Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Slay the Spire  (Read 21192 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2019, 01:58:39 pm »
+1

For what it’s worth, I thought the art style was ugly too, but it grew on me with time. I still don’t think it’s great or anything, but it gives the whole thing a dreamlike feel, which works with the strange world the game builds.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2019, 03:06:05 pm »
+1

The art looks pretty good to me.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2019, 12:38:23 pm »

The game is definitely ugly af and I think there's a way in which with Binding of Isaac grew on me and I got an appreciation for it but with Slay the Spire it's just like, I've seen this thing for the 90th time and it's still ugly.

I got this game on sale too. I am constantly misinterpreting the art on the cards, and my interpretations go back to my initial impression even after I zoom in to see what's going on. Example, from far Noxious Fumes looks like a guy in a red hood and a purple cape casting the green-ish mist cloud.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2020, 02:59:33 pm »
+6

I played slay the spire for approximately 15 of the last 30 hours.  No joke.  Never binged a game so hard

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »
+1

Anyone feel that, as brilliant as StS is, it's not quite as clean and well designed as Dominion?

The hand size limit seems a little annoying, though there is no played pile, so it's maybe needed to prevent infinite turns?

The stacking of Echo Form (The first card you play each turn is played twice) is simply wrong as worded.  A second echo form makes you play your second card twice, instead of your first card three times.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2020, 01:24:18 pm »

Few card games are. Can you even think of any example? I’ve been following the development of Griftlands, which is pretty similar to Slay the Spire. It’s also really good, but the card wording is quite a few steps behind Slay the Spire in clarity and consistency. I have a feeling this might be inversely correlated with team size (assuming the people working on it are logic-minded to begin with).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2020, 02:17:45 pm »
+1

I'm 95% sure that the hand limit is a UI concession. There are plenty of infinite turns you can get with a hand well under 10 cards. I don't think the gameplay would require significant adjustment if you could hold arbitrarily many cards in your hand, but the UI would take a lot more work for not much fun benefit.

I think StS compares very well to Dominion in its degree of polish and development. Dominion excelled over its imitators by adding exhaustive development to its initial design. Likewise, StS excels over its many imitators by making every card have its place, most decisions meaningful, and no one strategy being overwhelmingly good.

Anyone feel that, as brilliant as StS is, it's not quite as clean and well designed as Dominion?

The hand size limit seems a little annoying, though there is no played pile, so it's maybe needed to prevent infinite turns?

The stacking of Echo Form (The first card you play each turn is played twice) is simply wrong as worded.  A second echo form makes you play your second card twice, instead of your first card three times.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2020, 10:30:26 am »

My play pattern for StS has been alternating between binging it for 6+ hours or something and then not touching it for a long time. I don't have much interest in the ascensions. Like Dominion, I think StS is deep but also dry in that you run out of "puzzle pieces" to find rather quickly and then it's all about your mastery of the game.

The issue I have with StS is that it has the frustrating parts of Dominion, such as the catastrophic low rolls or a bad decision you make only being apparent like 10 rounds later, and is so punishing when things don't go your way. Like, if I lose a game of Dominion due to terrible luck, I at least know that a human opponent got the taste of victory and usually the game will not have lasted longer than 30 minutes. Losing on a StS run due to a mistake or RNG could cost you an hour-long run and then you are alone in your defeat because the computer won and not some friend or "worthy opponent".

So ultimately, I expect to continue playing Slay the Spire sporadically as my whims dictate, but I don't enjoy the experience enough to want to grind out all the ascensions. "Grind" really feels like the correct term to describe the ascensions.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2020, 10:38:28 pm »

bump!

Tell me all the new

rrenaud

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2020, 12:16:38 pm »

There is a new character that just got released on steam.  She has this weird/fun stance switching mechanic, where she changes from very defensive to very offensive.

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Watcher_Cards

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2020, 12:45:28 pm »

Yeah, I was hoping to have time to dive into stuff from the patch; new relics, new character and all. 

