Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Trash Collector  (Read 1774 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Trash Collector
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:55:03 pm »

Trash Collector
$5

Choose one: trash three differently named cards, if you do gain a gold; draw (5-10?) cards from your pile, if you draw a curse then trash it and replace it with a gold. Only one curse may be trashed this way. Reshuffle the drawn cards and place them back on top of the deck.

One of my favorite cards in Hinterlands of late is Trader because of its ability to make me rethink--and hopefully my opponents rethink--buying cursing attacks--especially mountebank.

As a result I wanted to create another card that would have that same effect but not be a reaction card.
My thought was to find a way to turn curses into Golds--because that would be a severe way to stop curses from being dealt out. But I wanted the card to still be useful in non-cursing games. Hence the other option. I chose having three differently named cards so that it couldn't be used on estate, copper, copper early on. It requires another card--a silver, or a 2$ card, or ideally a curse in hand to use.

However, I am unsure about how many cards is appropriate to draw 5, 10?

Any thoughts, I haven't play tested.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Trash Collector
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »

The first part is probably very, very weak. I can't imagine it occurring all that often that you have three differently named cards in hand that you don't mind trashing. You would have to have Trash Collector/Estate/Copper/Curse/Something, really, or draw those somehow. Not all that great, especially for $5.

The second part, however, strikes me as super strong, depending on how many cards we are talking about drawing. The curse into Gold thing is okay, but re-ordering the next 10 cards of your deck would be pretty powerful, I bet. I doubt you could make it 10. It has to be more than 5, though, or else were talking about something probably worse than Cartographer.

Interesting concept, although I think the re-ordering some amount of cards power is actually stronger than the Curse into Gold power.

What about something like this:

Trash Collector -- $5

Choose one: Trash a Curse from your hand. If you do, gain a Gold; or, look at the next 5 cards in your deck. You may reveal a Curse from among these cards. If you do, trash it. Put the other cards back on top of your deck in any order.

I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:23:38 am »

I'd just make it:

Pawnbroker.
$3 Action
Trash 2 differently named cards from your hand. Gain a silver in hand.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:37:24 am »

Hmmm, how about making the amount of trashed cards part of the reward?

Trash Collector - $4 ($3? $5?)
Trash up to 3 cards from your hand.
-------
If you trashed 3 differently named cards: gain a Gold.
Else if you trashed 2 differently named cards: gain a Silver.
Else gain a Copper.

Wording needs some work, but basically you get a better Treasure if your trash an increasing number of differently named cards. If you trash only copies of the same card, you gain a Copper.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:36 am »

imho, that now becomes too versatile, because of the "up to", and the fact that you can trash matching cards if you want.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:03 am »

imho, that now becomes too versatile, because of the "up to", and the fact that you can trash matching cards if you want.
Feel free to fiddle. :)

You can make it:

Trash Collector - $4
Trash up to 3 differently named cards from your hand.
------
If you trashed 3 cards, gain a Gold.
If you trashed 2 cards, gain a Silver.
If you trashed 1 card, gain a Copper.
(Optional: If you didn't trash any cards, gain a Curse)

Needs better wording to make sure people understand they can trash XYZ, XY or X, but not XXY or any other combination with duplicates.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.