Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Celeste  (Read 27269 times)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Celeste
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 09:51:50 am »
+1

For me, 3C was by far the hardest, because I find the Oshiro bop timing really hard. (Well, maybe not the highest deaths since it's not very long, but bopping Oshiro was the single hardest move for me.) The ones most people think are hardest are 5C, 7C, 8C. They're all fair though.

Man, you weren't lying about 5-C. That one took me 658 deaths and I was pretty close to just putting the game down. (The turning point came when I realized you don't have to move laterally at all to do the wall kick move, which let me do it much more consistently.) 6-C, by contrast, was 137 and probably less than an hour.

Last stops are 7-C and 8-C, of course, and the videos for both of them look absolutely insane.

6-C is too easy I think (it feels out of place with the others). 7-C is a real bear, by far the hardest in my opinion. 8-C is pretty tough but my favorite C-side.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 10:53:58 pm »

For 7C, it helped me a lot to have done it on 50% speed first. There are a lot of places where you need certain positions that aren't obvious (like there's a certain bumper that you have to hit as high as possible, and some spikes you have to get so close that it looks like you should die). Once I knew all those, it wasn't _too_ crazy to get it done on full speed. I actually feel like to be consistent on it is easier than some of the other hardest C-sides (3C, 8C) because there isn't any reactive or timing aspect.

The last bit I cleared in the game (on full speed) is actually 8B. There are a few early screens that IMO are harder than most of the C-side content.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:03:47 pm by blueblimp »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 06:36:21 pm »
+1

For 7C, it helped me a lot to have done it on 50% speed first. There are a lot of places where you need certain positions that aren't obvious (like there's a certain bumper that you have to hit as high as possible, and some spikes you have to get so close that it looks like you should die). Once I knew all those, it wasn't _too_ crazy to get it done on full speed. I actually feel like to be consistent on it is easier than some of the other hardest C-sides (3C, 8C) because there isn't any reactive or timing aspect.

I just couldn't get through the last bramble patch to save my life, the rest was not super terrible. I found diagonal dashes to be pretty much the hardest move for me to execute correctly. Either my thumbs can't do it or some combination of my thumbs + the controller.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 09:17:05 pm »

I just couldn't get through the last bramble patch to save my life, the rest was not super terrible. I found diagonal dashes to be pretty much the hardest move for me to execute correctly. Either my thumbs can't do it or some combination of my thumbs + the controller.
Having issues with diagonals seems like a common input issue. I played on a DualShock 4, which has separate buttons for each direction, and I never had any major issues with dash direction, so I think that helped. I imagine it would be pretty frustrating to play with analog stick or single-piece d-pad.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 10:58:10 pm »
+1

Holy cow.

After 871 deaths, I finally finished 7C. That was amazingly difficult--and even harder than it looks on the videos. So many of the moves require you to be in an surprisingly exact position--hitting the pistons, dodging or falling through the crystals, tagging the tiny wall kick. The beginning of the final crystal maze almost had me stumped before I realized you have to be near the top of the horizontal corridor in addition to near the left of the vertical corridor.

To make things even crazier--after I talked to the old woman, I set down the controller for a second. When I picked it up again, I jostled the button and dashed off the cliff. Somehow I had enough composure to dash back, climb up, and recover the heart. But man, I would have been tilted if I had come so far to die at the final cliff for nothing.

8C remains and then... it's over...

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 12:23:40 am »
+1

To make things even crazier--after I talked to the old woman, I set down the controller for a second. When I picked it up again, I jostled the button and dashed off the cliff. Somehow I had enough composure to dash back, climb up, and recover the heart. But man, I would have been tilted if I had come so far to die at the final cliff for nothing.
There's actually a checkpoint once you reach the area with the woman.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 09:04:58 am »

There's actually a checkpoint once you reach the area with the woman.

That's very gracious of them. Out of curiosity, how did you know that? Did you die/see someone else die, or is there a way to examine the levels?

