Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Dominion:Cities  (Read 23229 times)

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion:Cities
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2018, 12:47:55 pm »

Country is a victory card as well
Yes but due to its high cost the engine stuff it does is fairly irrelevant and 2 Colonies will most of the time be the wiser choice.

But it's gathering ability will give you even more victory points and it is not a dead card
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2018, 01:06:01 pm »

Yes but due to its high cost the engine stuff it does is fairly irrelevant and 2 Colonies will most of the time be the wiser choice.

But it's gathering ability will give you even more victory points and it is not a dead card
The Action stuff on Country would be (too) strong on a card that you can gain in the middlegame.
But an Action-Victory that costs 28 (note again that this is unavailable in Kingdoms without draw or Peddler variants as 5 Platinums only yields 25) is only bought late in the game and is probably only played once or twice.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2018, 02:12:59 pm »

The Action stuff on Country would be (too) strong on a card that you can gain in the middlegame.
But an Action-Victory that costs 28 (note again that this is unavailable in Kingdoms without draw or Peddler variants as 5 Platinums only yields 25) is only bought late in the game and is probably only played once or twice.

But it's still very valuable

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2018, 02:15:36 pm »

I would probably buy countries villains performers and royal markets and then colonies. I usually build my deck a whole bunch and then buy 4 colonies every turn

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2018, 02:35:57 pm »

But it's still very valuable
If "valuable" means "inferior to Colony and sitting around without ever being bought" you are right.

It isn't really that hard to get: Country is more than double as expensive as Colony and provides only 50% more VPs (in the case of the 4 official pure Victory cards it is the other way around: costs/VPs decreases with increasing cost) plus some Action-y stuff that is nearly irrelevant as the card is bought very late in the game (you don't hit 28 early, let alone in every Colony game).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2018, 07:40:29 pm »
+1

I would probably buy countries villains performers and royal markets and then colonies. I usually build my deck a whole bunch and then buy 4 colonies every turn

Yes, you build your deck a whole bunch and then buy 4 Colonies at once. The problem is, you would lose to players who do not do that. All of your cards are based around the way you play. And that’s fine; those cards might be just fine if played by you. But you need to understand that if you actually want to win games of Dominion, then playing that way doesn’t work.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2018, 12:53:22 am »

Yes, you build your deck a whole bunch and then buy 4 Colonies at once. The problem is, you would lose to players who do not do that. All of your cards are based around the way you play. And that’s fine; those cards might be just fine if played by you. But you need to understand that if you actually want to win games of Dominion, then playing that way doesn’t work.

Actually that strategy usually does work

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:10 am »
+4

Yes, against your family, who overbuild so much they get to 20$ without having more than one buy.
Among the blind is the one-eyed king.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2018, 06:49:54 am »

Wait hang on, I know how to get Chase Adolphson to start changing his cards. We need to use the true purpose of f.ds: giving upvotes! He doesn't have a lot; let's be kind to him. And maybe make memes.

Ok back to making this post contribute to the discussion. So question: has your family seen these cards, and have they enjoyed playing with them? (keyword playing)

Oh how about I include my story. Maybe this will get you to reconsider some stuff.

When my family got Dominion, I decided (just for fun; not really because I wanted to pursue card designing) to include larger versions of existing cards into their piles. So for example:

Large Moat:
cost: $7
+3 Cards / Moat's reaction.
(I was like 10 when I thought of these and I thought those cards would work; Large Moat's effect is obviously way too weak)

My mother and sister hated these when playing it, and I realized I didn't like them too. So I threw those pieces of paper away, and that's that.

See, playtesting works wonders, and you have to accept feedback.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:08 am »
+3

I'm a bit confused here. What was your original intention in posting cards here if you refuse to except any of the advice or suggestions people give you?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:37 am »
+2

I'm a bit confused here. What was your original intention in posting cards here if you refuse to except any of the advice or suggestions people give you?

