Miscellaneous > Other Games

Slay the Spire

(1/14) > >>

market squire:
So I got this game on Steam about a month ago (http://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/) and must say I am super addicted, Steam says I've already sunk 47 hours into it... If anyone else tried it I would be interested in your opinion. Otherwise I can only recommend it. The game is yet in Early Access, but already very solid and has lots of replay value. They even added in a Daily challenge mode with hard rule modifiers last week.

Slay the Spire is often described as a mixture of a deckbuilder, a Rogue-like and a dungeon crawler. It is a singleplayer (PvE) game that you can play in ~2 hours per run.

The main designer is a big fan of Netrunner (he hosts the fan site stimhack.com). What bugs me about LCGs like Netrunner or Hearthstone is the metagame, that you have to build your deck in advance of the actual game, while considering thousands of possibilities and counters. In Slay the Spire, the deckbuilding part is naturally built into the game. Step by step during your run, you may add a card to your deck after each fight. There are some rare possibilities to get rid of cards as well. I really enjoy this idea of "procedural deckbuilding".

The two main "currencies" on the cards are Attack and Defend. You can see the enemy's intentions and play accordingly. This makes it quite interesting. Defending is very important because you don't automatically heal up your HP after a fight (and if you get killed, you must start from the beginning again).

The "playing the deck" part is working just like Dominion. You will shuffle quite often. There are some small differences. Cards are just played into the discard pile, so some infinite combos are possible. But they are hard to pull off because you only have 3 Energy to play cards regularly. Also, they won't work in every case because each enemy behaves differently.

You can collect Relics that give you special abilities which will make each run unique. Also there are 2 different characters to play with, each with a huge set of possible cards. One additional character will be added on the full release, but the two are already very very interesting.

DG:
Monsters Slayers is another similar game that's fun for a while.

sitnaltax:
I second the recommendation. (Jorbles and I both talked about it briefly on the roguelike games topic.) I've had it a couple weeks and am enjoying it a lot (just unlocked Ascension mode).

The first game of this type was Dream Quest, which is excellent but very idiosyncratic--very primitive graphics and a sometimes-devastating difficulty curve. I highly recommend it to anyone here, although I'm not sure how someone who's used to the pacing and polish of Slay the Spire will like it. I briefly tried Monster Slayers but couldn't get into it--it seemed like a watered-down but polished version of DQ. The developer of Dream Quest went on to be hired by Blizzard for Hearthstone, and the Dungeon Runs minigame associated with the K&C expansion was clearly his doing (he was the lead designer for that expansion).

Drab Emordnilap:
I have 93 hours played. I'm not particularly proud of that. But yeah, it's really good.

popsofctown:
Netrunner is a lot of "work" but it's pretty fun

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version