Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Celeste  (Read 1994 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2699
    • View Profile
Re: Celeste
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2018, 12:30:25 am »

It's only certain floors where I gradually shift from upright, to right, to downleft, for different purposes during the floor, and then by the time I'm at that down left I need say, an up left dash.  But from all the gradual shifting, I've loft a sense of what angle the control stick is actually at, I'd have to look down to know.  3D games give you a constant indicator because the character moves differently for each of those tiny degrees, but based on observing your character in Celeste you only know a 45 degree range of possible positions the stick might be in from looking up at the screen.

The Nintendo 64 controller had notches at each 45 degree location which largely obviated this, but the well for the Switch stick is totally circular.

When I need a dash or certain direction from a dead stop, I don't have much if any trouble.

OH you said directional buttons. Like the x y b a.  Yeah I think those are probably very precise.  They're just stiff and tough to me.  I have a feeling if I fought the learning curve on them I'd be rewarded and yet I'm not going to.
Also you probably are an expert if you buy two bureaucrats early.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9707
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2018, 01:11:44 am »

...am I the only the one that likes the Joycon's directional buttons?  I can be so much more precise with them than with a d-pad.  With a d-pad, I constantly hit diagonal directions when I don't want to.

I don't hate them, at least for most games. Sometimes it's nice to have the d-pad, though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2018, 09:33:49 pm »

Spoil me this, are there any prize levels besides heart of the mountain and it's pretty low cost of 4 hearts?

I'm not sure I'm in enough to 100% this.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1495
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2018, 10:03:56 pm »

Spoil me this, are there any prize levels besides heart of the mountain and it's pretty low cost of 4 hearts?

Each chapter has an associated B side (harder version comparable in length to the A side) and C side (hardest version, but short). Each B side is unlocked by finding a cassette in the corresponding A side. The C sides unlock once you have completed all B sides.

The quality of the B & C sides is generally very high so I would very much recommend at least trying them. (Start with 1B or 2B, as they are easier than the rest.)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2505
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2018, 11:08:44 pm »

Each chapter has an associated B side (harder version comparable in length to the A side) and C side (hardest version, but short). Each B side is unlocked by finding a cassette in the corresponding A side. The C sides unlock once you have completed all B sides.

The quality of the B & C sides is generally very high so I would very much recommend at least trying them. (Start with 1B or 2B, as they are easier than the rest.)

Adding to this, the B-side to heart of the mountain requires getting every other heart in the game. (Well, you get hearts for the C-sides, but they won't be unlocked at that point.)

1B starts at a bit under Chapter 7 A-side in difficulty and then it ramps up from there.

If you can beat all the B-sides, you can beat all the C-sides, as long as you have the patience.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2018, 08:23:45 pm »

I gave up when some strawberries were too hard to find, hurt my completionist soul

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2561
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 09:46:40 pm »

I gave up when some strawberries were too hard to find, hurt my completionist soul

I gave up trying to get some of the golden strawberries, hurt my completionist soul
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9707
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 11:40:24 am »

Has anybody played TowerFall? It just came out for the Switch recently, but it's been around since 2013 (originally released on the Ouya, if you can believe it). I'm asking here since it's the first game by the guy/company that made Celeste, and it has a similar aesthetic. And in the Switch version you can actually play as Madeline or Badeline.

Unlike Celeste, it's a local (not online) multiplayer game, with both competitive and co-op modes. I played a bunch of it last night with a couple of friends and it's a real blast. Lots of laughs. Each player controls an archer that (normally) starts with 3 arrows. One hit (normally) kills another player, so it's very fast-paced. But once you shoot your arrows, you have to retrieve them. Or you can retrieve other players' arrows. And there are quite a few random power-ups and different types of special arrows, etc.

I don't recommend it as a single-player experience, but if you can get a few people together in the same room, it's well worth $20. It supports up to 6 players on the Switch.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1495
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2018, 06:49:53 pm »
+1

Are you aware that, on the world map, you can view which subchapters are missing berries and in which order? Also, that the pause screen shows which berries you've collected (ever, and in the current play) and their order? I found these two sources of info very useful when collecting the last few berries.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 01:21:03 am »
+1

The former, I knew, it is still so hard, I rammed my face into every pixel I swear.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.