And we've come full circle!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2018, 02:10:18 pm »
+12

I think there is nothing to be gained from this thread the way it goes right now... My guess is that Chase made some first attemps at card design, was proud of them and just wanted to show them to people. Which is fine. Sadly, this forum just isn't the right environment for that. Its kinda like showing some picture you drew to your aunt vs exhibiting it on an art fair. We are trying to be helpful by providing suggestions, and get irritated that Chase ignores our suggestions. Chase wanted to show something he accomplished, and gets irritated by the fact that he gets so much negative critizism.

I already suggested a path how you can check how good your cards really are, Chase. It's up to you to try it if you feel like it, I don't say you have to. But if your family really plays the way you describe it, I'm sure you could beat them using the "Big Money" strategy every time. A strong player wouldn't lose to it, but I'm afraid the people you play with are either not strong players, or seriously pulling their punches...

You see, many of your ideas are ideas a lot of people have. Super-expensive, super-strong cards, attack-deflecting reactions, attacks that steal cards from other players to put them into your hand - these have been done by a lot of people, as they are seemingly obvious gaps in the Dominion design space. So it's not like we're saying you were dumb for having those ideas. It's just, while in some games such cards may work, for one reason or another, they don't in Dominion. The others named why. If you don't want to hear about it, that's perfectly fine. But I'm afraid that if you want another kind of feedback, we won't be able to provide it.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2018, 06:45:58 pm »
+8

Well I actually am working on some changes to the cards

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2018, 08:40:32 pm »

I think tournament would go really well with villain. With follower you only need 3 villains to empty their hand not 5. With princess villains cost 24 not 26. Also you can gain provinces with villains which help you get the prizes.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2018, 11:43:21 pm »
+1

With follower you only need 3 villains to empty their hand not 5.

This is true of Militia as well, which is a far easier card to obtain than followers. And being easier to empty their hand is a bad thing, something you should be working to avoid and make sure can't happen.

With princess villains cost 24 not 26. Also you can gain provinces with villains which help you get the prizes.

And with Silver, the Villains essentially cost 24 not 26 as well. If you use Princess and then buy a card so expensive that you can only afford one of them, then you have just gone way out of your way to get a terminal silver.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2018, 11:55:56 pm »

I just finished a play testing game and the high costs actually worked really well. Try it for yourselves.
No events no landmarks chapel, bazaar, bank, cursed store, cursed coin, dangerous forest, golden town, kings crown, field, general.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2018, 12:08:36 am »

I just finished a play testing game and the high costs actually worked really well. Try it for yourselves.
No events no landmarks chapel, bazaar, bank, cursed store, cursed coin, dangerous forest, golden town, kings crown, field, general.

How did you playtest? Did you try Asper's suggestion of having one player buy nothing but Silver, Gold, and Provinces; while another player saved up for your expensive cards, to see who won? What does "worked really well" mean?

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2018, 12:12:40 am »

How did you playtest? Did you try Asper's suggestion of having one player buy nothing but Silver, Gold, and Provinces; while another player saved up for your expensive cards, to see who won? What does "worked really well" mean?

It means that I was actually able to get generals pretty early game. Probably because I had a lot of platinums.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2018, 12:17:47 am »

It means that I was actually able to get generals pretty early game. Probably because I had a lot of platinums.

But we already know that the way your playstyle got you huge amount of money in your games.. you said yourself that often you have over $20 to spend, even with only one buy. So there was never a doubt about if you could afford to buy your cards if that's what you wanted... the question is if another player would win the game by NOT building up that much, and just buying Provinces (or Colonies) instead.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2018, 12:32:33 am »

But I got those generals early game. I was also able to buy four colonies in one turn. And I beat my opponent by far. My opponent was the one who bought silver gold and provinces while I bought my cards. You should play that game that I posted and you will see what I mean. If you open cursed coin/chapel that is very good, which is what I did. Cursed coin was how I was getting platinums on turns 5/6. I don't know how I could've won without those four generals that I was able to buy. I got a lot of provinces from them and they helped a lot with my engine. I love cursed coin! That card probably won the game for me, because I wouldn't have been able to get those platinums so then I wouldn't be able to get the generals. Kings crown is awesome. I used them for 2 cards 2 actions but they still counted for bank. With my crazy engines, bank was able to produce 20 a lot of times.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:07:55 am by Chase Adolphson »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2018, 07:59:10 am »

