Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Celeste  (Read 27275 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Celeste
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2018, 12:30:25 am »

It's only certain floors where I gradually shift from upright, to right, to downleft, for different purposes during the floor, and then by the time I'm at that down left I need say, an up left dash.  But from all the gradual shifting, I've loft a sense of what angle the control stick is actually at, I'd have to look down to know.  3D games give you a constant indicator because the character moves differently for each of those tiny degrees, but based on observing your character in Celeste you only know a 45 degree range of possible positions the stick might be in from looking up at the screen.

The Nintendo 64 controller had notches at each 45 degree location which largely obviated this, but the well for the Switch stick is totally circular.

When I need a dash or certain direction from a dead stop, I don't have much if any trouble.

OH you said directional buttons. Like the x y b a.  Yeah I think those are probably very precise.  They're just stiff and tough to me.  I have a feeling if I fought the learning curve on them I'd be rewarded and yet I'm not going to.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2018, 01:11:44 am »

...am I the only the one that likes the Joycon's directional buttons?  I can be so much more precise with them than with a d-pad.  With a d-pad, I constantly hit diagonal directions when I don't want to.

I don't hate them, at least for most games. Sometimes it's nice to have the d-pad, though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2018, 09:33:49 pm »

Spoil me this, are there any prize levels besides heart of the mountain and it's pretty low cost of 4 hearts?

I'm not sure I'm in enough to 100% this.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2018, 10:03:56 pm »

Spoil me this, are there any prize levels besides heart of the mountain and it's pretty low cost of 4 hearts?

Each chapter has an associated B side (harder version comparable in length to the A side) and C side (hardest version, but short). Each B side is unlocked by finding a cassette in the corresponding A side. The C sides unlock once you have completed all B sides.

The quality of the B & C sides is generally very high so I would very much recommend at least trying them. (Start with 1B or 2B, as they are easier than the rest.)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2018, 11:08:44 pm »

Each chapter has an associated B side (harder version comparable in length to the A side) and C side (hardest version, but short). Each B side is unlocked by finding a cassette in the corresponding A side. The C sides unlock once you have completed all B sides.

The quality of the B & C sides is generally very high so I would very much recommend at least trying them. (Start with 1B or 2B, as they are easier than the rest.)

Adding to this, the B-side to heart of the mountain requires getting every other heart in the game. (Well, you get hearts for the C-sides, but they won't be unlocked at that point.)

1B starts at a bit under Chapter 7 A-side in difficulty and then it ramps up from there.

If you can beat all the B-sides, you can beat all the C-sides, as long as you have the patience.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2018, 08:23:45 pm »

I gave up when some strawberries were too hard to find, hurt my completionist soul

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 09:46:40 pm »

I gave up when some strawberries were too hard to find, hurt my completionist soul

I gave up trying to get some of the golden strawberries, hurt my completionist soul
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 11:40:24 am »

Has anybody played TowerFall? It just came out for the Switch recently, but it's been around since 2013 (originally released on the Ouya, if you can believe it). I'm asking here since it's the first game by the guy/company that made Celeste, and it has a similar aesthetic. And in the Switch version you can actually play as Madeline or Badeline.

Unlike Celeste, it's a local (not online) multiplayer game, with both competitive and co-op modes. I played a bunch of it last night with a couple of friends and it's a real blast. Lots of laughs. Each player controls an archer that (normally) starts with 3 arrows. One hit (normally) kills another player, so it's very fast-paced. But once you shoot your arrows, you have to retrieve them. Or you can retrieve other players' arrows. And there are quite a few random power-ups and different types of special arrows, etc.

I don't recommend it as a single-player experience, but if you can get a few people together in the same room, it's well worth $20. It supports up to 6 players on the Switch.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2018, 06:49:53 pm »
+1

Are you aware that, on the world map, you can view which subchapters are missing berries and in which order? Also, that the pause screen shows which berries you've collected (ever, and in the current play) and their order? I found these two sources of info very useful when collecting the last few berries.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 01:21:03 am »
+1

The former, I knew, it is still so hard, I rammed my face into every pixel I swear.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2019, 09:51:33 am »
+1

is celeste still relevant?

Anyway there's now a Chapter 9. It took hours for me to finish it, but I loved it. Of course, the music is awesome. (Also if you though 7C was crazy long and difficult, wait until you reach the final screen.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 12:22:22 pm »

I'm guessing that's a thing I can't access since I couldn't find all the berries.

When a puzzle or scavenger hunt gets hard enough I need repeated use of an external guide I'm kind of out, even though I loved everything else about Celeste :(

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2019, 12:23:34 pm »

Have it on the Switch, but still haven't played it yet. Other stuff to finish first.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2019, 01:49:53 pm »

I liked Chapter 9 a lot. I didn't pay good attention to the wavedashing guide and ended up doing everything with what is apparently called hyperdashing, made some screens way harder than they should have been. Didn't realize it until I saw some stuff online.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2019, 05:47:39 pm »

I'm guessing that's a thing I can't access since I couldn't find all the berries.
Chapter 9 is a free DLC that just came out. At least for the parts I've played through so far, it doesn't require berries. (Maybe you need to finish Chapter 8 to see it?)

