Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Masseuse: For when you need to relax  (Read 1360 times)

MeNowDealWithIt

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: MeNowDealWithIt
  • Why does it say "Pearl Diver"
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Masseuse: For when you need to relax
« on: March 02, 2018, 09:54:34 pm »
+2

There are frequently times when playing Dominion where something is just kind of annoying, like you can almost do something but you can't quite.

Well, the Masseuse gets rid of that stress:

Masseuse
Action

+1 Action
Choose only one of the following effects:

* +1 Card
* Play an Action from your hand.
* Draw cards until the number of cards in your deck is divisible by 5. Discard as many cards as you drew this way. Discard a card.
* Trash an Action card from your hand.
* If no other Masseuses have been played this turn to decrease the price of Duchies and Provinces, Duchies and Provinces in the supply cost $1 less until the next time you buy a card.
* If there are 4 or fewer Provinces in the Province Pile and a Duchy was gained last turn, trash a Province from the Province pile.
* Trash the Black Market deck

I'm thinking it should cost $3 and replace the starting Estates, but not be in the supply Thoughts?

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Masseuse: For when you need to relax
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 03:19:23 am »

I wouldn't replace Estates with cantrips / Necropolises / sifters / Ruins-trashers / green-cost-reducers as it'd radically change the opening (you can gets two 5s in the opening). I'd also not do a card with 6 options, if only for readability.
Also note that stuff like "trash the Black Market deck" is totally pointless in games without Black Market and in games with Black Market it'd just prevent anybody from buying Black Market.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 03:31:57 am »
+4

Poe's law?

MeNowDealWithIt

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: MeNowDealWithIt
  • Why does it say "Pearl Diver"
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:56:53 am »

I probably should have made this more clear. Each of these possible effects are supposed to be very rarely useful, but they should prevent something frequently annoying from happening, when you get it into your hand.

+1 card is for when you get Throne Room/Kings Court in your hand without any other Actions and is also to prevent one player from getting too much of an advantage based on the split at the beginning, although I realize upon further reflection that replacing all 3 of the starting estates with cantrips is problematic.

The Necropolis effect is for when you run out of terminal Actions but want to play more Actions.

The sifting is so that good cards like witch don't "Miss the shuffle."

The Price decreasing is for hands where you have 7 or 4 coins and it's in the endgame.

Trashing the Black market deck is to prevent the luck-based aspect of Black Market, but playing treasures during the Action phase is still a worthwhile effect most of the time.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:39:38 am »

As a Kingdom card this would be weak but probably OK as a $2.
I'd debate your claim that playing Treasures during the Action phase is useful most of the times. A terminal Silver that does that trick needs specific cards in the Kingdom like Quarry, Library, Menagerie and so on to be good.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:49:50 am »
+1

"Trash the Black Market deck" would be seriously annoying to deal with in reality. I vote not to be the one who laboriously paws through the Black Market deck to see whether it contains Fortress, Cultist, Feodum, Hunting Grounds or Rats.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 08:00:08 am »
+6

also it would be pretty op with tomb
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.