Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Dominion:Cities  (Read 23238 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion:Cities
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2018, 10:02:06 am »
+1

But I got those generals early game. I was also able to buy four colonies in one turn. And I beat my opponent by far. My opponent was the one who bought silver gold and provinces while I bought my cards. You should play that game that I posted and you will see what I mean. Of you open cursed coin/chapel that is very good, which is what I did. Cursed coin was how I was getting platinums on turns 5/6. I don't know how I could've won without those four generals that I was able to buy. I got a lot of provinces from them and they helped a lot with my engine. I love cursed coin! That card probably won the game for me, because I wouldn't have been able to get those platinums so then I wouldn't be able to get the generals. Kings crown is awesome. I used them for 2 cards 2 actions but they still counted for bank. With my crazy engines, bank was able to produce 20 a lot of times.

This sounds like a case of the stars aligning just right, though. You got an extremely lucky 5/2 opening and were able to get the second strongest trasher in the game and a very strong treasure which is literally the very cheapest of all of your cards. Also, your opponent was forced into a very weak strategy on this particular board since the only cheap card was Chapel. Basically, he could buy nothing but treasures and Bazaars, which is of course going to be slow, especially if he got 3/4.

I would suggest testing your cards on a board where there are also a lot of decent cheap cards. Just curious, was this board created at random or did you deliberately design it so that your cards would be useful?

I actually played this exact game a second time, and I got generals really early as well, and I got the 3/4 split the second time. On turn 3 I got a cursed coin and then I trashed all of my cards with chapel except for the chapel the silver and the cursed coin. Then I used the cursed coin and the silver to buy more cursed coins cursed stores which were very valuable since they were the only card that gave +buy and then I bought banks platinums generals a few golden towns and kings crowns which helped my engine a lot. It even could help my engine and help bank at the same time. Those curses make it a lot easier to get high costing cards fast. The only problem was I didn't want to trash my cursed stores since they were the only card that gave +buy and I was getting 30 every turn.

I recommend trying the same thing, but the other player starts the same way as you; Cursed Coin, Chapel, Trash into Platinum... but then the other player buys Colony anytime they get $11.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2018, 04:20:33 am »

The main reason for the $20+ cards is that lots of times when I'm playing with my parents we always have $20+ but no extra buy. So I wanted to make that less frustrating.

I may have a helpful addition to your set:

Decadence
4$
Action – Attack - Reaction

+1 Card
+1 Action
+2 Buys
---------------------------------
If another player has 3$ or more coins
unspent in their buy phase,
you may reveal this from your hand.
If you do, they either gain a card with + buy
from the supply or trash a treasure they
have in play, their choice.

Why would you reveal it because if you do you are just helping them
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2018, 04:46:12 am »

It was meant to be a joke.  ::)

As people have already pointed out ad nauseam, if you build your deck such that you regularly hit $20 in Kingdoms without extra Buys you are greening far too late. The notion that the net benefit of extra Coins beyond the ones you actually spend is zero shouldn't be that difficult to understand. But it seemingly is, otherwise you wouldn't design ridiculously priced cards but simply green when you hit $11+ in Colony games and thus regularly beat your parents.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2018, 01:15:26 pm »
+2

Let's look at this from another angle: Chase, have you ever played Dominion against someone other than your family? For example, have you tried out Dominion online? If not, I definitely recommend you do. It should help you put your strategies in a broader perspective. And even if you lose, you'll learn some new tricks to impress your family with.  :)

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2018, 07:44:43 pm »

Let's look at this from another angle: Chase, have you ever played Dominion against someone other than your family? For example, have you tried out Dominion online? If not, I definitely recommend you do. It should help you put your strategies in a broader perspective. And even if you lose, you'll learn some new tricks to impress your family with.  :)

I play online all the time

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2018, 04:06:40 am »
+1

I'm afraid I don't know how in this situation I can give you the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Right now it feels like you're either:
A) a troll after all (what a riot)
B) a young guy who is genuinely bad at Dominion and who lies about winning so he won't have to admit that
C) a young guy who made up some bad fan cards and who lies about his experiences implying those were good ideas
D) someone who's intellectually incapable of drawing the right conclusions from the evidence provided, namely that the cards are bad and the strategy mentioned can't compete (edit: and that the strategy being bad implies the cards being bad)
E) both genuinely bad at the game and lucky to an unfathomable degree, enough to make himself believe he won due to a sub-par strategy
F) any combination of the above
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:12:12 am by Asper »

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2018, 04:36:53 pm »
+2

Matchmaking matches you with people of roughly the same skill level, so someone playing online does not mean they will necessarily play good opponents. There are lots of people who understand nothing about Dominion strategy and if you are someone who understands even basic Eurogame strategy, you will never be close to being matched against them.

