Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Watchtower + Gain to hand  (Read 1447 times)

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
Watchtower + Gain to hand
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:20:44 pm »
+1

In an online game, I played Artisan, gaining a Watchtower.   I then had the option of reacting to the gained Watchtower, with the gained Watchtower.  Is this behavior correct?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtower + Gain to hand
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:25:32 pm »
+1

This sounds correct. Revealing a Watchtower is something you do after you have done the actual gain. The game doesn’t know any difference between a Watchtower that was in your hand before and one that you just now put in your hand.

I’m mostly sure that Lose Track doesn’t cause any issues here either. Because the gain was directly to hand, in your hand is where the card is expected to be, so it hasn’t moved from its default position. So you should be able to successfully top-deck or trash that Watchtower.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:18:58 pm »

I suspected it was probably correct.  My main concern is whether the "when gain" period is still in effect once the Watchtower is in my hand.  Now that I'm writing this thought down, it feels obvious that it is.  I guess it's kind of like the Cultist/Market Square interaction.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 05:32:45 pm »
+1

In an online game, I played Artisan, gaining a Watchtower.   I then had the option of reacting to the gained Watchtower, with the gained Watchtower.  Is this behavior correct?
Yes.

cascadestyler

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: cascadestyler
  • Vamos Cuidadanos!
  • Respect: +149
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 03:27:10 am »

Could one Artisan-gain a Trader then Trader-switch that Trader for a Silver? Sounds silly, but the Silver would then be in one's discard pile, whereas, had one gained Silver directly with Artisan, it would be in one's hand. That could be preferable.
"You can't help people being right for the wrong reasons...This fear of finding oneself in bad company is not an expression of political purity; it is an expression of a lack of self-confidence."

- Arthur Koestler

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4442
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:50:17 am »
+5

Could one Artisan-gain a Trader then Trader-switch that Trader for a Silver? Sounds silly, but the Silver would then be in one's discard pile, whereas, had one gained Silver directly with Artisan, it would be in one's hand. That could be preferable.

No, you have to reveal Trader before gaining the card you're trading. This is different from the timing of Watchtower.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.