Cursed Coin does look strong, possibly too strong.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2018, 09:52:56 am »
+3

I think we should just let Chase have his fun and leave him to it. The fact that he tested his cards vs Province big money in a Colony game should be signal enough that it's a waste of time at this point. There are plenty of other fan sets made by people who are dying for this kind of analysis and feedback on their cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2018, 03:11:37 pm »
+3

I think we should just let Chase have his fun and leave him to it. The fact that he tested his cards vs Province big money in a Colony game should be signal enough that it's a waste of time at this point. There are plenty of other fan sets made by people who are dying for this kind of analysis and feedback on their cards.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2018, 09:50:38 pm »

But I got those generals early game. I was also able to buy four colonies in one turn. And I beat my opponent by far. My opponent was the one who bought silver gold and provinces while I bought my cards. You should play that game that I posted and you will see what I mean. Of you open cursed coin/chapel that is very good, which is what I did. Cursed coin was how I was getting platinums on turns 5/6. I don't know how I could've won without those four generals that I was able to buy. I got a lot of provinces from them and they helped a lot with my engine. I love cursed coin! That card probably won the game for me, because I wouldn't have been able to get those platinums so then I wouldn't be able to get the generals. Kings crown is awesome. I used them for 2 cards 2 actions but they still counted for bank. With my crazy engines, bank was able to produce 20 a lot of times.

This sounds like a case of the stars aligning just right, though. You got an extremely lucky 5/2 opening and were able to get the second strongest trasher in the game and a very strong treasure which is literally the very cheapest of all of your cards. Also, your opponent was forced into a very weak strategy on this particular board since the only cheap card was Chapel. Basically, he could buy nothing but treasures and Bazaars, which is of course going to be slow, especially if he got 3/4.

I would suggest testing your cards on a board where there are also a lot of decent cheap cards. Just curious, was this board created at random or did you deliberately design it so that your cards would be useful?

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2018, 12:48:01 am »

But I got those generals early game. I was also able to buy four colonies in one turn. And I beat my opponent by far. My opponent was the one who bought silver gold and provinces while I bought my cards. You should play that game that I posted and you will see what I mean. Of you open cursed coin/chapel that is very good, which is what I did. Cursed coin was how I was getting platinums on turns 5/6. I don't know how I could've won without those four generals that I was able to buy. I got a lot of provinces from them and they helped a lot with my engine. I love cursed coin! That card probably won the game for me, because I wouldn't have been able to get those platinums so then I wouldn't be able to get the generals. Kings crown is awesome. I used them for 2 cards 2 actions but they still counted for bank. With my crazy engines, bank was able to produce 20 a lot of times.

This sounds like a case of the stars aligning just right, though. You got an extremely lucky 5/2 opening and were able to get the second strongest trasher in the game and a very strong treasure which is literally the very cheapest of all of your cards. Also, your opponent was forced into a very weak strategy on this particular board since the only cheap card was Chapel. Basically, he could buy nothing but treasures and Bazaars, which is of course going to be slow, especially if he got 3/4.

I would suggest testing your cards on a board where there are also a lot of decent cheap cards. Just curious, was this board created at random or did you deliberately design it so that your cards would be useful?

I actually played this exact game a second time, and I got generals really early as well, and I got the 3/4 split the second time. On turn 3 I got a cursed coin and then I trashed all of my cards with chapel except for the chapel the silver and the cursed coin. Then I used the cursed coin and the silver to buy more cursed coins cursed stores which were very valuable since they were the only card that gave +buy and then I bought banks platinums generals a few golden towns and kings crowns which helped my engine a lot. It even could help my engine and help bank at the same time. Those curses make it a lot easier to get high costing cards fast. The only problem was I didn't want to trash my cursed stores since they were the only card that gave +buy and I was getting 30 every turn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.