It is obvious looking at Chase's post history that when his profile says he is 13 years old that this is accurate. I fully believe Chase has games against his parents where he gets to build up to buy his ludicrously expensive custom cards and still wins.

Chase, I enjoyed reading your cards, another great set along the levels of Dominion: Gunpowder.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:38:36 pm by kieranmillar »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2018, 04:48:01 pm »

Matchmaking matches you with people of roughly the same skill level, so someone playing online does not mean they will necessarily play good opponents. There are lots of people who understand nothing about Dominion strategy and if you are someone who understands even basic Eurogame strategy, you will never be close to being matched against them.

It is obvious looking at Chase's post history that when his profile says he is 13 years old that this is accurate. I fully believe Chase has games against his parents where he gets to build up to buy his ludicrously expensive custom cards and still wins.

Chase, I enjoyed reading your cards, another great set along the levels of Dominion: Gunpowder.

I don't think I was around for the (in)famous Gunpowder expansion.  Where do I find that thread? I'd very much like to read it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2018, 05:26:02 pm »

I don't think I was around for the (in)famous Gunpowder expansion.  Where do I find that thread? I'd very much like to read it.

It's easy enough to search within the Variants thread on "Gunpowder". Based on a discussion from a while back; it's really best to not go around linking to that thread.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2018, 05:40:13 pm »
+3

It's easy enough to search within the Variants thread on "Gunpowder". Based on a discussion from a while back; it's really best to not go around linking to that thread.

I mean, the posters in gunpowder were less mocking and less toxic to a legitimate troll than the above posters (who hopefully are capable of realizing who they are) are being to a 13 year old, so I think perhaps that ship has sailed.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2018, 06:23:31 pm »
+8

..Or he is just a randomly good Dominion player that likes power cards and don't care about balance that much because he don't need to in his playgroup.. Chase's cards is cool and all, they just don't work in proper Dominion.

Guys, you have made your points several times. Chase won't pick up on it and he doesn't need to. To even think of comparing this to Gunpowder is just mean honestly.

S

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2018, 08:15:13 pm »
+8

I'm afraid I don't know how in this situation I can give you the benefit of the doubt anymore.

B) a young guy who is genuinely bad at Dominion and who lies about winning so he won't have to admit that
C) a young guy who made up some bad fan cards and who lies about his experiences implying those were good ideas
D) someone who's intellectually incapable of drawing the right conclusions from the evidence provided, namely that the cards are bad and the strategy mentioned can't compete (edit: and that the strategy being bad implies the cards being bad)
E) both genuinely bad at the game and lucky to an unfathomable degree, enough to make himself believe he won due to a sub-par strategy

Whoa this is going way too far. I'm not any of those things I promise. This is my first attempt to make fan cards okay. I've learned how my fan cards can be better with my future fan expansions I am going to think about what you guys have said.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2018, 04:18:31 pm »
+1

Whoa this is going way too far. I'm not any of those things I promise. This is my first attempt to make fan cards okay. I've learned how my fan cards can be better with my future fan expansions I am going to think about what you guys have said.

Sorry, that was malinformed by me. I know too little about how matchmaking in Dominion online works, so I assumed you'd have to be losing all the time over there unless you were lucky. Should have just kept my mouth shut instead of assuming. I'll try to make up for it in the future.  :-\

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2018, 12:18:01 am »
+4

Sorry, that was malinformed by me. I know too little about how matchmaking in Dominion online works, so I assumed you'd have to be losing all the time over there unless you were lucky. Should have just kept my mouth shut instead of assuming. I'll try to make up for it in the future.  :-\

It's fine. I have those days too when i just react right away without thinking.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.