  (Read 4279 times)

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
Pathological Donate Questions
« on: March 07, 2018, 08:47:42 am »
+14

During a Donate phase, I trash a Catacombs, gaining a Blessed Village.  I choose to receive the Boon now (after seeing it).
  • It's Wind's Gift, and I discard and react a Faithful Hound.  Do I ever get the Hound back?  (I suspect the answer is no.  This also applies to other methods of discarding Hound during Donate.)
  • It's Forest's Gift, Field's Gift, or River's Gift.  Does it ever get returned?  And, in the case of River's Gift, do I ever get the effect?  (I suspect the Boon gets returned at the next Cleanup phase, and I never get the River's Gift effect.)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Pathological Donate Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 11:01:50 am »

Do I ever get the Hound back? (I suspect the answer is no.)
My guess: yes, the next time anyone ends a turn. (Clutching at straws and picking nits, it says "at end of turn" not "at the end of this turn".)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 04:51:06 pm »
+6

During a Donate phase, I trash a Catacombs, gaining a Blessed Village.  I choose to receive the Boon now (after seeing it).
  • It's Wind's Gift, and I discard and react a Faithful Hound.  Do I ever get the Hound back?  (I suspect the answer is no.  This also applies to other methods of discarding Hound during Donate.)
  • It's Forest's Gift, Field's Gift, or River's Gift.  Does it ever get returned?  And, in the case of River's Gift, do I ever get the effect?  (I suspect the Boon gets returned at the next Cleanup phase, and I never get the River's Gift effect.)
You get Faithful Hound back the next time it's the end of a turn.

You return the Boons the next time it's Clean-up (not necessarily yours). You never get the card for The River's Gift.

humcalc216

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 05:11:37 pm »
+1

You return the Boons the next time it's Clean-up (not necessarily yours). You never get the card for The River's Gift.
Just did some testing online.  Game #12365106 shows that the online implementation is correct for Faithful Found.  The Boons get returned at the wrong time, though.  And, in solo mode, I did get a card for River's Gift (after the turn following Donate), but this did not happen against Lord Rattington.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 06:35:09 pm »
+2

Just did some testing online.  Game #12365106 shows that the online implementation is correct for Faithful Found.  The Boons get returned at the wrong time, though.  And, in solo mode, I did get a card for River's Gift (after the turn following Donate), but this did not happen against Lord Rattington.
As usual, I strongly recommend not reporting any such bugs.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:48:18 pm »

How do you play a solo game on Dominion Online? I wasn't aware that this functionality existed. (Though Lord Rattington comes close!)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:50:11 pm »
+3

How do you play a solo game on Dominion Online? I wasn't aware that this functionality existed. (Though Lord Rattington comes close!)

Min players = 1
Max players = 1

humcalc216

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 07:20:48 pm »

And I was not planning to.  I only reported the test results here because your official response came in after I had already started testing it.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 03:24:58 am »
+3

Too late, I read here as well  ;)

Added:
In addition, finding problems is often team work. In this case, after verifying the original claim, I tested how the 'Keep this unitl Clean-Up' boons behaved when gained on opponent's turn. Guess what, they also don't return to the boon deck at the end of that turn, but incorrectly at the end of your (the gainer's) turn. So the problem is less obscure than previously known.

If humcalc216 hadn't posted, I would never have checked that scenario. I'm pretty sure that I checked boons working when gained on opponent's turn during testing, but I didn't check the time when the 3 'keep out' boons returned. I guess this problem will have executed a few times online, but never realized by a player, because it is such a small deviation. I mean, who's keeping an eye out on the boon deck split, except maybe checking when a reshuffle is imminent.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:41:39 pm by Ingix »

humcalc216

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 08:06:16 pm »

Added:
In addition, finding problems is often team work. In this case, after verifying the original claim, I tested how the 'Keep this unitl Clean-Up' boons behaved when gained on opponent's turn. Guess what, they also don't return to the boon deck at the end of that turn, but incorrectly at the end of your (the gainer's) turn. So the problem is less obscure than previously known.

If humcalc216 hadn't posted, I would never have checked that scenario. I'm pretty sure that I checked boons working when gained on opponent's turn during testing, but I didn't check the time when the 3 'keep out' boons returned. I guess this problem will have executed a few times online, but never realized by a player, because it is such a small deviation. I mean, who's keeping an eye out on the boon deck split, except maybe checking when a reshuffle is imminent.
I'm glad my debugging skills came in handy!

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 04:29:19 am »
+1

Added:

Yeah, I'm not complaining about asking the rules question here, and it's great if it led to finding another problem. I'm saying, don't report it to ShuffleiT, because they are *busy*.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.