I was also somehow terrified that I would botch the dash to collect the heart and have to do the whole thing all over again. Realistically, I had practiced enough that it would have been only a 15-20 minute setback (if there hadn't been a checkpoint), but again, demoralizing and infuriating.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 09:28:47 am »
+1

Out of curiosity, how did you know that? Did you die/see someone else die, or is there a way to examine the levels?
I don't remember for sure, but I think I learned it from the internet at first. Later, when practicing it for consistency, it turns out that the checkpoint actually makes things slightly awkward, because you can't use "retry" to go back to the beginning of the whole room. So it's necessary to die before reaching the final platform, if you want to continue practicing after a successful playthrough.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2018, 04:36:02 pm »
+1

Update: I finished 8C! Total deaths throughout the whole game were 9,937. Thanks to everyone for the advice, support, and encouragement. That was one heck of a game and I think I'm happy to be putting it down with a feeling of completion.

8C ended up being much more manageable than 7C. There are a few tricky timings but compared to 7C, you don't have to judge and time based on your motion as much

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2018, 05:10:07 pm »

Out of curiosity, are you guys playing this with keyboard or gamepad/controller?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2018, 05:54:45 pm »

I played on a DualShock 4, which has separate buttons for each direction, and I never had any major issues with dash direction, so I think that helped. I imagine it would be pretty frustrating to play with analog stick or single-piece d-pad.
Keyboard is probably objectively a little better.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 11:21:52 pm »

Out of curiosity, are you guys playing this with keyboard or gamepad/controller?

I played on an XBox 360 controller, using the thumbstick. Midway through the B-levels, I started wishing I had gone with keyboard instead, but I didn't want to take the time to relearn the muscle memory. As others have suggested, the difficult part about a controller is the diagonal input.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 06:10:04 pm »

Having finally gotten this game recently, this is all that is going through my head now:

If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 03:56:05 am »
+2

About 2 weeks ago, I decided to finally try Celeste (after buying it when it was on sale back in June.)

I am now hopelessly addicted. I got all the strawberries, got some of the red crystal hearts, and am on 7B for the B-sides.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 12:34:18 am »
+1

About 14k deaths later, I beat the final C-side. I had so many issues with the final jump of 8C for some reason. I'm pretty sure I died there 10 times before getting the timing right.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 12:51:42 am »

About 14k deaths later, I beat the final C-side. I had so many issues with the final jump of 8C for some reason. I'm pretty sure I died there 10 times before getting the timing right.

The first time I got there, I got the heart but died while the game was slowing down and it didn't count :(

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2018, 02:31:25 am »
+4

I bought this today can I join cool kids club

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2018, 11:10:42 am »

(belated) Congratulations!

Dying at that last moment must have been maddening. It's frustrating how 8C puts that at the very end despite not using that standing superjump move anywhere else in the game. Somehow, despite not being great at the move, I lucked into getting it right the first time I got to that section of 8C.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2018, 11:11:13 am »

I bought this today can I join cool kids club

Welcome! It's quite a journey, but a surprisingly compelling one.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:30 pm »

Is there a good dpad controller for celeste? I keep getting diagonals I don't want using the stick.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2018, 10:30:32 pm »

Is there a good dpad controller for celeste? I keep getting diagonals I don't want using the stick.

Well, there's the official Pro Controller, which is more of a traditional controller, and does have a d-pad. EDIT: I should mention it costs $70, which is a tough pill to swallow. I ended up asking for it as basically my only Christmas gift request. I'm very glad I have it now that I do.

There's also a third-party left-Joy-Con knockoff which replaces the four d-pad buttons with a d-pad. It has some uh problems, though. I think it can only be used in handheld mode? And maybe it eats the battery like crazy? I can't quite recall. I think Tim Rogers made a video about it, hold on.

https://kotaku.com/my-25-favorite-switch-games-to-play-with-a-d-pad-1828387213
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:37:57 pm by LastFootnote »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2018, 12:20:38 am »

Which platform?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2018, 12:30:41 am »

Which platform?

Ah, that’s a good question. I had assumed Switch.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2018, 09:53:42 pm »
+1

Yep Switch.  I might take the 70$ hit on that, actually.  I'm sure I'll need a Dpad again.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2018, 12:00:28 am »
+1

...am I the only the one that likes the Joycon's directional buttons?  I can be so much more precise with them than with a d-pad.  With a d-pad, I constantly hit diagonal directions when I don't want to.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.