I got some sessions in last night; wanted to start a new save and relive the glory of learning things.  Got Slaver's Collar...best energy relic?  Or are you all missing the extra energy on regular floor fights?

Also, very sad about Well-Laid Plans

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2020, 12:46:11 pm »

There is a new character that just got released on steam.  She has this weird/fun stance switching mechanic, where she changes from very defensive to very offensive.

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Watcher_Cards

Ah thanks for the heads up. I was waiting for Watcher to get out of Beta before trying her.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2020, 02:51:37 pm »

Regular floor fights can usually be cleared without taking any damage even if you're "missing" a relic so Slaver's Collar seems like it's rather easily  the best energy Relic.  I'm surprised it's not "1 Energy each turn against bosses".

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 03:40:22 pm »
+2

Regular floor fights can usually be cleared without taking any damage even if you're "missing" a relic so Slaver's Collar seems like it's rather easily  the best energy Relic.  I'm surprised it's not "1 Energy each turn against bosses".

Not sure I agree with this. Act 2 especially has a number of fairly tough regular fights, like Snake Plant (8x3 damage constantly can be hard to keep up with, especially as you'll be frail for most of the fight) and both Chosen + other enemy fights (Hex is really tricky to deal with - get flooded with dazed, or stop playing skills which includes most of your block and tank damage, or somewhere awkward in between). Act 3 a bit less so, although the Maw and Spire Growth I do find somewhat tricky at times. And Darklings or Jaw Worms can sometimes just all attack at once and be threatening 50+ damage on a turn, which sometimes is dangerous.

You definitely take less damage on average from the regular encounters, but you also do a lot more of them. Having only 3 energy instead of 4 in the majority of fights, even if they're somewhat easier ones, can lead to you taking a fair bit more damage in those random encounters. Still overall I do agree it's probably one of the stronger boss relics, but I don't think it's easily the best.

Edit: Just lost a run in act 3, having taken about 50-60 damage in regular encounters, before getting finished off in an Elite fight. Granted my deck was kinda bleh and I didn't pick up too many good relics, but really, I just want to highlight that no, you don't get through regular fights damage free every time. Even watching the youtuber Jorbs, who seems very skilled at the game (pretty good win rate on ascension 20), he's often taking a lot of damage from those regular encounters.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:44:56 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 05:22:48 pm »
+1

I must not be cognizant of the nicks and cuts

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2020, 05:43:50 pm »
+1

I must not be cognizant of the nicks and cuts

You typically don't have all your bases covered coming off the heels of Act 1 to get around damage in Act 2 hallway fights. You may however have an efficient means of healing by then.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2020, 05:53:08 am »
+2

As I've been playing more, and watching a lot more (think I've probably watched over twice as many hours as I've played at this point), I'm starting to feel that my earlier thoughts on deck building aren't really accurate. Trying to build a specific deck to do a specific thing I think is often a bad idea. Instead I think you want to be taking cards that help you win against fights your deck might struggle against. For example if I've got several good powers in my deck, that's great, but my turn 1 may be pretty weak and also if I can't play those powers I could be in trouble. So Reptomancer and Awakened One could be issues - so I may want to add ways to deal some quick AoE damage or else scale up without powers for those fights (if I don't already have them). Sometimes, you can see that you deck can achieve something that wins for basically all fights, e.g. an infinite combo or similar (which is probably only stopped by Time Eater and the Heart), but otherwise I think you should typically end up with a deck that works coherently, but doesn't just focus on one way to win.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2020, 09:48:55 pm »
+1

Got a copy on Steam from a friend of mine. Managed to successfully finish a run on my very first attempt. I assume I was relatively lucky. Looking forward to playing it again.

Anybody have this on Switch? How is the interface?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2020, 11:36:42 am »
+3

Finally beat the heart with all characters on ascension 20.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2021, 06:25:17 pm »
+2

I can't believe I was 3 years late to this game.

Been playing it at every opportunity since getting it a couple weeks back. The satisfying deckbuilding feels enough like Dominion that I'm thinking about my Dominion days a lot lately!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.