I haven't played through all of it yet (because I'm really bad at advanced techniques) but it's pretty good. It's essentially a B-side. I enjoyed the B-sides, although I prefer A-sides. (I like having a relatively easy main path with optional berry challenges.)

dz

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2019, 06:40:42 pm »

Chapter 9 is a free DLC that just came out. At least for the parts I've played through so far, it doesn't require berries. (Maybe you need to finish Chapter 8 to see it?)

I haven't played through all of it yet (because I'm really bad at advanced techniques) but it's pretty good. It's essentially a B-side. I enjoyed the B-sides, although I prefer A-sides. (I like having a relatively easy main path with optional berry challenges.)

To unlock it you just need to finish Core (which requires 4 hearts). About midway through it'll require more hearts to continue. Also you should be able to get to that point without any advanced movement.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2019, 05:12:48 am »

I'm glad for assist mode. I finished it by using 50% speed for the parts after the fake ending. That makes the execution difficulty more comparable with the planning difficulty, for me.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2019, 03:29:49 am »
+1

So I got Celeste for free through the Epic Store some time ago, and finally decided to play it this week. Beat chapters 1-8 (~130 strawberries, ~1800 deaths), tried chapter 9 but it quickly looked like it would require more skill than I have (then I checked the whole thing on youtube, and there's zero chance I beat that).

I enjoyed chapters 1-6, except the windy parts which I loathed. Chapters 7-8 started shifting the difficulty towards more input precision and longer stretches without checkpoints, and I honestly kinda had to force myself to go through them just because I really wanted to see the conclusion to the story. Maybe I would have enjoyed the gameplay more if RL was a bit less stressful for me right now. I loved the story though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2019, 01:04:45 pm »
+1

So I got Celeste for free through the Epic Store some time ago, and finally decided to play it this week. Beat chapters 1-8 (~130 strawberries, ~1800 deaths), tried chapter 9 but it quickly looked like it would require more skill than I have (then I checked the whole thing on youtube, and there's zero chance I beat that).

You are required to beat several (or maybe all?) of the B and C sides before you can beat chapter 9.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

dz

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2019, 06:39:01 pm »

You are required to beat several (or maybe all?) of the B and C sides before you can beat chapter 9.

Except if you watch some speedruns, you will realize you can just dash through the heart door (and it's not even that hard to do).

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2019, 07:05:28 pm »

I stopped quite a few screens before the door. I was in one of the first screens with the blowfish, I was supposed to dash into it, boost myself across some spikes, then dash back to that fish so it would blow me into another and so on. I kept not being able to bounce hard enough from dashing into the fish to clear the spikes without using the dash I needed to go back to the fish afterwards. After feeling rather frustrated with some of the screens in Core (and beating them through sheer persistence rather than skill), I thought it was a good spot to end.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2019, 10:59:26 pm »
+1

I think the average quality of B-sides and C-sides is higher than the average quality of Chapter 9. I wouldn't bother playing Chapter 9 until trying some of those. In particular, 1B and 2B aren't super hard. (Might actually be easier than Core A... I don't remember.)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2019, 09:10:36 am »
+1

I stopped quite a few screens before the door. I was in one of the first screens with the blowfish, I was supposed to dash into it, boost myself across some spikes, then dash back to that fish so it would blow me into another and so on. I kept not being able to bounce hard enough from dashing into the fish to clear the spikes without using the dash I needed to go back to the fish afterwards. After feeling rather frustrated with some of the screens in Core (and beating them through sheer persistence rather than skill), I thought it was a good spot to end.

This is the exact one I’m stuck on as well. The great thing about this game is that each screen is two challenges: the puzzle of figuring out what to do to beat it, and then executing the platforming moves. In this one though it seems pretty obvious what to do, but very hard to pull off.

dz

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2019, 10:37:41 am »
+2

This is the exact one I’m stuck on as well. The great thing about this game is that each screen is two challenges: the puzzle of figuring out what to do to beat it, and then executing the platforming moves. In this one though it seems pretty obvious what to do, but very hard to pull off.

Are you holding jump after bouncing on the pufferfish? I dash into it, and the momentum from the dash, plus holding jump allows me to get over the spikes.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2019, 01:20:47 pm »
+1

I figured after the fact that was what I was doing wrong (Core has the same mechanic with the moving ice blocks), but by that time I had already watched a playthrough of chapter 9. I didn’t really want to go back to it, when my capacity to execute complex strings of jumps / dashes and so on was already proving inadequate.

I may go back to check 1B and 2B, if their difficulty is more in line with early 7A than late 8A.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 21 queries.